EA Shuts Down Visceral Games

Soldato
I can't believe how many studios have been affected...EA should be boycotted!!

EA is shutting down Visceral Games, the studio behind games like Battlefield Hardline and Dead Space, the publisher said today. The Star Warsgame in development at Visceral will be revamped and move to a different studio, EA says, although it will now be something completely different.

“Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe,” EA’s Patrick Söderlund said in a blog post. “In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design.”

Söderlund added that Visceral will be “ramping down and closing” and that “we’re in the midst of shifting as many of the team as possible to other projects and teams at EA.”

“Lastly,” he said, “while we had originally expected this game to launch late in our fiscal year 2019, we’re now looking at a new timeframe that we will announce in the future.”

https://kotaku.com/ea-shuts-down-vi...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Soldato
Shame but they haven't made a high quality game in a while. That being said the Star Wars IP looked genuinely interesting and I suspect this is being driven by (cynic cap on!) the push to make it open world (nothing wrong with a good tight linear experience) and probably some sort of loot box monetisation...:(

Soldato
The statement basically reads

'As its a single player linear game there is no option to implement a recurring, pay to win, micro transaction laden, loot crate ridden, should be free to play but is full price revenue stream system. Therefore we are not interested, good bye Visceral'

Soldato
The statement basically reads

'As its a single player linear game there is no option to implement a recurring, pay to win, micro transaction laden, loot crate ridden, should be free to play but is full price revenue stream system. Therefore we are not interested, good bye Visceral'
That's a pretty good translation

AAA games haven't really been for me for about 10 years, but I do think it's sad that these tightly designed single player experiences are dying out at the expensive end of the market.

Man of Honour
Can't say I thought much of Hardline. I struggle to justify buying games from many publishers these days on principle and when I do eventually give them a chance I seem to end up getting burnt :(

After BF1 and the new Mass Effect I honestly wouldn't be sorry to see EA go under.

Soldato
OP
Can't say I thought much of Hardline. I struggle to justify buying games from many publishers these days on principle and when I do eventually give them a chance I seem to end up getting burnt :(

After BF1 and the new Mass Effect I honestly wouldn't be sorry to see EA go under.

Agreed!! ME wasn't that bad and I really enjoyed it but BF1, yeah...totally agree on that one!

Man of Honour
ME wasn't that bad

I can see why people would play it an enjoy it - but being a big fan of the original Mass Effect I was a bit underwhelmed and especially I felt it suffered due to publisher/developer issues and some of the bugs should never have been there in the first place after all this time, etc.

Soldato

Exactly, the new ME is one of the repetitive boring pieces of garbage I've ever wasted money on but to be fair to so is just about every single other 3rd person cover shooter these days like The Division and Wildlands. I'm amazed how people can spend hundreds of hours doing the same thing just to get a better spec pair of socks.

Man of Honour
The Division

I've been playing The Division lately - it ain't too bad but at the same time shockingly under-utilised potential - I actually enjoy relatively mindless coop versus AI and it does that OK. But I kind of expected those mechanics to make up a large part of The Division - not so much Mass Effect.

BF1, yeah...totally agree on that one!

What got me about BF1 - I jumped into the beta (bare in mind it was fairly late stage by that point) and encountered all the bugs that even in some cases go back to BF2 and some that had finally been fixed in BF4 - absolutely no excuse by that point for them to still exist even taking into account it was a beta and many still existed on release as well.

That and the gameplay mechanics took about 10 steps backwards instead of even moving forward one step ensured I didn't buy it.

Soldato
But DICE is still going, no?

giphy.gif

Soldato
OP
Yeah, unless they can pull out a miracle or the perfect release, I don't think that many people will be buying their next release. I was quite astounded to see the number of comments in that URL suggesting that the BF games won't be purchased again. They should never have continued after BF4 until they got it right - but then again, they could be a big money maker for EA.

Back
Top Bottom