Electric bill since working from home

Soldato
Sarcasm aside, does the immersion heat up water in a cylinder stored in the house? If it's relatively modern, that's still way too much. Mine comes on for 45 minutes overnight and there's enough hot water to last me all day. It takes way more than a day to cool down.
Either way I'm not sure it matters. It's not like being 'on' means it'll constantly be active, it just means it'll top the tank up (assuming there's a tank) if needed.

Soldato
Either way I'm not sure it matters. It's not like being 'on' means it'll constantly be active, it just means it'll top the tank up (assuming there's a tank) if needed.
Quite. The heat loss in a hot water tank isn't huge, it'll not make a massive difference whether it heats once per day or keeps it topped up throughout.

The more important factor is how much hot water you're using.

Soldato

"On" will make the immersion kick in pretty much every time you use some hot water, or the tank water goes below threshold temp (65C by default?)... It uses heck of a lot more elec than putting immersion on timer for 45-60mins for the day.

Soldato
Both me and the missus are WFH at the moment but I'm saving a 45 minute drive each way and the missus is saving an hour+ each way train ride and a £75 ticket each week so we aren't bothering with the HMRC tax claim form, put it this way would you rather have been put on furlough or worse still company gone pop and be unemployed?

Soldato
OP
Sarcasm aside, does the immersion heat up water in a cylinder stored in the house? If it's relatively modern, that's still way too much. Mine comes on for 45 minutes overnight and there's enough hot water to last me all day. It takes way more than a day to cool down.

Yep, big tank. I've lowered it to 06:00-07:30 and 17:00 - 19:00

Usually its (between 2 of us) 2 showers a day, maybe 4 if we go for a run / going out at night / go for a walk and get soaked and muddy in a thunderstorm (like just now) 1 washing machine run every 2 or 3 days and general stuff like a dishwasher run every 2 days, oven use, cooking etc.

Henry is normal size, not the mini one :D ...and yes, that is a box of 300 lotus biscoff biscuits you see

OGUY4pIh.jpg

zaWt5xgh.jpg

NADcKPah.jpg

4QEquL0h.jpg

Soldato
Can't tell the difference, how much power does a laptop use again? 40w an hour? All Non washing days are below 6kw of total usage, about the same as before. Heating would have been up a bit in March but I run my heating 24/7 anyway and don't let the away temperature drop too low.

Soldato
"On" will make the immersion kick in pretty much every time you use some hot water, or the tank water goes below threshold temp (65C by default?)... It uses heck of a lot more elec than putting immersion on timer for 45-60mins for the day.
It actually doesn’t. It makes very little difference.

Associate
Used 239.0kwh last month. 5 bed house, 2 WFH adults and 2 kids, so loads of electrics on all the time.

We also have a washer dryer running almost constantly.

I guess you'll make your money back once you sell the dube.

Soldato
Are you sure what you posted picture of (forth one) is the imersion heater timeclock? becuase thats a two channel heating programmer, and while it coul be controlling the I/H via a contactor that would be unsual. Go back to your first picture, you can see the flex to the immersion just looping round near the biscoff biscuits, where do it go?

Soldato
OP
Are you sure what you posted picture of (forth one) is the imersion heater timeclock? becuase thats a two channel heating programmer, and while it coul be controlling the I/H via a contactor that would be unsual. Go back to your first picture, you can see the flex to the immersion just looping round near the biscoff biscuits, where do it go?

It goes to a switch on the wall (pics 1 and 2 below)

9AC8NxPh.jpg

OYdkIJsh.jpg

The only pipe that is hot (almost too hot to touch currently) is the one on the far left, going into the top of the tank
W62ts1ch.jpg

XAwHwvPh.jpg

Soldato
What does that switch say on it, looks like it is engraved?

Can we have a look at your electrical fuseboards, it could be that it is on a separate E7 DB that is pulled in by a contactor during night rate.

Do you have an E7 Tariff (you might have mentioned it already, but I cant see it)

Soldato
OP
What does that switch say on it, looks like it is engraved?

Can we have a look at your electrical fuseboards, it could be that it is on a separate E7 DB that is pulled in by a contactor during night rate.

Do you have an E7 Tariff (you might have mentioned it already, but I cant see it)

It says 'Water heater' below the switch

Tariff is 'Vari-Fair'

Fuse box

IgaRugz.jpg

Soldato
Just seen where you say its electric only. Your heaters, I presume are storage heaters rather than panel heaters?

It would seem afterall that programmer is fore the hot water; in the lower section of the board, you have got two contactors, I would assume that the ABB one is for the heating and the hager one is for the hot water, you can confirm this by asking someone to press boost or override or otherwise bringing it on from the programmer while you stand at the fusebaord, you should hear a 'clunk' and the flag in the clear plastic window on the contactor should change.

