EA WRC -

Associate
Update: PC Performance

"With an upcoming update to WRC, we have been working hard to address the performance issues some players are reporting on PC.

The team has been implementing Unreal's PSO system (shader-precompiling) which will address many of the stalls experienced by players in the first run of a track in various weather conditions. Alongside this, we have also targeted specific locations where framerate is sub-optimal and focussed our efforts on these areas.

The upcoming patch also contains many other fixes and optimizations. The team continues to work on optimizations for future updates."

Soldato
Hope they can patch the game up, genuinely enjoying it but there are times when it looks like a late PS3 game and, ironically the performance tanks the most then.

The rain is downright embarrassing compared to DR2.0 or even in general and so is the night lighting for the most part.

For now, I'll be happy with shader precomp and some performance fixes, maybe they can make it look consistently a bit more 2023 somewhere down the road.

Soldato
Hope they can patch the game up, genuinely enjoying it but there are times when it looks like a late PS3 game and, ironically the performance tanks the most then.

The rain is downright embarrassing compared to DR2.0 or even in general and so is the night lighting for the most part.

For now, I'll be happy with shader precomp and some performance fixes, maybe they can make it look consistently a bit more 2023 somewhere down the road.
What hardware are you running? Cant say that performance its bothering me at all now (9900k@4700, 3070, 32gb DDR4). Some initial shader compilation stutters. Other than that its smooth as butter for me. I've even managed to turn up most settings high/ultra whilst keeping framerates 80+ most of the time. I'm happy though as long as its 60+ I've never been that bother by keeping ultra high framerates though.
I will say the rain effects are a little odd, but I'm really not paying any attention to that level of detail when I'm hurtling through a stage. I do wonder if people spend more time pootling a long looking at the scenery rather than racing, thats not a dig at you mind, more generalised. We all look for different things from games. I just wonder where people have time to really admire or find fault in how it looks, as its all a big ******* blur to me :cry:

I have had one CTD last night whilst loading into a new event.
I really am getting fed up having to rebind controls every time I load up. its probably making me play it less than I would if I could just load up and smash a stage. Thats the only real fix I'm desperate for!

Soldato
What hardware are you running? Cant say that performance its bothering me at all now (9900k@4700, 3070, 32gb DDR4). Some initial shader compilation stutters. Other than that its smooth as butter for me. I've even managed to turn up most settings high/ultra whilst keeping framerates 80+ most of the time. I'm happy though as long as its 60+ I've never been that bother by keeping ultra high framerates though.
I will say the rain effects are a little odd, but I'm really not paying any attention to that level of detail when I'm hurtling through a stage. I do wonder if people spend more time pootling a long looking at the scenery rather than racing, thats not a dig at you mind, more generalised. We all look for different things from games. I just wonder where people have time to really admire or find fault in how it looks, as its all a big ******* blur to me :cry:

I have had one CTD last night whilst loading into a new event.
I really am getting fed up having to rebind controls every time I load up. its probably making me play it less than I would if I could just load up and smash a stage. Thats the only real fix I'm desperate for!

12700KF/4070/32GB DDR4/34" ultrawide.

I'm not too fused about the graphics, it's just that I don't really have to look for it or pootle about stages to look for it.

When it looks off, it just looks universally off due to the lighting and some other elements.
I perceive the scenery as how good it looks in motion in its entirety and this game is uneven on that front, that's all. I simply like good graphics and great weather effects in rally games because it adds to the atmosphere a lot.

It's not a deal breaker but considering the performance it irks me. I do get north of 80fps maxed with DLSS on quality but there are weird moments when it dips noticeably under 60fps so I was forced to drop reflections and shadow from ultra to high. It still stutters sometimes. It should absolutely fly with these graphics and there's also no excuse for it not having DLSS3.0 frame on release when even Generations had that patched in.

There are also problems with colour balance on certain stages that makes it hard to see the road properly because everything is too bright and washed out, HDR fixes it for me.

And as I've said, shader precomp is also a must because it'll start stuttering again for everyone once they update either the game or their gou driver.

The rest is good.

Last edited:
Associate
Decided to give it a try by signing up to EA Play for 79p as a new member, after the 5 hour trial runs out I can try some other EA stuff until they try charging me £4/month, I guess. I'm a car guy/rally person at heart, so unless the game turned out absolutely dreaful then I was always going to enjoy it to some extent.

