EA Shuts Down Visceral Games

Caporegime
I'd forgotten that Westwood Studios and Criterion Games were both affected by EA. Not so fussed about Criterion but WW produced one of my most played childhood games. Red Alert 1,2 and YR were top dog and my all time favorite.

here here

EA are a plague to the gaming industry. Unfortunately they hold a monopoly and are so powerful they buy out smaller companies who are a threat to them then turn them into crap before shutting them down.

I played every C and C game westwood made including their FPS (renegade) which was my joint favourite alongside tiberian sun and the one before it (can't remember it's name).

They make enough cash off games like FIFA every eyar they can essentially buy out any company bar say rockstar, valve and a handful of others.

bioware still going and dice are too. in fact i think those 2 are the biggest hitters for EA i'd have thought, esp DICE with Battlefields and Battlefront series for the next x amount of years.

not a fan of EA at all, but one thing people shouldn't forget is that as times changed, it isn't always EA's fault that a studio then makes mediocre games. for instance, roller coaster tycoon when first released was the best of best games i remember. there's the new version of it now i believe partly made by the same team and i've not looked twice at it. as games have got better, expectations have too. not the case in all situations, but certainly for some.

another example is Half life. i am so sure if episode 3 were to ever be released it would be a disappointment. times have moved on and games have too. if it tanks, this wouldn't be valves fault that it's no longer relevant (which i'm sure they know hence not releasing it), however if EA were to make it for sure there would be people unfairly saying EA have caused the game to be mediocre

Soldato
Yep - linear single player experience in development that looks promising - EA say no thanks, we can’t rape the player base with micro transactions, sorry Visceral, you are closed

Just another studio consigned to the history books along with greats like Bullfrog & Westwood Studios. Seems like any developer wanting to make a great game for a great games sake is shut down because EA don’t want good games, they want games they can bloat with micro transactions and skim off all the cream.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
This is why I avoid giving them any of my money. Not a fan of EA and to a smaller extent Ubisoft. Much rather support other developers/publishers.

Caporegime
its actually pretty logically but **** for those that work there.

they havent made a decent game in a long while people keep going on about starwars but Respawn has that so why even have them ? there is no decent game and they have nothing to sell.so EA just cut loose.thats the thing EA is so big now that you have to make profit or you dead weight.thats why there games are terrible.

Soldato
not a fan of EA at all, but one thing people shouldn't forget is that as times changed, it isn't always EA's fault that a studio then makes mediocre games. for instance, roller coaster tycoon when first released was the best of best games i remember. there's the new version of it now i believe partly made by the same team and i've not looked twice at it. as games have got better, expectations have too. not the case in all situations, but certainly for some.
Pretty sure the key parts of the old rollercoaster tycoon team are on the rival Planet Coaster dev studio. The new RCT game has no real relationship to the classic ones.

Soldato
EA are the bankers of the game industry, pure leeches, wouldn't be bothered if they ever went bust, not one fresh idea comes from this company anymore, churing out thw same old crappy yawn games.

Soldato
Anyone hankering for some C&C type game play with a twist (you can create your own faction/units) keep an eye on this

http://store.steampowered.com/app/686260/Forged_Battalion/

by some ex Westwood devs.

Hah that music style.

You could do something like this before. Well, right now in fact. There were programs released that could edit the characteristics of ingame units in the WW games.

I recall fiddling the mobile artillery of tiberium sun so that its projectile explosion was a gas tank.

Tibedit? I think it works with multiple games due to them having basically the same structure underneath.

Soldato
Its no wonder Dead Space 3 sold poorly when they didn't put it on steam and followed the trend of shoehorning in some crappy coop/multiplayer component which made the single player experience suffer if reviews are any indication. I don't know if that was EAs fault or the studio, but its a shame as DS 1 and 2 were awesome horror games.

Soldato
is this really the death knell it once was though? The guys at visceral just need to get together start developing a good single player game and put it on kickstarter... who needs big publishers when the gaming public can invest when they see quality being developed e.g. recent rpgs on kickstarter divinity 2

Back
Top Bottom