Electric shavers? Advice please.

Soldato
Thread resurrection

I have had my Panasonic ES-RF41 now for a couple of years and I need new foil and cutters - Then I saw how much they cost - like 40+ quid - Do I buy them or is there a new shaver on market worth buying for a few quid more.

Overall the Panasonic has been fine - can even use it in shower but it's fading.

Ah seems I missed this thread on 8th May :rolleyes:

Soldato
Another comeback - a prequel to the original

The electric shaver replacement foil/block market seems worse, more exploitative, than the inkjet cartridge market.

The Amazon 'Market' is now demanding typcially £25 for a replacement for my Braun that were running at £10 five years back.

Ebay throws up many sellers in South Korea, about 40% cheaper, so has anyone purchased these ?
I cannot see negative reviews, but it is curious that they have cornered the market, are they manufactured there, or something.

Beyond that - Are there any innovations in the electric shaver market, such that I should be contemplating replacing the shaver (eg on prime day)
I also have a newer Panasonic with a linear motor, but afaik that was the latest innovation

Man of Honour
Short of portable LASER shavers in the distant future, no, which is probably why blade units cost so much.

I don't mind though, as it's only an annual expense, even at £45 odd for my Braun series 9. It shaves to smooth and well I'll just buy a new blade unit each year.

Associate
That's the same price for my lowly series 5.

It probably needs a new foil and cutter, I think it has been 36 months now :(

Soldato
Any advice on the use of oil to improve the quality of an electric shave. ?

Although, I believe, you can buy an oil to apply to your face, recently found that a few daily drops of (wahl clipper) oil on the shaver foil itself, help significantly,
and can reduce shaving time by 1-2mins to 6mins and avoids too much multi-passing.

Man of Honour
26147182759_c9d98d89d9_b.jpg

One I use daily. Bought as an Amazon deal thing. Top of the range 9000 series and RRP is a MAD £450, I paid £199. It is OK, not a patch on a good wet shave but for me, aged 50 with dark tough stubble they never are, but it is really convenient when you have a busy life. Does the job, makes you look neatly shaven but does mean the 5pm shadow becomes the 3pm shadow. I only use it dry but it can be used with foam/gel and wet so might give that a try.

Soldato
Getting one for crimbo seems to to get great reviews.

You'll love it mate, I've been trimming very close for a year now using a remington beard trimmer because I got tired of using razors that caused me to bleed, irritate, red rash on neck etc so after reading about this OneBlade i just tried it out, went through 1 week stubble like butter. Make sure to get the second model up as it has the NimH battery as opposed to the cheapest ones NiCad, 2350 model is the one you want.

Soldato
Do the OneBlade's just cut along the edges or across the flat surface too ?

Hidden costs - how long does a blade last ? their web site suggests 4 months @2LOL shaves a week, so ~1month for dailies - OK they are 'only' £10 a go.
Traditional braun shaver blades ~£30 last me 18month, but are deteriorating after 12, as they predict.

Soldato

Is anyone using an electric pre-shave lotion as part of their regime ? which one ?

I currently employ the wash face w/hot water no soap and pat dry, and then use regularly cleaned (alternating) braun/Panasonic electric shaver

There appear to be multiple schools of thought

goal is a closer/faster shave
Many lotions contain alcohol or dimethicone/silicone that can be drying/irritants

Man of Honour
Is anyone using an electric pre-shave lotion as part of their regime ? which one ?

I use a Panasonic ES-LV95 which is very fast and very close and when I've gone over my face a couple of times I dip it in water and that gets me even closer.
Takes me about 5 minutes for a very close shave while I'm doing a poo in the morning.

Man of Honour
I've found the best way to shave with electric without any pre-shave cream or foam is to not shave for 2 days exactly. The stubble still looks fine (at least on me anyway :p), but the shave the morning after is so smooth and clean. It means a closer and faster shave as required above, and it feels better too.

Soldato
I use a Panasonic ES-LV95 ..... I dip it in water and that gets me even closer.
I have an older linear Panasonic, but have never used in it wet'n'dry mode - a bit because of the hassle of cleanup/drying for the next day (but maybe a Pan station handles that)

I've found the best way to shave with electric without any pre-shave cream or foam is to not shave for 2 days exactly
yes I see where you are going - the stubble has to be long enough to be well picked up the first time in the grill, otherwise you just make multiple passes and that can irritate too, and hack at the hairs.

.. identifying as a bearded hipster would solve all this

Man of Honour
Nobody wants to identify as a bearded hipster. I used FaceApp to see what I'd look like with a beard, it looked good tbf, but it also looked like I could whip out my Macbook Air, iPhone X and iPad from various pockets in an instant.

Edit*

This is on a Braun series 9.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I have an older linear Panasonic, but have never used in it wet'n'dry mode - a bit because of the hassle of cleanup/drying for the next day (but maybe a Pan station handles that)

The Pan station is a complete waste of money and only serves as a holder/charger for me.
I just dip the shaver in & out of hot water and you find the water soon fills up with stubble.
I've never taken the foil off to clean it inside when doing that but when I just dry shave I do have to clean it out now & then.

Soldato
Interested in the One Blade. I currently use a Remington MB4045 very simply. "Clean" under my jaw (well as close as it'll go), then 3mm everywhere else. Unfortunately I'm currently in the US and it's died on me :(

How would I get on with the Oneblade? Debating pulling the trigger on Amazon prime so I can have a shave tomorrow before work!

Soldato
Do the OneBlade's just cut along the edges or across the flat surface too ?

Hidden costs - how long does a blade last ? their web site suggests 4 months @2LOL shaves a week, so ~1month for dailies - OK they are 'only' £10 a go.
Traditional braun shaver blades ~£30 last me 18month, but are deteriorating after 12, as they predict.
gimmick product was my opinion

if you have an emergency ... these are dam good
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Braun-MobileShave-Portable-Electric-Battery/dp/B002EZZ5NG

Back
Top Bottom