I'm not running a particularly great PC (11400f, 16GB RAM and a GTX 1070), but the game automatically set most graphics options to high at 1080p for me and it seems to play fine. I haven't been into monitoring FPS for years, but it plays smooth enough for me.

I think, by far, my favourite class of car is the WRC cars from 1997-2011, I just seem to get on with them the best, and I also watched most of them blast down Welsh rally stages in real life. Although, as I was once the owner of a Peugeot 306, I did enjoy a bit of FWD action in the 306 Maxi as well. Haven't really tried Sweden or Norway, but on the first attempt of a Norwegian stage I decided to take the understeery/heavy Audi Quattro which didn't end well. Also haven't tried career mode because 5 hour trial - straight into time trial to try some cars and stages.

Just been driving and seeing what is what for the most part, but after the last couple of stages I looked at my ranking on the online leaderboard and on both occasions my times have been Top 10/Top 30 which can't be right, but I'll take it :cool:

Soldato
Patch with shader precomp and performance fixes lands tomorrow, UTC 11:00.

Patchnotes are pretty long, including visual bug fixes and other stuff, fingers crossed it works as intended.

Have been playing some everyday since early access but I'll take a break today and wait for the patch.

Last edited:
Soldato
Patch with shader precomp and performance fixes lands tomorrow, UTC 11:00.

Patchnotes are pretty long, including visual bug fixes and other stuff, fingers crossed it works as intended.

Have been playing some everyday since early access but I'll take a break today and wait for the patch.
Brilliant news.....will however miss driving off the nearest cliff after the start of a stage in a PowerPoint animation style mess :p

Soldato
Patch is out and so far so good, the stuttering at the start lines has gone for me after testing a few tracks.

Oh is there some kind of rainbow effect on the windscreen in this game ? only i keep seeing it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Patch is out and so far so good, the stuttering at the start lines has gone for me after testing a few tracks.

Oh is there some kind of rainbow effect on the windscreen in this game ? only i keep seeing it.

There is and you get that in IRL too but have heard it's more pronounced on some cars for some reason, IIRC.

Last edited:
Soldato
The stutters aren't completely gone but I seem to be getting noticeably better frames in problematic places, maxed bar reflection and shadow quality at high and I'm getting frames in the 70s in the most taxing places and around 80-100fps in general, 3440x1440, DLSS on Quality. Got 144fps for some time on one stage in Finland:p

Don't have too many problems with the graphics when it runs well except the weather effects. The 2d rain looks terrible and is awfully distracting, when you drive fast you just get small, static vertical lines moving towards you, they don't even change direction and seem to be pouring THROUGH the car at the start of the stage:p
Worst of all, the rain doesn't even decrease visibility, unlike DR2.0.

Heavy snow looks like TV static, lol. I really hope they can improve those effects a bit.

Soldato
Stutters are pretty much non existent for me now, not that they were particularly common for me in the first place. I have also seemed to have gained 20-40fps on average, where I was 60-80fps i'm not around 100-120 with occasional dips to around 80ish. Cant say I've seen any drop in visuals either, in fact I've upped it to full ultra with no discernible impact to performance.
I mean its nice to have a bit extra performance, but that was never my issue in the first place... Still need to re calibrate all but the primary input device every time I load up the game... Surely its not that difficult to fix!

I do seem to be getting Trueforce effects after all, which is nice. You can tell by revving at the start line and as you progress through the stages. I accidentally sold the car I needed to continue the rallies I had started so I basically quit and started a new season. I'm really enjoying this one, more so than dirt rally 1 and 2 so all good there.

Associate
Update 1.30 available tomorrow

The latest update for EA SPORTS™ WRC is available to download from
November 16, 11:00 UTC, and includes several improvements and bug fixes across many areas of the game.
For a full summary of the update, check out the patch notes below.

Key Fixes
  • Updated shader compilation to support seasonal variants, to further reduce the possibility of stutter on PC.
  • Updated shader compilation to support weather variants, to further reduce the possibility of stutter on PC.
  • Made multiple stability and performance improvements across the game on all platforms.