I cant find details on the vari-fair tariff, just a load of slaes bumf as is typical.... do you get a separate night rate? you really want to be setting your I/H to heat up during the night (normally something like midnight till 7, or 1 till 8, depending on whether it is BST or GMT)

Soldato
OP
Just seen where you say its electric only. Your heaters, I presume are storage heaters rather than panel heaters?

It would seem afterall that programmer is fore the hot water; in the lower section of the board, you have got two contactors, I would assume that the ABB one is for the heating and the hager one is for the hot water, you can confirm this by asking someone to press boost or override or otherwise bringing it on from the programmer while you stand at the fusebaord, you should hear a 'clunk' and the flag in the clear plastic window on the contactor should change.

I cant find details on the vari-fair tariff, just a load of slaes bumf as is typical.... do you get a separate night rate? you really want to be setting your I/H to heat up during the night (normally something like midnight till 7, or 1 till 8, depending on whether it is BST or GMT)

Panel heaters (electric radiators on walls) we hardly ever turn them on, even in winter.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by ABB and contactors. Reading that would be probably like what my 91 year old nan thinks when I explain my job in remote IT working to her :D
If I switch water heating to ON then yes, there is a 'clunk' sound

vari-fair rates;

865 [email protected] (day rate) - £130.61
[email protected] (night rate) - £9.82
standing charge £6.25
5% VAT £7.33

Soldato
To anyone who has been working at home full time since lockdown, have you noticed an increase in your electric usage? Is your company compensating / providing a WFH electric allowance

I have just received this months bill from Bulb and its £154.01
865 [email protected] (day rate) - £130.61
[email protected] (night rate) - £9.82
standing charge £6.25
5% VAT £7.33

34 kWh/day (£5.31) last year it was 11kWh/day which is about right as it was ~£50 a month last. So it's 3 times higher than usual

Electric only 2 bed flat with 2 people sharing, no heating on at the moment other than hot water/showers

I used to spend £300/month in train commute into London. Made redundant Nov last year. New company is 20 minutes up the road. Car diesel on the commute is minimal (majority at steady 70/40mph).

So no, no help and I wouldn't expect any, and better off with a job even if it's at home.

Soldato
Interesting discussion, I am not usually precious when it comes to usage, I just use stuff when I want to within reason. Turn devices off when not using them as much as possible, but there will always be some kind of power draw in the background.

Dug out the old smart meter IHD today and did a bit of comparison using recent (actual) figures:

8066kwh - 7372kwh = 694kwh
27/06/2020 - 07/05/2020 = 51 days
694kwh / 51 days = 13.6kwh per day

So recently I've been using more due to wfh (my own PC on more + work laptop), and running portable aircon more than usual lately.

13.6kwh per day, if used daily for a year would put me at almost 5k kwhs per year. average consumption for a household in the UK is something like 3600 kwhs.

No increase in pay from work for the extra usage, but as others said I echo the sentiment that I would prefer to have a job than not, so it's not something I can't just deal with by paying a bit extra each month.

I'm paying just over 13p per kwh though, so when it comes to renewal time I will have to look into seeing if I can improve that a bit :)

Soldato
OP
I used to spend £300/month in train commute into London. Made redundant Nov last year. New company is 20 minutes up the road. Car diesel on the commute is minimal (majority at steady 70/40mph).

So no, no help and I wouldn't expect any, and better off with a job even if it's at home.
That's fair enough but what if you purposely moved close to work so you could walk then they either closed the office or moved it so you had to make a £300 communte, would you expect compensation in any form?

FYI I am only asking because a where a friend works they are providing everyone with an electric allowance (not sure how much)

In this instance it turns out it's probably my fault. A combination of the boiler (hot water) heating up too much, plus the working from home. I paid my electric bill and moved on

Soldato
OP
Interesting discussion, I am not usually precious when it comes to usage, I just use stuff when I want to within reason. Turn devices off when not using them as much as possible, but there will always be some kind of power draw in the background.

Dug out the old smart meter IHD today and did a bit of comparison using recent (actual) figures:

8066kwh - 7372kwh = 694kwh
27/06/2020 - 07/05/2020 = 51 days
694kwh / 51 days = 13.6kwh per day

So recently I've been using more due to wfh (my own PC on more + work laptop), and running portable aircon more than usual lately.

13.6kwh per day, if used daily for a year would put me at almost 5k kwhs per year. average consumption for a household in the UK is something like 3600 kwhs.

No increase in pay from work for the extra usage, but as others said I echo the sentiment that I would prefer to have a job than not, so it's not something I can't just deal with by paying a bit extra each month.

I'm paying just over 13p per kwh though, so when it comes to renewal time I will have to look into seeing if I can improve that a bit :)

The main thing I see here is that you are only using 13.6kwh per day and running aircon.
I am runnning 34 kWh/day and no aircon! That puts me at 12,410 kwhs for a year! ...or 3.5 times the average hourshold... for a 2 bed flat

I'll get next months reading submitted to get a better picture of usage

Back
Top Bottom