E-on want to install a Smart meter

Associate
Scottish power want me to install a smart meter but I’m just ignoring them. Renting at the moment and when I moved in a year ago I noticed the economy 7 meter had the rates the wrong way round. I tried to tell them but they just said I was confused and it was correct.

I’m now paying 9p for 16 hours a day and 19p for 8 hours. On my bill my night time usage is over double my day rate.

Associate
Don't get one man. This whole conspiracy goes back to the Three Day Week in the 70s. The Tories want all homes to have these meters so they can monitor your usage and use them to limit your access to power when the crunch comes. Mark my words those with smart meters will only be given power when the government allows it.

As for only working 9 to 5 - I have it on good authority that the installers are lizards (like the royal family) and need to scuttle back under their heat lamps outside these hours.

Stay safe. Keep them out of your homes!

Associate
Scottish power want me to install a smart meter but I’m just ignoring them. Renting at the moment and when I moved in a year ago I noticed the economy 7 meter had the rates the wrong way round. I tried to tell them but they just said I was confused and it was correct.

I’m now paying 9p for 16 hours a day and 19p for 8 hours. On my bill my night time usage is over double my day rate.

Hope you are saving up!

They will spot it one day and will slap you with a massive retrospective bill!

Associate
They can only go a year back now iirc. Worth the risk anyway, you only pay back what you owe.

Agree it is worth the risk, and having warned them I would do the same as you. But I would also be aware of the potential downside, as no doubt it will all end up being your fault - or they will try to claim you diddles the meter. These companies are never wrong - well until you get Gloria Hunniford on to them.

Associate
Hope you are saving up!

They will spot it one day and will slap you with a massive retrospective bill!

Can only back date it a year if it’s their mistake which it is. The meter is labelled wrong and they confirmed the readings I gave where what they wanted when I signed up. Seems it’s been wrong since it was installed so the last tenants got cheap electric for gods knows how long.

Caporegime
E.on want me to install a smart meter too, but I signed up years ago so they can't force it.

don't see the point I can see how much electric I use anyway cos it's a key meter... I only use 1quid a day.

why would I want a smart meter? I can look at the meter and see how much credit it has, I can check how much it drains each day...

they don't seem to do meter readings with top up meters anyway and never asked me for one

Soldato
E.on want me to install a smart meter too, but I signed up years ago so they can't force it.

don't see the point I can see how much electric I use anyway cos it's a key meter... I only use 1quid a day.

why would I want a smart meter? I can look at the meter and see how much credit it has, I can check how much it drains each day...

they don't seem to do meter readings with top up meters anyway and never asked me for one
Aren't key ones more expensive to run (I assume to have to top it up?).

Soldato
Why are you ‘buckling under the pressure’?

Outside of them having to attend on a day you choose and turn the power off for 15 mins, there are no downsides. Like I said, you have already paid for it and will continue to pay for it regardless so you might as well get the few benefits it brings.

Associate
I have a gen2 but it doesn’t work. Same sort of issues others have mention. Was an awful install that I had to stay in for and they arrived when it suited them and now it’s gone back to being a dumb meter as there is no reception in my basement.

Seems like a massive waste of money / job creation scheme. They could have spent 10 billion on green energy support…

Caporegime
Aren't key ones more expensive to run (I assume to have to top it up?).
I checked it out when I first moved in years ago, I think it was about 5-10p worse standing charge per day which is pretty bad considering my energy usage and about 1-3p per kw/h more than regular billing.

I think there was some law that passed to protect people on key meters since then but I could be wrong.

got 0 debts, probably not much of a credit rating though cos I haven't had a credit card in over 10 years and when I did I never really used them.

I'm fine with a key personally I find it rather convenient, I live near a 24hour petrol station where I can easily top up anytime

Caporegime
I checked it out when I first moved in years ago, I think it was about 5-10p worse standing charge per day which is pretty bad considering my energy usage and about 1-3p per kw/h more than regular billing.

I think there was some law that passed to protect people on key meters since then but I could be wrong.

got 0 debts, probably not much of a credit rating though cos I haven't had a credit card in over 10 years and when I did I never really used them.

I'm fine with a key personally I find it rather convenient, I live near a 24hour petrol station where I can easily top up anytime

I remember renting and after moving in I found this weird system. Never even knew about them before this. First I noticed is when the electricity stopped. Took me a while to figure out!

Ugh, how many times did I forget about to topping up. Then during a shower the electric would go off. So boiler did too. Cue me having to go outside in December in a towel and do the emergency 'overdraft' thing in sub 0C temps

Absolutely horrible. It took a while to get rid with credit checks etc.

Caporegime
oh damn I just checked the Eon website I pay
Unit rate

Normal 19.866p per kWh
Standing charge

30.818p per day

standing charge is so damn high :O, electric rate too according to google by about 5p.

pretty much a rip off considering I pay in advance befrore I use it, you used to be able to change packages on the E.on website but now it doesn't give me the choice because "I don't have a smart meter" what a scam since it used to be possible to choose from around 4 different packages

I really don't use that much anyway though so meh. (ignore the balance it's always wrong right now it's £48 in credit which probably lasts me about 1.5months)
topped up £40 last night but it doesn't show on the statement yet
( eZZsyIi.jpg

worse are my water rates £35 a month when I live alone, on a meter I would probably be paying about £10. if I was hard up I would change packages and get a water meter.

I remember renting and after moving in I found this weird system. Never even knew about them before this. First I noticed is when the electricity stopped. Took me a while to figure out!
when I was a teen in the 90s I remember some of my mates parents had TV's with a coin slot on them lol......

Last edited:
Associate
Had one fitted by eon 4 months ago apart from the home display not working properly for a few days eventually it corrected it self everything has been good

Soldato
That's a terrible tariff, you're paying far too much. You'd be saving a decent amount of money on a meter with a better tariff/provider.
I'm not sure it's that much cheaper, I've been hunting as mine ends next month and a lot of places are expensive, imo the standing charge costs tends to be peanuts compared to the actual usage costs.

Soldato
I'm not sure it's that much cheaper, I've been hunting as mine ends next month and a lot of places are expensive, imo the standing charge costs tends to be peanuts compared to the actual usage costs.

I appreciate it all depends where you live so direct comparisons are a bit pointless, but I'm on 20p per day standing charge and 12p per unit with PFP.

Back
Top Bottom