Economic cars

Soldato
My hybrid said it would do 71mpg.

I only ever got a peak of 48mpg out of it. Average was 44mpg over 7000-odd miles (brim-to-brim). Mostly because I did motorway commutes, terrible for hybrids.

CVT box was bad as well. Electric motor did not 'feel like a turbo'. It was slow, noisy, lacking any kind of punch.

#fail.

Soldato
the more astute will look at MPG / TAX

I think engine size, rather than MPG, still plays a massive part in people deciding which car to buy. You can get 3litre 6cyl 270bhp engines which do nearly 40mpg, and you can get 2.0T 4 cyl 270bhp engines which do 35mpg - yet the vast majority of people who don't know anything about cars will think the 3.0 6cyl will do sigificantly less MPG than the 2.0, which isn't true at all - quite the opposite!

I think most people are still stuck in the mindset that smaller engines are always more economical and that 3l engines still do 20mpg. Times have changed!

Last edited:
Soldato

I only ever got a peak of 48mpg out of it. Average was 44mpg over 7000-odd miles (brim-to-brim). Mostly because I did motorway commutes, terrible for hybrids.

CVT box was bad as well. Electric motor did not 'feel like a turbo'. It was slow, noisy, lacking any kind of punch.

#fail.

I was reading that the Prius was better for longer trips and that the Auris was better round town? Can't understand why though as I thought they both used the same hybrid technology?

Soldato

#fail.

What hybrid was it?

Man of Honour
I think engine size, rather than MPG, still plays a massive part in people deciding which car to buy. You can get 3litre 6cyl 270bhp engines which do nearly 40mpg, and you can get 2.0T 4 cyl 270bhp engines which do 35mpg - yet the vast majority of people who don't know anything about cars will think the 3.0 6cyl will do sigificantly less MPG than the 2.0, which isn't true at all - quite the opposite!

I think most people are still stuck in the mindset that smaller engines are always more economical and that 3l engines still do 20mpg. Times have changed!

Wish my 6cyl lump would get even close to those figures... This thread has given me another good giggle though two things I never thought I would hear in the same sentence, prius and amazing acceleration. :D

Back
Top Bottom