Earthquake in Japan....9.0...ouch!

Soldato
Lots of reports of the Nuclear site not being able to cool down as water cannot be pumped.

They have declared a state of emergency.

My thoughts are with them, this is dreadful news.

Associate
So, lets summarise. Such a massive event that some guy who lives in Osaka barely even knew about it. Yes, ok, it's a big event, but not for Japan in this day and age. Their whole culture is built around this type of event happening. I assure you, if it happened here, most of the country would collapse. We can barely manage when a tube line gets flooded. For those in Japan (who potentially have eartquakes every other day), this is just inconvenient.

lol. Small earthquakes yes, events on this scale no.

Soldato
So, lets summarise. Such a massive event that some guy who lives in Osaka barely even knew about it. Yes, ok, it's a big event, but not for Japan in this day and age. Their whole culture is built around this type of event happening. I assure you, if it happened here, most of the country would collapse. We can barely manage when a tube line gets flooded. For those in Japan (who potentially have eartquakes every other day), this is just inconvenient.

I wish the forum rules allowed for me to say what I think of you and your statement right now :mad:

Soldato
Apparently they don't have the power/ability to pump the water in to cool it.

Guessing it'll be dealt with quickly and have input globally.

And lucero, pay more attention to the news. If you watched enough you might have noticed the countless vehicles with people in being washed away under a torrent of mud and debris. Boats being torn to shreds. Houses being lifted from their foundations, most likely with individuals or families inside.

Okay, you might have seen a clip inside a city that was relatively unaffected. They are going to try and continue as normal aren't they. Widen your eyes.

Last edited:
Associate
You are right in that the Japanese are well prepared for this. I'm sure it could have been much worse, the safety systems seem to have worked fairly well in fact.

Permabanned
Im surprised to see how well the buildings resisted the earthquake, but it seems that the tsunamis are going to be an even bigger threat.

Lots of reports of the Nuclear site not being able to cool down as water cannot be pumped.

They have declared a state of emergency.

My thoughts are with them, this is dreadful news.

That just makes things 1000x worse :(

Caporegime
So Lucero - are you still going to be going along with an 'inconvenience' when the death toll rises, a state of emergency is issued and the impending massive financial cost (which will be probably in the billions $/£)?

I am sure Japan deals with earth quakes all the time - I get the feeling that they don't deal with 8.9 earth quakes all the time or tsunamis of this scale?

The history books show there have been seven quakes rated at 8.0 or greater since 1891 in Japan

BBC News

Last edited:
Man of Honour
japan5.jpg

Caporegime
Live in Japan do you? Been to Japan have you? Personal attacks receive infractions now don't you know. :p

Most footage I see is of people walking around getting on with their jobs and cars driving normally along the roads. We see much worse when earthquakes hit the west coast of the US. I admit, my wording probably seemed careless, so I apologise. It is obviously a serious situation, but Japan deals with these things a lot better than we might do is all I'm saying.

All the footage I've seen is of massive waves of water encroaching the land, now OK, earthquakes are fairly commonplace in Japan, but the resulting tsunami, really isn't.

Soldato
I am seriously impressed with the buildings and the inner flood control seems to have helped. The 32ft Tsunami cannot be prepared for though, that wiped out everything and used boats/cars/debris to destroy everything in it's path.

I am really concerned about the Nuclear reactor, which I believe would require urgent international input to prevent a huge disaster.

Back
Top Bottom