• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

E5200 Overclocking and performance comparison.

Associate
I have an E5200 in another rig on stock volts doing 3.4 gig, the motherboard has no voltage commands - P5nMX. I think in a better board it'd fly.

Man of Honour
OP
Electron migration is not really affected by temprature (my understanding) though, it will happen even at subzero temps with high voltage.

Correct. *Temps do not make the slightest difference.* It's the voltage that counts.

Balls, you are only 0.045v away from the voltage that killed my first E8500. That was only run at that voltage (1.52v) for short periods and still degraded in less than 10 days.

***Edit*** Just to clear things up. As most people will realise, high temps are bad. What i was referring too was it does'nt matter even if you use phase cooling and the cpu is -10 degrees or whatever ridiculously low temps they give. If you still have a high voltage it will kill the cpu. Just to make myself clear so that no other smart alec can nit-pick. It's obvious that we meant it did'nt matter how low your temps are as people were stating low temps.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've not run mine 24/7 at 1.475 but under water it is keeping it nice and cool

As said previously, its nothing to do with temps at all, its all to do with the applied voltage. Electron migration can occur at all relatively low temps and this is the result of to high a voltage. theres been a few threads I've read in the past where ppl have crippled their cpus when over volting them. These cpus are not like the earlier E series cpus where you can go up to 1.5v and possibly a tad higher, the newer ones like these E5200 etc, have a MAX limit of around 1.4v vcore. If I were you I'd drop the voltage to 1.4v Vcore otherwise you'd be looking at cpu degradation, it'll be just be a matter of how long it takes.

Associate
Lumeycom, I have the same chip & motherboard as you. Could you post your bios settings please?

Mainly the 'softmenu' page settings and 'advanced/cpuconfiguration' settings. It would be cool if you could as it will maybe help me with my settings:)

Associate
Reading some previous posts I take it that a higher FSB with a lower multiplier will be faster than a lower FSB and high multiplier with this chip?

Associate
I bit off topic, or maybe not.. Can someone show some test results or tell me what fps you guys get in games (Crysis, 1920x1200, v.high/high) with your e5200@~3.6-4GHz?
Just for comparision, I'm at the point of buying new cpu and I'm very close to decide to buy this little fella....

Man of Honour
OP
I bit off topic, or maybe not.. Can someone show some test results or tell me what fps you guys get in games (Crysis, 1920x1200, v.high/high) with your e5200@~3.6-4GHz?
Just for comparision, I'm at the point of buying new cpu and I'm very close to decide to buy this little fella....

Not instead of your E8400? That would be a big backward step. You certainly won't get a E5200 to 4Ghz either.

Man of Honour
OP
I'm asking for results - yo did a lot of tests on these, but do you have any for Crysis in high res and details?

No need to get shirty. You are asking for results due to buying a new cpu and settling on one of these. In your siggy you have a E8400 so i presumed it was to replace that. We have already had one person swap to one of these from a E8400. Even at the lower end the E5200 would'nt match a E8400. Crysis does'nt particularly matter as it is a gpu limited game not a cpu limited one. It's a poorly coded game anyway.

No i don't have any results. Try the Crysis benchmark thread to see if anyone is running one.

Associate
No need to get shirty. You are asking for results due to buying a new cpu and settling on one of these. In your siggy you have a E8400 so i presumed it was to replace that. We have already had one person swap to one of these from a E8400. Even at the lower end the E5200 would'nt match a E8400. Crysis does'nt particularly matter as it is a gpu limited game not a cpu limited one. It's a poorly coded game anyway.

No i don't have any results. Try the Crysis benchmark thread to see if anyone is running one.

OK, thanks, I'll try there.

Associate
Correct. Temps do not make the slightest difference. It's the voltage that counts.

I beg to differ, this article at least shows that voltage and temperature affect CPU life.
E8500 review

(Note I'm not arguing the fact that seriously over volting a CPU will kill it quick).

Hopefully I'll be buying a E5200 soon for my 2nd PC, I look forwards to seeing what it'll overclock to :D, & curious to see if their is a low FSB wall......

Last edited:
Soldato
I beg to differ, this article at least shows that voltage and temperature affect CPU life.
E8500 review

(Note I'm not arguing the fact that seriously over volting a CPU will kill it quick).

Hopefully I'll be buying a E5200 soon for my 2nd PC, I look forwards to seeing what it'll overclock to :D, & curious to see if their is a low FSB wall......

All cpus will degrade with excessive heat over time, but in the case of overclocking, heat is a by product of increased vcore obviously. The point being made here is that the cpus will handle heat better by using a decent heatsink/ fan assembly, and if it gets to be a problem in extreme circumstances the cpu will throttle it's speed down to protect itself. In other words you can use measures to counter the effects of heat.
With very high voltages theres nothing you can do to avoid the effects of degradation, you've just gotta live with it and hope the cpu starts to loose it's overclock/stability, etc, later rather than sooner.

Man of Honour
OP
E8500 review

What i meant was it did'nt matter how low the temps were. It is obvious that high temps are bad.

Associate
Fair enough ;)

Correct. Temps do not make the slightest difference. It's the voltage that counts. - pastymuncher

Pieman109
The point being made by you & pasty was that temperature makes no difference to cpu life - not true (apparently).
Extra heat is naturally also a by product of increased clock speed, although extra vcore has a much bigger impact (which you did allude to).
I think your main point originally was that overly high vcore kills quickly, totally fair enough & I totally agree :), I was just saying that temperature does have some impact to CPU life too.

Btw I have a 9 1/2 yr old Celeron 366 @550 that still works :), the beauty of that CPU & many of it's family was that it only needed a tiny increase in vcore to hit that speed (def 2v ,increased to 2.05v). Of course that rig is only any use as legacy PC these days, & light internet use at a push ;).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Fair enough ;)

Correct. Temps do not make the slightest difference. It's the voltage that counts. - pastymuncher

Pieman109
The point being made by you & pasty was that temperature makes no difference to cpu life - not true (apparently).
Extra heat is naturally also a by product of increased clock speed, although extra vcore has a much bigger impact (which you did allude to).
I think your main point originally was that overly high vcore kills quickly, totally fair enough & I totally agree :), I was just saying that temperature does have some impact to CPU life too.

Btw I have a 9 1/2 yr old Celeron 366 @550 that still works :), the beauty of that CPU & many of it's family was that it only needed a tiny increase in vcore to hit that speed (def 2v ,increased to 2.05v). Of course that rig is only any use as legacy PC these days, & light internet use at a push ;).

You have taken us out of context. People were saying thing's like, i am running at 1.4v but my cpu's nice and cool so still have some headroom left yet. It was then that myself and pieman posted about temps. It was obvious that we meant it did'nt matter how low the temps were and that the voltage would still kill them. These are 45nm Wolfdale cores and i have first hand experience of one degrading due to voltage despite being on high end custom watercooling with a window mounted rad. Temps never went above 40 degrees even at load but the cpu still degraded in less than two weeks.

Incidentaly, a cpu should throttle long before it cooks itself anyway. Unless you turn thermal throttling off in the bios that is. Personally i would'nt want temps over 55 degrees on any cpu, air or water cooled.

Back
Top Bottom