Ebay/PP scum

Soldato
There's no "in theory" about it. I am right. In every eBay thread posted on here, literally a handful of incidents on eBay are held up as gospel against the millions of successful transactions that take place on there every day.

Also, taking a picture of something working before postage is never proof of anything. Things get damaged in transit all the time.

Buddy no one is doubting the thousands of successful transactions that take place every day.

My point is that people get scammed....it happens (Ebays policy allows this to happen with not much rebate)......if you choose not to accept that you are either looking at every thing through rose tinted glasses or hitting the crack pipe.

Your point about the photos is correct. Sellers get very little protection from ebay.....and thats the point. Who knows if this MOBO was damaged in transit or not. Perhaps it was, perhaps it wasnt.

The lack of protection that sellers have make everyone dubious when a return does happen.

We can conclude one of three things from the incident :

1)The OP is lying and the MOBO was faulty when he shipped it (why on earth would anyone do that!?!?!)
2)It got damaged in transit (possible, but I wouldnt know how a cap gets blow in transit)
3)The buyer is a scamming POS (also possible)

Put yourself in the OPs shoes....would you be happy to take back a MOBO that was working perfectly when you shipped it? Would you take it 100% that the buyer is legitimate and it got damaged in transit and write off the money?Or would you assume that there is some element of foul play?

Last edited:
Soldato
Buddy no one is doubting the thousands of successful transactions that take place every day.

My point is that people get scammed....it happens......if you choose not to accept that you are either looking at every thing through rose tinted glasses or hitting the crack pipe.

Your point about the photos is correct. Sellers get very little protection from ebay.....and thats the point. Who knows if this MOBO was damaged in transit or not. Perhaps it was, perhaps it wasnt.

The lack of protection that sellers have make everyone dubious when a return does happen.

We can conclude one of three things from the incident :

1)The OP is lying and the MOBO was faulty when he shipped it (why on earth would anyone do that!?!?!)
2)It got damaged in transit (possible)
3)The buyer is a scamming POS (also possible)

Put yourself in the OPs shoes....would you be happy to take back a MOBO that was working perfectly when you shipped it? Would you take it 100% that the buyer is legitimate and it got damaged in transit?Or would you assume that there is some element of foul play?

Nowhere did I say that people don't get scammed on eBay, of course they do.

Just that there's nothing about the OP's situation that suggests he's been scammed yet.

If I was in the OPs shoes of course I'd take back a mobo that was working perfectly when I shipped it, because I'm not a rubbish seller who assumes that any problem with an item I sold must be the buyer trying to scam me. I wouldn't assume anything until I had the item back.

Associate
The same as I would if I bought a car in a private sale. Annoyed but that's the risk of buying used items privately.

If you had sold the motherboard in the MM and the buyer reported that the cap had blown. What would you have done? Refunded on return of the item, or ranted that you had been scammed?

Soldato
OP
He's returning it so I'll check it over, if it's legit then the stupid **** has blown it himself with too many volts or simply shorted something on the mobo, it's not a cap it looks like a voltage regulator. Fact is it aint a cheap POS asrock and has been in use for the past two months so yeah I pay the price for an inept scamming idiot and ebay dumping on sellers.

Soldato
The only way this is going to change is not buy the smaller sellers or businesses complaining but the very large companies on eBay kicking off when they start looking into their own stats of their trading on eBay to see how much they have been or are being scammed on eBay.

Only then will something start to change, eBay isn't what it was 10+ years ago.

Soldato
Sell on the members market here.

I had couple division codes recently I was gonna sell on eBay, realised I'd rather take a lower price and a bank transfer...i've also bought stuff off MM here. It's actually really good.

I've never personally had a problem with ebay, and i've got 100+ sales.

But never say never....

Soldato
Tell him you will accept the return.

Also tell him this "once i have received the item i will check the security measures i put on the item to ensure it is the same item i sent,all the info on the security has been documented by video and photo,once all these check out i will issue the refund,if the item is not the item i sent i will contact the police"

Also this, spook the buyer. Play your cards properly OP.

