Ed Milliband

Permabanned
Where do these people come from? Career politicians are pathetic, especially when they are labour. Labour is meant to be about the working man etc. Why don't we see an ex plumber or electrician or business man going in to politics and representing the working man? When was the last time labour had an actual working class figurehead?

Hate for thatcher is misguided, a result of the state defending itself. I am yet to see why she deserves so much hate.

Caporegime
I could not care less, people will be thinking the same for Tony Blair & plenty of other politicians.

Just because she is now old & fragile it doesn't suddenly make the things she did all well & peachy.

Leave political policy aside, when Thatcher left office she ceased to have any influence on government policy. At that moment you can rejoice that she's no longer in a position of power and no longer able to effect you. What crosses a moral line (for me) is when you start to celebrate the death of such an individual. Whether you admire or hate her she was still a person, a daughter, mother, wife and the first female leader of this country and I like to think that people have a certain morality to be able to leave such abhorrent thoughts and speech about anothers life at the door.

Permabanned
Where do these people come from? Career politicians are pathetic, especially when they are labour. Labour is meant to be about the working man etc. Why don't we see an ex plumber or electrician or business man going in to politics and representing the working man? When was the last time labour had an actual working class figurehead?

Hate for thatcher is misguided, a result of the state defending itself. I am yet to see why she deserves so much hate.

ALL politicians are oxbridge born and eton bred, its quite disgusting really, public school boys with no idea what real life is like. I doubt david scameron or ed millipede know what its like to be down to your last £20 or similar situations faced by millions of people up and down the country due to benefit cuts and lack of work

Permabanned
If you were born in her early years, you could argue the point of her having an impact on your employer and you having to get a new job, retrain or move. Fair point, it's not easy or pleasant. If you were in an area (as a baby) hit by depravity then you'd still have the same opportunities as one not-hit in regards to education and healthcare. I'm not going to argue that some places were awash with opportunity or are, but you can always move to one that does.

You can, but it's not much use to those who find themself trapped in those sort of circumstances through no awareness or fault of themself.

I don't think those in depravity had the same opportunity as those in wealth, it isn't only about the services of education and health that impact on sections of society.

I'm not saying personal advancement is automatically impossible because of it, quite the opposite, but it certainly wasn't and still isn't a level playing field.

Muffin` said:
It depends how you define makes it harder, it's not nice to lose your job, but it's not also nice to live in a country that defaults. Greater good and all that.

I'm not sure it ended in the greater good, that's the problem.

We're on our knees due in part to Thatcherite policy.

Caporegime
OP
ALL politicians are oxbridge born and eton bred, its quite disgusting really, public school boys with no idea what real life is like. I doubt david scameron or ed millipede know what its like to be down to your last £20 or similar situations faced by millions of people up and down the country due to benefit cuts and lack of work

Both Eds (Milliband and Balls) went to comprehensive schools. Both got into Oxbridge though (at least Ed got the A-level grades unlike his brother David).

Permabanned
Who worked in the private sector and hated Thatcher? :confused:

The three million unemployed?

lolwut?

Plenty of people?

Do you really think it was so exclusive as to be public sector workers only?

most of the lower paid private sector workers and the unemployed, it was only the Toffs and rich kids who liked her, oh and idiot daily mail readers

Cool, evidence? Or can I say everybody hated Blair too, seeing as we don't need to back up anything with, oh, I don't know, facts.

Caporegime
OP
Read post. Read answer. Use grey matter.

You're embarrassing yourself now. You asked "Who worked in the private sector and hated Thatcher?" I replied with "The three million unemployed". It's a funny thing about the unemployed, but back in those days most of them used to have jobs. Then the culture of the long term unemployment started...

Permabanned
You're embarrassing yourself now. You asked "Who worked in the private sector and hated Thatcher?" I replied with "The three million unemployed". It's a funny thing about the unemployed, but back in those days most of them used to have jobs. Then the culture of the long term unemployment started...

The unemployed don't work in the private sector. I can't spell it out any more simply than that.

Oh. Wait. I can, the height of unemployment under Thatcher was immediately after Callaghan who had already screwed the country into the ground (see: Winter of discontent, also page 7 of this PDF).

Last edited:
Permabanned
lolwut?

Cool, evidence? Or can I say everybody hated Blair too, seeing as we don't need to back up anything with, oh, I don't know, facts.

my parents worked in the private sector during the Thatcher years and hated her, in fact most people hated her for what she did to society encouraging a selfish and money grabbing society we have today

Permabanned
lolwut?

I did not say everybody.

But in comparison to your apparent belief that it was public sector workers alone who hated Thatcher then I think it obvious it is not correct.

Evidence? Really?

Demographic opinion polls, general election results, political parties other civic movements that were opposed such as religious and charities etc

Soldato

What he meant was - how can you be employed in the private sector if you are unemployed?

Back
Top Bottom