Earliest age for a child to start kickboxing.

i have never had a problem using my opponents weight to my advantage but this may have something to do with the fact that i am 6 foot and 12.5 stone :confused:

I dunno, my mate's about 6 foot 1 and 13 stone, and I can pick him up and move him quite easily, he however can't use my weight at all. Your experience may be with people your own weight, which you are comfortable with. My mate's said sparing with me makes him a lot more confident sparing with people in his weight class because he's used to dealing with my weight class.

I dunno, my mate's about 6 foot 1 and 13 stone, and I can pick him up and move him quite easily, he however can't use my weight at all. Your experience may be with people your own weight, which you are comfortable with. My mate's said sparing with me makes him a lot more confident sparing with people in his weight class because he's used to dealing with my weight class.

yes most of my experiences are with same weight as me give or take a few pounds

yes most of my experiences are with same weight as me give or take a few pounds

See, if you check my post, you'll see I have a 7 stone+ advantage. He's got a lot less bodyfat than I do, but I'm still a good few classes ahead in terms of strength as well, but people of that weight that I've spared with, I've always found them very manageable and easy to control and manipulate in terms of their own weight.

Now I know it's not entirely based on the size and weight of someone, but it definitely helps a huge amount.

I think the main situation where a weaker person with technique can overcome some one much stronger, is when the stronger person has absolutely no technique and is slow and cumbersome.

From my own perspective and experience, you need a good combination of strength and technique.

^pretty much this.
For example I am a bit over 15 stone but I always won when fighting a 11.5stone judo brown belt both standing and on the ground even though I was only an orange belt in jitsu then. He clearly has more technique but not enough to compensate for the weight and strength difference.

Similarly, we had a 10ish stone tall girl who could easily perform all the throws on me when sparring with immaculate technique. However 1on1 with me actually trying there is no competition and she was a national champion purple belt when I was an orange belt.

You can try and find a club where you can opt your kids out of sparring.

Karate would be better for that as they can do do katas instead.

Bit pointless though doing martial arts yet opting out of sparing? I spoke a 3rd dan in Karate and he told me you can do all the training but if you haven't built up your pain endurance you'll be no good in a real streetfight.

OP Don't you think you should wait until your child is about 7-8 and let him decide if he wants to do martial arts?

When they can stand on 2 legs?

Seriously I started Karate when i was 5, but i didn't do it with my parents though, aren't you a bit out of their weight class? Not sure why you feel the need to attend the lessons if you want them to be streetwise. They'll need to learn to be on their own.

To me streetwise is about being able to get out of sticky situations and anticipate them so probably best to avoid fights, but if you can't then learning martial art can help. Utimately if you want them to be street warriors then the best school is probably the school of hard knocks - nothing beats first hand experience and a few black eyes that come along with it which you never learn in any classroom ;)

Last edited:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I train Muay Thai boxing. I do not ever plan to use it on the street. It's just a really good way to keep fit.

Well I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to the OP's comments.

So, we live a town where pretty much anything is accepted and as a result everybody in the town is wet, and about as streetwise as a pink shoe-lace.

Their's nothing around here so eventually our kids are gonna wanna be going out where it's not as easy as they'll be used to, so we're gonna prepare them with kickboxing (hopefully Muay Thai if I can find a near enough club).

Back
Top Bottom