Soldato
Because all the security measures and videos and photos in the world are so easily faked or sidestepped ebay would be insane to accept them as proof.

"We UV mark all out items, look heres a video of us boxing up the UV marked item"

*cut open box replace with broken unmarked item*

*buyer says item is broken*

"Well weve just got the item back lets open it up and shine the light on it....oh look no UV marking so clearly its not the item we sent"

It's still a lot more proof than the buyer has to provide...

It usually goes something like:

Buyer: "this item is broken"
Seller: "well it was fine when I posted it"
Ebay: "it must be broken, the buyer said so" *issues refund*

OP, how would you feel if you'd just bought a motherboard off eBay and within a few days a cap had blown?

That's the risk with buying second hand goods from a private individual (and why unsurprisingly they cost a lot less than new ones). Don't want to take that risk? Pay more and buy new, or from a business (e.g. CEX) where you have some protection.

There is a foolproof way to avoid getting scammed, which is to not post any items until you have the money in your bank account, and unlink your cards/bank from Paypal after you sell anything of high value. Unfortunately that's not really practical if you sell more than a couple of items a year.

Associate
He's returning it so I'll check it over, if it's legit then the stupid **** has blown it himself with too many volts or simply shorted something on the mobo, it's not a cap it looks like a voltage regulator. Fact is it aint a cheap POS asrock and has been in use for the past two months so yeah I pay the price for an inept scamming idiot and ebay dumping on sellers.

This is probably what has happened unfortunately. I did the same to my mobo when I plugged my new card reader into the front panel header by accident :o.

And that's why I would never recommend selling components on eBay. There is too much that can go wrong during installation and it is you as the seller who will lose out when they mess up.

Soldato
That's the risk with buying second hand goods from a private individual (and why unsurprisingly they cost a lot less than new ones). Don't want to take that risk? Pay more and buy new, or from a business (e.g. CEX) where you have some protection.

But there is no risk, as eBay will refund the buyer? If I buy something from eBay I expect to pay more than I would on Gumtree or at a car boot sale because of this protection.

Last edited:
Associate
Back in February I sold a brand new Draytek 120 modem.

Buyer recieved the item and a few days later I got an email asking to return it.

The reason he stated was he mistakenly bought it thinking it could be used for VDSL..... (it was clearly listed as a ADSL+2 Modem)

I reminded him that I don't accept returns, and that it was clearly listed and described as an ADSL modem.

He didn't accept this answer and demanded that I accept his return (which he said was in his right) because it was within the first 14days of purchase.

Reminded him again that i don't accept returns, and i'm not a business seller so the 14 day policy doesn't apply.

Same thing again, demanding my address so he could return it and that 'he had every right to send it back' and that he didn't want it anymore!

Week goes by and once the return deadline expired he opened a case against me which also freezes Paypal amount for the purchase.

Over the next few days Ebay open case department go back and forth with the buyer, and I sit and read the replies.

I was so adamant I would lose the case as practically every forum post and message said Ebay always sides with the buyer.

But with suprise Ebay sided with me! stating the seller does not need to accept this return due to the buyer mistakenly purchasing it!.

So in other word, he's an idiot and should have known what he was buying in the first damn place!! Why should I have to pay for returns and accept it back due to him not having a clue!

I was so tempted after to message the buyer and explain the difference between ADSL and VDSL. LOL :D

So in this case, Ebay DID side with the 'seller'!... but it still put me off selling on Ebay and I'm reluctant to do so in the future. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
But there is no risk, as eBay will refund the buyer? If I buy something from eBay I expect to pay more than I would on Gumtree or at a car boot sale because of this protection.

Yes, but IMO it shouldn't operate like that; by doing so, ebay effectively force private sellers to operate as if they were a business.

I'm sure it's great for small businesses starting out, a huge market to sell on with low overheads/advertising expenditure, but for individuals wanting to get rid of old secondhand bits and pieces, its not really that good anymore

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom