Earliest age for a child to start kickboxing.

Associate
So, we live a town where pretty much anything is accepted and as a result everybody in the town is wet, and about as streetwise as a pink shoe-lace.

Their's nothing around here so eventually our kids are gonna wanna be going out where it's not as easy as they'll be used to, so we're gonna prepare them with kickboxing (hopefully Muay Thai if I can find a near enough club).

I've got a long background in martial arts although it's been about 10 years since i've been involved, so I've started preparing at home so when I return I'll be in good shape. We're planning on going as a family, so the instructor won't have to worry about controlling the kids, they'll behave for us.

Our oldest just turned 3, I'm thinking maybe 4 or 5 before I start taking him to training, once the twins are 4 or 5 then SWAMBO will start coming too with the other two.

So, fours years of age / five years of age?

Anybody had a similar experience?

Man of Honour
Personally I think its a bit young - but when I was at school everyone seemed to start doing Karate/Judo around the same time as they started junior school :S

Permabanned
Its actually good to start at 5-6 so they maintain their childhood flexibility.

Had a couple of kids in my karate classes that started at age 5 and they ended up really awesome.

Associate
I can't say that I've had similar experience's though my daughter is approaching the age of starting muay thai; which i've vowed to do ever since she was born.

My daughter is 4 now, and will probably wait until she is 5 or 6 before i start her in muay thai.

My nephew's kick boxing instructor starting his young girls off in kickboxing at three from what i can recall. They're are both 13 now, and are brilliant, and have won lots of competitions.

Soldato
my brother starting gymnastics at 2, not really relevant, but hes very, very good, and i will be supporting him in rio.

If i every have kids, they will be starting boxing, at 5 ish. as, i want them to defend themselves when its needed.

Man of Honour
^^ Doesn't really work like that, whole different story putting self defense skills into action in a real life scenario or even offensive martial arts for that matter.

Pretty much everyone in my year except myself (parent forbade it) did either judo or karate but only 2-3 of them were capable of taking me or defending against me in a fight and those were the ones (generally) from rough backgrounds who were streetwise and been in a few real fights.

Last edited:
Soldato
My kids (4 and 5) both do Wu-Tan Kung Fu as there mother is a teacher as a rule the class is from 6 and above but both the kids love it and are fully active in an hour long class.

Its not a case of they will behave but more making sure they are not to tired for the class before hand.

I see my kids on a Tuesday and if we have been out and about doing whatever they can be very tired and not want to do anything in the class, or just join in on the 'Fun' parts.

Find a class have a good chat to the Master/Teacher and see what they say. :)

Associate
I go to Muay Thai and take my eldest boy (10) once or twice a week for a couple of years, my other boys are 3 & 4 and I teach them bits at home, but probablly won't take them to class until they are about 7/8.

Associate
^^ Doesn't really work like that, whole different story putting self defense skills into action in a real life scenario or even offensive martial arts for that matter.

Pretty much everyone in my year except myself (parent forbade it) did either judo or karate but only 2-3 of them were capable of taking me or defending against me in a fight and those were the ones (generally) from rough backgrounds who were streetwise and been in a few real fights.

are you a big fella?

believe it or not, size DOES matter. :D
you are right, but the way you should make the comparison is by looking at the kid's chances before and after taking up a sport. If you're a strong fella that knows basic stuff than those half the size of you will have a lot of trouble even when they have a fair amount of experience under their belts.

Permabanned
Being skinny / underweight is a huge advantage in martial arts though, particularly once you get to the point of being able to do jumping / spinning / flying leg kicks of destruction +9000.

Man of Honour
Being skinny / underweight is a huge advantage in martial arts though, particularly once you get to the point of being able to do jumping / spinning / flying leg kicks of destruction +9000.

Not if the big guy gets hold of you, I've got a mate who is a black belt in jitsu but stick him with my other mate who's just 20st of brawler and as soon as he can use his weight as an advantage the black belt is done.

Permabanned
Not if the big guy gets hold of you, I've got a mate who is a black belt in jitsu but stick him with my other mate who's just 20st of brawler and as soon as he can use his weight as an advantage the black belt is done.

Bruce Lee would have disagreed :p

Oh ju jitsu is different, weight helps there because its all about grabs / throws.

Man of Honour
are you a big fella?

believe it or not, size DOES matter. :D
you are right, but the way you should make the comparison is by looking at the kid's chances before and after taking up a sport. If you're a strong fella that knows basic stuff than those half the size of you will have a lot of trouble even when they have a fair amount of experience under their belts.

Not that big - I was however quick on my feet and been in a few real fights. My friends were too used to the opponent following through the motions - didn't really work so well when someone grappled back, etc.

The only real advantage to training kids martial arts as a form of defense is giving them the awareness and process for dealing with the situation which they can potentially use to avoid getting into a fight in the first place... even thats liable to go out the window in the first real confrontation.

Caporegime

Yeah, martial arts are just that, not self defence. A knife is far better than any self defence class anyway.

Caporegime
Actually no, a knife / bat / club are very easy to defend against for a trained martial artist unless snuck up on.

A gun however cannot be defended against.

A gun in useless in close combat, that's one of the first things you are taught in self defence. A knife can save you from many attacks, eg if grabbed from behind in a bear hug or choke hold the attacker is very vulnerable to a knife.

Man of Honour
Actually no, a knife / bat / club are very easy to defend against for a trained martial artist unless snuck up on.

A gun however cannot be defended against.

Depends - someone shooting at you from 20feet not much is gonna help you that doesn't have kevlar stamped on it - up close with a gun aimed at you someone with some real street fighting experience coupled with krav maga or a similiar martial art would stand a chance.

I'd put my money on the guy with a knife tho most of the time against someone relatively competant at martial arts - the ones I know who can pull it off are usually those with down and dirty fighting experience in their past or even just boxing with a bit of martial arts thrown in later.

Back
Top Bottom