E-on want to install a Smart meter

Soldato
On a tangent has snyone else notice the cost of gas and electric has shot up massively.
Yep, they've predicted another price rise that will push more families into poverty.

I remember when I 1st moved into this house (1999) it had prepayment meters and I used to put £20 in gas and £10 in electric every month, now my combined gas and electric is £120 a month via DD on a saver tariff!

Caporegime
Do you not book days off just to have some time off from everyone else? Just get it done then.

I don't want a smart meter. I'm not against them I just want to wait until they have ones that are refined and much smarter.

The gen1 ones were a failure and I'm sure gen2 ones only fixed the major issues. I'd rather wait for the better ones.

I'd also like to coincide the meter install with a solar battery install to keep downtime to a minimum.

Soldato
Is it possible to change to any provider now with a smart meter? Can you be offered flat rate tariffs still?

It's always been possible and a smart meter gives you is access to non-flat rate tariffs alongside the normal flat rate tariffs.

There are no real downsides, you might as well get one as you've already paid for it through your bills.

Soldato
It's always been possible and a smart meter gives you is access to non-flat rate tariffs alongside the normal flat rate tariffs.

There are no real downsides, you might as well get one as you've already paid for it through your bills.

Ah, my understanding was it makes it difficult to change providers. Has that changed now?

My current electric isn't even economy 7. Will it force me onto an economy 7 tariff?

Soldato
It has always been possible but until recently you would lose the smart features of the meter.

It took my Ovo energy meter about 18 months before it "became" compatible with my Bulb provider.

You don't need any particular fancy tariff. It just becomes available should you want them. Octopus IIRC are go-to if you have an EV for example.

Soldato
Ah, my understanding was it makes it difficult to change providers. Has that changed now?

My current electric isn't even economy 7. Will it force me onto an economy 7 tariff?

Like I said, it was always been possible. A smart meter can be used in dumb mode without any issues what so ever other than having to take manual readings. Early smart meters lost smart functionality when you changed provider but that's largely resolved for years now and most older smart meters have been migrated to the V2 smart system. Any new meter install will be V2 and changing provider has no impact on its ability to automatically submit readings when you change supplier.

You are not forced to go onto an eco7 style tariff but a smart meter does open the door to them if that is what you want without having to get a special eco7 meter like you needed in the old days. It also opens the door to other types of tariffs which have full dynamic pricing such as Octopus agile. Like I said, this doesn't mean you must change to one of these tariffs, normal flat rate tariffs are also available as they are now. The smart meter just gives you the option to go down that route if that what floats your boat.

Soldato
my energy company insisted on installing one even though there was no wifi where i live so it doesnt work lol.
I think you mean mobile signal???
Same here too,Eon pestered us to have a Smart meter a few years back .We caved in and a guy came to install one,after trying for most of the day he gave up.Could not get a signal.Replaced meter with an ordinary NEW meter and that was where the fun began
Eon saying that readings were wrong etc etc etc
Took weeks of faffing about to get them to accept the new readings
AND even now they STILL keep pestering us to get a Smart meter :mad:

Soldato
Doesn't require WiFi to work.
I think you mean mobile signal???
Same here too,Eon pestered us to have a Smart meter a few years back .We caved in and a guy came to install one,after trying for most of the day he gave up.Could not get a signal.Replaced meter with an ordinary NEW meter and that was where the fun began
Eon saying that readings were wrong etc etc etc
Took weeks of faffing about to get them to accept the new readings
AND even now they STILL keep pestering us to get a Smart meter :mad:

Yes your right, mobile signal. It doesnt work anyway the guy told me.

They insisted on installing it saying that there might be a signal in the future.

Can't type for toffee
Don
My experience would say about 80% as a rough figure :D.

5Ghz brigade, BNP types, AntiVaxxers Social Media and FB has a lot to answer for

You can change to whomever you want, wether the smart meter will work with them is another matter.
Our smart meter worked with British Gas when it was installed, hasn't worked wiht a single provider since

Associate
We had a first gen meter installed with Eon but when we left for SSE it wasn't compatable with them so had to have the old style meters refitted.
Now we are with Bulb who after a year of us sending meter readings seem to think we still have the first gen meters.
They have been sending emails saying the can get the first gen meters to work with them.Must be some software upgrade they can push to the meters.

Soldato
We had a first gen meter installed with Eon but when we left for SSE it wasn't compatable with them so had to have the old style meters refitted.
Now we are with Bulb who after a year of us sending meter readings seem to think we still have the first gen meters.
They have been sending emails saying the can get the first gen meters to work with them.Must be some software upgrade they can push to the meters.
Very strange that they replaced the old meters - must have been in the very early days of getting going?

Back
Top Bottom