1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Scooters could soon be legal...

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Lethal`, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Russinating

Capodecina

The noise is for under 12mph which is lower than the max speed of electric scooters. Riddle me that.

2. Bug One

Capodecina

Is there any definition about what scooters are actually legal? If I draw up a rental agreement to rent the scooter from my wife, for a 1p a week, is it now legal?

3. b0rn2sk8

Soldato

You have to be a part of a local authority trial, so not unless you want to do that.

4. Neil777

Hitman

From what I've read elsewhere the reason only rental scooters are legal is that part of the payment covers insurance, so you're wife would have to do likewise.

5. Bug One

Capodecina

It will be interesting to read what actually gets written into law following the trials.

6. wolfie138

Mobster

should make the wheels w/ spokes then you could just stick a lollipop stick in them.

7. Nasher

Capodecina

Then they can pretend they have a real motorbike :D

8. Demon

Soldato

I bought this for my sons bike when he as 7..
    [​IMG]

Laughably funny and you can change the sound to mimic different engine notes.. brilliant.

9. Demon

Soldato

At least the trial clearly stated:
    "The vehicles are banned on pavements, will be limited to 15.5mph and it is recommended that riders wear helmets."

But I really don't understand the inconsistency with a cycle by adding this:
    "Riders will need a full or provisional car, motorcycle or moped licence to use the vehicles, and they must be aged 16 or over."

From various threads on this, I think people and the government are still conflating eScooters with 50cc scooters far too much, they are much more akin to a cycle, anyone thats got one/tried one would no doubt attest it's just a bike you stand up on, similar speeds, similar road-usage etc, etc..

If you don't need a licence to ride a bike at 15.5MPH or be 16 or over, why would an eScooter need one? Having ridden some pretty powerful eBikes I don't really see how they are any different, or maybe the law needs changing for those too?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  10. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

However the whole idea of an eBike is to be silent and ride where motorbikes can't.

11. b0rn2sk8

Soldato

It's basically there to keep the under 16's from riding them, there is no other reason I can think of as you only need a provisional which is a few £ and a picture.

The main flaw with that is its not really possible to police without the police stopping a person on a scooter to check if they have one or not. But for them to do that they would need a reason to stop them and it can't just be to check they have a licence. The rental companies are not going to want to verify you have a licence because any barrier put in place will put people off using them (even if you have a licence) and that costs money. People are also getting more wary about handing over their personal information when its not really necessary.

Let's also be honest, the police are not going to chase you on one of these either unless your are committing serious crime. An officer on foot cant catch you and an officer in a car isn't going to be able to chase you down ally's, parks etc. There isn't really any scope to put a unique identifying mark that's visible from far away.

12. dacads

Capodecina

Also who’s going to ride them on roads? I’ve only seen them on pavements

13. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

I can't wait to be relegated to the second most hated transport on the roads who doesn't pay the imaginary mythical road tax.