Easyriders BMW Refurb thread

Soldato
[TW]Fox;26282192 said:
Wow, I had no idea the ZT had some BMW parts. Surprised you have not mentioned it in the past?

:D

Such a shame the E46 rusts like it does - probably nasty steel used in their construction like the Mercs of yore. The E39 seems better but still not great.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
E39's weirdly seem nowhere near as bad. Its a real shame with the E46's as its one area which i just wont touch, i'd almost rather they were prone to engine failure than rust as at least you can truly fix mechanical items :(

Soldato
E39's weirdly seem nowhere near as bad. Its a real shame with the E46's as its one area which i just wont touch, i'd almost rather they were prone to engine failure than rust as at least you can truly fix mechanical items :(

Same here. No matter what you do, you're pretty much guaranteed to get rust reappearing unless it's a whole new panel you're bolting on. Cutting and welding in new metal is never the same and just starts rusting on the inside weld assuming you can't protect it.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Oh yeah, i cant be bothered to even entertain fixing rust. A pointless expensive exercise IMO :(

Once its appeared, just leave it and get rid of the car, its finished.

Soldato
Same here. No matter what you do, you're pretty much guaranteed to get rust reappearing unless it's a whole new panel you're bolting on. Cutting and welding in new metal is never the same and just starts rusting on the inside weld assuming you can't protect it.

This attitude I don't understand, I have seen countless times where rust is cut out, repaired well and will never reappear. It just depends on how well it's done. This common misconception comes from repairs that are just plated over the existing rust.

Caporegime
OP
Oh yeah, i cant be bothered to even entertain fixing rust. A pointless expensive exercise IMO :(

Once its appeared, just leave it and get rid of the car, its finished.

Come on that's a defeatist approach...once I have fitted two new wings and had them sprayed they will last for a few more years rust free...the wheel arches is another matter but it wouldn't cost a lot to tart them up so they don't look as scabby for at least 12months....

Once the wheel are done it will be a tidy car for its age both in and out...

This attitude I don't understand, I have seen countless times where rust is cut out, repaired well and will never reappear. It just depends on how well it's done. This common misconception comes from repairs that are just plated over the existing rust.

Indeed...that's what happened to my my mates 1969 Cadillac ...in fact cutting rust out and welding in new metal is commonplace in the bodywork industry.

Caporegime
OP
Phase one complete just dropped car off for the wheel refurb... Wing in the post... We fuel flap ordered and centre wheel caps...Why am I excited by having the wheels done lol:o:D

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Come on that's a defeatist approach...once I have fitted two new wings and had them sprayed they will last for a few more years rust free...the wheel arches is another matter but it wouldn't cost a lot to tart them up so they don't look as scabby for at least 12months....

Once the wheel are done it will be a tidy car for its age both in and out...

It'll come back within a relatively short period of time ime. Waste of money if you ask me :(

Soldato
Crikey, that's rusty. My 03 MG ZT doesn't have a single spot, even underneath - and that was made by Brummies! :p

The swirl flap issue was always a bit daft in my eyes - the ZT got the same engine without swirl flaps (as it was down-tuned) and they're pretty much 100% reliable - the 2 things BMW added to keep power up (VNT turbocharger and swirl flaps) are the achilles heel of the M47 when fitted to most BMWs of this era.
Good job lads. :p

Which autobox did they use in this model? Wondering if it's the same unit fitted to the auto diesel ZT.

Edit: And it's lived by the sea all of its life. :o

Your Rover skills have eluded you as time itself has even shown that the M47 fitted to the ZT and 75 was a complete PoS. Failed fuel pump, blown HPFP seals, failed starting, Crank/Cam sensor misalignments, the list goes on

Caporegime
OP
New Centre Badges new wheels!

DSC01958_zpsf056448c.jpg

DSC01961_zps343b043a.jpg

Just waiting on the little wheel badges to come through the post.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
[TW]Fox;26306831 said:
How come you opted not to go for the OEM colour?

I have had the car yonks and my whole mission is to freshen it up a bit...I fancied a change but didn't want to go chav like gun metal grey so went for this....

I like them..I'm really pleased with the final result.:)

Back
Top Bottom