AI
  • Fixed an issue where AI damage and mishaps occurred too frequently.

Co-Driver
  • Adjusted Co-Driver call timings for the “Earliest”, “Earlier” and “Normal” settings, to deliver pace notes earlier.

Crash Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where the game would crash while joining a Quick Play Multiplayer lobby.
  • Fixed an issue where the game would crash while waiting in the pause menu at Scandia.
  • Fixed an issue where the game would crash while completing a Season of Career after winning the WRC2 Championship.

Graphics & Visuals
  • Fixed an issue where brightness in interior views was either over or underexposed in certain conditions at Mexico.
  • Fixed an issue where brightness in interior views was either over or underexposed in certain conditions at Scandia.
  • Fixed an issue where brightness in interior views was either over or underexposed in certain conditions at Sweden.

Input Devices
  • Fixed an issue where framerate would be negatively impacted by the number of peripherals connected to a player’s PC.
  • Fixed an issue where in-game menus could not be navigated while using the Fanatec ClubSport Steering Wheel BMW GT2 V2.
  • Fixed an issue where in-game menus could not be navigated while using the Fanatec ClubSport Steering Wheel F1® Esports V2.
  • Fixed an issue where in-game menus could not be navigated while using the Fanatec CSL DD with the Fanatec CSL Elite Steering Wheel McLaren GT3 V2.
  • Fixed an issue where in-game menus could not be navigated while using the Fanatec CSL Elite Wheel Base.
  • Fixed an issue where in-game menus could not be navigated while using the Fanatec GT DD Pro with the Fanatec ClubSport Steering Wheel BMW GT2 V2.
  • Fixed an issue where in-game menus could not be navigated while using the Fanatec Podium Hub.

Locations
  • Made a number of performance improvements and optimisations to Finland, including reducing the possibility of screen tearing.
  • Made a number of performance improvements and optimisations to Japan, including reducing the possibility of screen tearing.
  • Made a number of performance improvements and optimisations to Kenya, including reducing the possibility of screen tearing.
  • Made a number of performance improvements and optimisations to Mediterraneo, including reducing the possibility of screen tearing.
  • Made a number of performance improvements and optimisations to Mexico, including reducing the possibility of screen tearing.
  • Fixed an issue where wet surfaces were using dry weather physics at Oceania.

Options & Settings
  • Changed the default Graphics settings for Reflections to Medium, when using High or Ultra graphics presets, to reduce CPU throttling (note: does not overwrite custom selected settings).

Server Connectivity
  • Fixed an issue which caused players to receive error CE-108255-1 when connecting to EA servers.

UDP
  • Fixed an issue where End, Pause and Resume telemetry channels were being re-sent every frame.

User Interface & HUD
  • Fixed an issue where split timings were comparing driver performance to the overall stage winner, and not the current stage leader.

The next patch after this is expected to release some time around the end of Rally Pass Season 1, in mid December.

Hopefully this will finally address the stutters.

Soldato
Still stutters like a **********er at the start sometimes so I'm landing in ditches occasionally.. Same thing happens when you drive through water. Driver change + game update did their thing as I've said. It sure as hell doesn't precompile everything.

Have seen 60fps(!) in Mexico town sections at night, mind-boggling.

Last edited:
Soldato
If anything the latest update has made it worse for me. I wasnt really experiencing stuttering before, now I am... Its quite bad as well when the stage first loads in :(
Good news is between the patches and Moza software update with WRC config I no longer have to reconfigure controls every time.

Soldato
If anything the latest update has made it worse for me. I wasnt really experiencing stuttering before, now I am... Its quite bad as well when the stage first loads in :(
Good news is between the patches and Moza software update with WRC config I no longer have to reconfigure controls every time.

Yeah, same here, the previous update made the stuttering a bit better and now its worse but I also updated the nvidia driver + the latest patch which most likely cleared the cache so it seems precomp isn't working entirely as it should and the game still compiles stuff on the fly.

Last edited:
Associate
Yep same too. Stutters at start of new stage, then at random points through stages enough to ruin the enjoyment. Definitely a step backwards.

Previous WRC titles are better than this janky mess! Shame as it's got potential. May have to revisit it later on down the line if they ever get round to sorting the issues.

Back
Top Bottom