Electric oven bulb failure

Soldato
You'd probably need a solid glass tube with highly polished ends, and then set it so that it's long enough to put the LED away from the heat/so the LED could use the external casing of the cooker as a heatsink (it's got to cope with both the ambiant heat and it's own).
I'd imagine it's doable, but you're probably looking at something that is far more prone to breakage and general damage whilst costing more and being harder to repair than the current heat resistant bulb behind a glass panel, especially as most cookers don't really have that much cool dead space.

Neff actually had something similar with their Nefflight. It's a couple of unidirectional bulbs inside the door on both sides. The bulbs sit at the bottom, and shine a beam up a polished metal triangle reflector. The reflector has cutouts that allow the light out into the oven from the door. It works really well, but the bulbs are some weird Osram beam design that never caught on and I'm not sure they make any more. They sit inside the oven door, so you're never going to keep the LED equivalent cool. In fact, I'm not sure there's anywhere sensible on that oven you could put anything that needs to stay cool, as even the door and side panels get hot.

I suppose you could have a couple of indents above or below the slidaway door, so that when the door is closed, the lights shine into the bottom side of a polished pipe and reflects up. It might be a bit cooler under the main oven and in the door recess, and you could get to them for replacement fairly easily by removing the door (which you have to do for the Nefflight layout anyway).

Soldato
My newish Beko oven has the option to turn the lamps off by default, and only turn on if a button is pressed or the door opens. Will hopefully improve the lifespan a bit.

I would imagine, lifespan aside, the benefit of an LED in an oven is diminished by the fact that regular bulbs produce heat. In normal circumstances that would be inefficient, in an oven though probably not so much.

Back
Top Bottom