Economic cars

Soldato
OP
Fuel costs going up and other bills skyrocketing. Need to look at cars that can do a good distance on fuel. Not everyone wants the 'In' car at the moment. Not everyone wants to have a fast car or one that can do 0-60 in a few 2nds!

Associate
I had the Fabia Greenline II estate on review from Skoda press. 88MPG + if you drive it steady.

Not a bad little car however 75BHP was a bit underpowered when you had any more than 1 person on board.

IMO not worth it. My one was £16K worth of car. You can get A LOT for that money on the 2nd hand market.

- Also

Unless you do 30k + miles a year a brand new "eco" car may not be worth it.

The second hand market is full of derv fuel sippers if you really do want to save fuel although quite often diesel is a false economy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Out of those I listed the Octavia is about the best. It has a 1.6L 105 bhp diesel engine
and gives similar performance to a mk4 Golf 1.6 16v petrol estate I once owned.

It doesn't look bad either with it's lowered suspension (for aerodynamics)

I am not keen on the idea of 'stop/start' technology though. The engine stops everytime you put it in neutral!

Free road tax sounds great though.

Soldato
Also don't forget the most important thing is how you actually drive!

That alone could probably save you a tidy sum every month.

Soldato
Fuel costs going up and other bills skyrocketing. Need to look at cars that can do a good distance on fuel. Not everyone wants the 'In' car at the moment. Not everyone wants to have a fast car or one that can do 0-60 in a few 2nds!

Is your annual mileage very high? Have you actually worked out your savings once you have taken purchase cost and depreciation of a new car into account?

Soldato
My next door neighbor drives an old Seat Ibiza 8v GTi with an asthmatic 2.0L 115 bhp engine.
He does 30,000 miles a year commuting to work all over the country as an electrician.

I have worked out that the Octavia Greenline II would save him £4500 a year.

(70mpg - 30mpg = 40mpg. 30,000/40 = 750 gallons @ £6 a gallon = £4500)

This is a no brainer for me, drive a knackered old Seat an get 30mpg or drive a brand new Octavia and get 70mpg.

Last edited:
Soldato
320d efficient dynamics is remarkably impressive. You need to get on the options list though, the stock interior is bobbins.

Associate
My next door neighbor drives an old Seat Ibiza 8v GTi with an astmatic 2.0L 115 bhp engine.
He does 30,000 miles a year commuting to work all over the country as an electrician.

I have worked out that the Octavia Greenline II would save him £4500 a year.

(70mpg - 30mpg = 40mpg. 30,000/40 = 750 gallons @ £6 a gallon = £4500)

This is a no brainer for me, drive a knackered old Seat an get 30mpg or drive a brand new Octavia and get 70mpg.

And what is the retail on one of those by the time the options have kicked in yo?

By the time to factor in purchase price, maintenance, depreciation, loan repayments, insurance etc.. would it really save him that much?

Better off just buying a VW gold TDI for 3K if you are really on the hunt for economy.

Soldato
Plenty of nearly new Greenlines on the trader for £13k - as for depreciation? You could throw it in the bin after 3 years as you would have saved more on fuel than your total purchase price.
Tax is free, maintenance is required on all vehicles as is insurance.

I can't comment on the BMWs out there as I don't know anything about them other than they do make great engines.

Back
Top Bottom