• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

E5200 Overclocking and performance comparison.

Soldato
I think the thing to realise here (and I reckon everyone does) is that while we all agree that high temps can and does damage cpus over time, we can all do summat about, ie: extreme air/water cooler, vapochill, phase change, etc. The prob with dangerously high cpu voltages is that you can't do anything about it, you set that voltage and the cpu has to suffer:D it for as long as takes until the cpu is flogged on or degrades to a point where it refuse to overclock or even run stable at stock:)

Associate
True enough, poor ole CPUs ;)

pastymuncher

Thermal throttling will stop instant death true, but if a CPU were to regularly throttle due to over heating it would shorten it's life.

55C is rather too conservative, personally I wouldn't want it to go over 65C, & that's still well within safe limits. But hey it's not law ;).
And no I'm not a smart alec nor nit picking, maybe I did read your comment out of context, that's because it wasn't clear, it is now - the end.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Any of you guys running these babies with a GTX280? Wondering what overclock I need to maximise the new GPU effect and if I should ditch the E5200 altogether. Loathed to upgrade CPU again with Core i7 out - though I wont be touching that until you can build a reasonable rig for £500 (say 2010).

My setup should get the best out of my chip tho (P5Q-Deluxe, Lapped TRUE with 2 P12s and some decent general airflow).What kinda 24/7 stable o/cs might get on such cooling?

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Any of you guys running these babies with a GTX280? Wondering what overclock I need to maximise the new GPU effect and if I should ditch the E5200 altogether. Loathed to upgrade CPU again with Core i7 out - though I wont be touching that until you can build a reasonable rig for £500 (say 2010).

My setup should get the best out of my chip tho (P5Q-Deluxe, Lapped TRUE with 2 P12s and some decent general airflow).What kinda 24/7 stable o/cs might get on such cooling?

People who buy these tend to be on the budget side (tight git in my case) and not team them up with a 280. Mines paired up with a 3850. Other's are more likely to be with a 4670/9800Gt or similar. There was a guy further up though that ditched a E8400 for one of these. I believe he had a 280. Not phinix though.

Clocking wise it's a bit hit and miss. Mine will only do 3.6Ghz prime stable as i will not give it more than 1.4v. I can boot into windows and bench at 4ghz but it fails prime within a hour. Tried it in two boards as well as water and air cooling. Some people are stuck at 3.2ghz and other's are at 3.75ghz with good volts. There's no way to predict what anyone will get. Does'nt seem to matter what steppings you have either.

Caporegime
Ahhh ok mate - if it doesnt do 3.2Ghz easily or something Ill sell it - might aswell get something soon to replace it - though not until I see an Intel price drop :p. Only GTA4 wants more than dual-core...

Will try and find GTX280 reviews to see what Im lumbering it with :p

Associate
Excellent post, must have taken you ages to do all those benchmarks. Thanks!

E5200 is pretty high on my list for a new build now :)

Associate
You have taken us out of context. People were saying thing's like, i am running at 1.4v but my cpu's nice and cool so still have some headroom left yet. It was then that myself and pieman posted about temps. It was obvious that we meant it did'nt matter how low the temps were and that the voltage would still kill them. These are 45nm Wolfdale cores and i have first hand experience of one degrading due to voltage despite being on high end custom watercooling with a window mounted rad. Temps never went above 40 degrees even at load but the cpu still degraded in less than two weeks.

Incidentaly, a cpu should throttle long before it cooks itself anyway. Unless you turn thermal throttling off in the bios that is. Personally i would'nt want temps over 55 degrees on any cpu, air or water cooled.

You got me really concerned here. I was thinking about getting a dude's beat up case with wc attached to it which seems to keep his q6600 at reasonably low temps.

However, would it be worthy of pairing up watercooling with e5200 for 24/7oc for 1, 1.5 years? from what I've read, it serves me no good to have the temps low as long as long as voltage is high (safe would be <1.4 ?).

Thanks.

Man of Honour
OP
You got me really concerned here. I was thinking about getting a dude's beat up case with wc attached to it which seems to keep his q6600 at reasonably low temps.

However, would it be worthy of pairing up watercooling with e5200 for 24/7oc for 1, 1.5 years? from what I've read, it serves me no good to have the temps low as long as long as voltage is high (safe would be <1.4 ?).

Thanks.

As long as the voltage is at 1.4v or lower you should be ok. All of my rig's are overclocked from the day i build them. My main rig in siggy was built and clocked to 4.5Ghz within 48 hours. It is high end custom watercooled and temps are extremely low. Never above 40 degrees on the cpu even under load. Even the 4870 which is quite a hot running gpu under normal conditions never goes above 35 degrees.

You have to remember that these are 45nm Wolfdale cores, even the E5200, and are very sensitive to high voltages. The point we were trying to make above was that some people were running their cpu's with 1.5v+ but saying it's all right as the temps are nice and low. It makes no difference if you have it under phase cooling and it's running at -30 degrees. The high voltage will still kill it. If you stick below 1.4v it should be fine.

Incidentaly, mine is now doing 3.6GHz prime stable with only 1.3v compared to the 1.325v it needed when i did the test's. The only change i have made is to flash to a newer bios on the Gigabyte P35 DS3R that it is now in. Maybe it has a bit more overclocking headroom to come now. may have a go this week.

Man of Honour
OP
Pasty
Awesome o/c on the 8500! :cool:, that's gotta be right near the top end of what's achieveable isn't?

Gurusan's does more than mine. I do believe it's got more in it though as 4.5Ghz was easy. I just can't be bothered to try. I like using the pc for gaming rather than keep going for that little bit more. Maybe one day i shall try.

Associate
Incidentaly, mine is now doing 3.6GHz prime stable with only 1.3v compared to the 1.325v it needed when i did the test's. The only change i have made is to flash to a newer bios on the Gigabyte P35 DS3R that it is now in. Maybe it has a bit more overclocking headroom to come now. may have a go this week.

Thanks for the reply. For the moment, I think I'll get a Zerotherm fz-120 to cool the e5200.

As for the board, I'm choosing between the cheaper Gigabyte EP31-DS3L and the more expensive MSI P43 NeoF. Would the first be OK?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Thanks for the reply. For the moment, I think I'll get a Zerotherm fz-120 to cool the e5200.

As for the board, I'm choosing between the cheaper Gigabyte EP31-DS3L and the more expensive MSI P43 NeoF. Would the first be OK?

The Neo-F boards are abysmal. I have had a the misfortune of having both P31 and P35 Neo-F boards (until they were rapidly returned). Very cheap and nasty bug ridden pieces of junk.

The Gigabyte EP31 DS3L on the other hand is an exceptional board. It will put many more expensive boards to shame. It overclocks briliantly. I had a E2180 to 3.6Ghz on one. The only downside is that you can't use more than a pair of single sided memory sticks.

Back
Top Bottom