El Salvador

Soldato
That's a recipe for disaster waiting to happen. Especially if they house rival gangs. It's only going to be a matter of time before a massive fight breaks out.

El Salvador does have the death penalty but sounds like it's never used. Seems like they should add gang murder to that list. You're not going to deter any gangs from committing serious crime if they just get locked up.

Soldato
Was El Salvador the place where they jumped on the Bitcoin cringe or is that somewhere else?

Yep. Bukele lost a fair amount of the country's money on that.

Thus is depressingly familiar thinking: "The Salvadoran Minister of Finance Alejandro Zelaya stated that the country had not lost any money during the crash, because it did not sell any of its bitcoins"

Soldato
OP
That's a recipe for disaster waiting to happen. Especially if they house rival gangs. It's only going to be a matter of time before a massive fight breaks out.

El Salvador does have the death penalty but sounds like it's never used. Seems like they should add gang murder to that list. You're not going to deter any gangs from committing serious crime if they just get locked up.
I'm guessing the plan is to lock them all up mixed together, and let them get on with it. Judging by how cowed they all look, the guards aren't being too gentle either.

Last edited:
Associate
Being rounded up in chains and herded into square formations seem a bit barbaric / out-dated to me, but they have committed the crime and now need to do the time, as long as their convictions are solid.
From BBC:

"Tens of thousands of suspected gangsters have been rounded up in the country under a state of emergency following a spike in murders and other violent crime."

I have put the important word in bold. It looks like most of them haven't been to court yet. However, they don't exactly look like nuns!

Last edited:
Associate
Plenty of stress positions there too, not a fun prospect to be caught up in that. Only a matter of time before it descends into chaos.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just don't eat much, youll only need to take a **** a couple of times a week.

Actually it's quite amusing when you work out the maths.

Assuming both toilets are working, that means 50 people per toilet. In a full 24h period that gives each prisoner just under 30 minutes of toilet time per day - the toilet would have to be in use round the clock.

Now consider realistically they will be sleeping for at least 6 hours, chuck in an additional 2 for food, showering, exercise, you're looking at say 16 hours. That brings it down to about 15 minutes a day per prisoner.

Soldato
OP
Actually it's quite amusing when you work out the maths.

Assuming both toilets are working, that means 50 people per toilet. In a full 24h period that gives each prisoner just under 30 minutes of toilet time per day - the toilet would have to be in use round the clock.

Now consider realistically they will be sleeping for at least 6 hours, chuck in an additional 2 for food, showering, exercise, you're looking at say 16 hours. That brings it down to about 15 minutes a day per prisoner.
Unless all the different gangs decide to work together in the cells, it's going to be carnage. Otherwise the weaker prisoners will never get anywhere near the toilets!

Soldato
I know there are gangs all round the world but it seems prevalent in Central/South America, pretty tragic these dudes don't know anything else and end up living this life, I don't even see it as a life tbh.

Back
Top Bottom