EA Shuts Down Visceral Games

Soldato
When I caved and bought BF1 (from Mexico via VPN) I said to myself that it'd be the last. We've all known for a long time how EA are absolute *****, I will endeavour to steer clear as I have been doing since.

Pretty sure the key parts of the old rollercoaster tycoon team are on the rival Planet Coaster dev studio. The new RCT game has no real relationship to the classic ones.
that was the one i meant. i forgot the name but planet coaster having been made by the key team i'd consider it a roller coaster tycoon follow up to some degree. but not a single person i know plays it and would even care to. but roller coaster tycoon was played by EVERYONE and it was considered one of the best games in the entire world at the time. now planet coaster is mediocre.

Associate
Had always heard EA was a bad firm, but had nothing to do with them at first so didn't realise why.
Then I got the proof that EA was an awful company was when they killed DarkSpore, a game with single player/co-op/pvp.

Haven't bought anything from them since & never will.

Soldato
It's easy to bash EA but you'r not seeing the big picture. The gaming culture has gone mainstream and with that came the corporate fatcat, the racist, the bully, the brainless mass consumer. The average gamer nowadays is the average male, not the average nerd so the pc enthusiast or the tech-savvy youngster no longer influece the main direction of the market. You can't blame any company, no matter how large, for this situation as EA simply reacted to the changes n acted accordingly, they have no control on the market.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's easy to bash EA but you'r not seeing the big picture. The gaming culture has gone mainstream and with that came the corporate fatcat, the racist, the bully, the brainless mass consumer. The average gamer nowadays is the average male, not the average nerd so the pc enthusiast or the tech-savvy youngster no longer influece the main direction of the market. You can't blame any company, no matter how large, for this situation as EA simply reacted to the changes n acted accordingly, they have no control on the market.

the average gamer has always been the average male. Just nerds like to think themselves ahead of the game. Same with PC gamers.

Consoles have been around for like 30 years now. Handhelds too.

Soldato
the average gamer has always been the average male. Just nerds like to think themselves ahead of the game. Same with PC gamers.

Consoles have been around for like 30 years now. Handhelds too.

Have you looked into this or are you just making things up as you go?

In the 90s, the main consumer of the industry was the adolescent/young adult male and the industry reached 10-20% of the population. Now, that consumer is 35 and the industry's reach is 70% of the population.

Caporegime
Have you looked into this or are you just making things up as you go?

In the 90s, the main consumer of the industry was the adolescent/young adult male and the industry reached 10-20% of the population. Now, that consumer is 35 and the industry's reach is 70% of the population.

Just because it's mainstream now doesn't mean the market is any different. It just means a lot more buyers and a lot aren't as well informed. EA just needs a few independent companies to challenge their top money makers. They have built an effective monopoly in the sporting market. That has been their key to success nothing else.

They hold all the cards within sport which brings in so much money they have then taken over other areas by buying out successful franchises because they make so much money from sports games.

Nothing to do with gaming going mainstream. They were always in the mainstream market back when it launched. Sports are mainstream and gaming just allowed people to play their favourite sports virtually.

Gaming back in the 90's was essentially latest tech. Young males always tend to be the first to buy latest tech. How many old women do you know buying smart homeware or cryptocurrency? Virtually none. In 30 years time you will see those markets being mainstream too.

Soldato
Since 2013 I have not bought a single EA product as I have seen they retire their Origin ingame servers too early on a regular basis which makes games you bought from them unplayable as many Origin titles require constant online connections to ingame servers (like Star Wars Battlefront 1 all the season pass DLC requires a constant Origin ingame server connection).

Read the T&Cs very carefully before buying another PC game from them you would be surprised they can pull the plug on any game with only 30 days notice rendering it worthless & unplayable!

Associate
We had great games still in the early 2000s and then the Xbox 360 came out. It seemed to dumb down games and took a chunk out of the PC market.

Back
Top Bottom