The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Commissario
I wouldn't be surprised if they censored content depending on where the user logs in from
I think Twitter has generally done that based on where you are logging in from/your account is registered to comply with local laws, all tech companies who work in multiple countries tend to do the same as if you don't at least make the gesture to comply with local laws you tend to find you end up not being allowed to do business in those countries.

I know of people who have their country set to Germany because apparently that massively reduces the amount of nazi/neonazi accounts and bots that appear in your timeline/can interact with you due to the German laws on nazi's.

Caporegime
I wouldn't be surprised if they censored content depending on where the user logs in from

Nope, Twitter's system is reactive, not proactive. They only remove content on demand. This means that unless a government bans Twitter outright (which some do) it must police content on an ongoing basis, and ask Twitter to block it via legal demand.

'About country withheld content.'

Soldato
It's not who they follow, it's that others use it to spout their toxic nonsense and the press lap it up to generate clicks. Twitter is a tool for horrible people.

Sadly its a fair reflection of society now. More free speech on social media isn't going to make it any better, that is just a dream for Russian and other state actors to sow more discord in our societies and those within our societies who want to tear it all down regardless of the cost. You only had to witness the "Plandemic" event on Youtube, then Twitter and Facebook to realise how easy it is to manipulate the public and get them believing utter nonsense. Making Twitter an anything goes platform will be a disaster.

I use it to as its a great tool for news, science, tech, sport. Maybe I just avoid the most toxic aspects of it. I swerve anything that takes in extreme political views, its a waste of time and effort, nothing I could say would change anyone's mind.

Soldato
The big brained geniuses at greatawakening.win have got it all figured out!

tpv94a.PNG

6zc1ev.PNG

:rolleyes:

Its amazing how they bang on about the Constitution when they happily **** all over it when events don't go their way. America is absolutely screwed. There is some huge event in the post that will make Jan 6th look like a night down the bingo.

Soldato
The same can be said for a lot of social media. The demise of FB/Twitter can't be soon enough.

So you want all current social media and any social media to come to be taken down.

No, Richie said that, FB was or has been anywhere near as destructive as Twitter and never really had a problem with FB. Instagram, Onlyfans and TikTok are also fine. The problem is specifically Twitter and how the MSM and Hollywood suck on its teat as if the whole world is on it and it's the only opinion that matters

Soldato
If both sides are being accused of crying harder about it its just another event trying to be abused as something to bash the others with.

Soldato
I know of people who have their country set to Germany because apparently that massively reduces the amount of nazi/neonazi accounts and bots that appear in your timeline/can interact with you due to the German laws on nazi's.

Thanks for that. I just changed my location for the trending hashtags from the UK and I can no longer see all the political bile.

Caporegime
OP
If both sides are being accused of crying harder about it its just another event trying to be abused as something to bash the others with.

Quite, the main stream media response is pretty one sided, but random conspiracy theorists on twitter or forums isn't much of a metric of the public opinion. Most of whom don't care one way or the other.

Soldato
No, Richie said that, FB was or has been anywhere near as destructive as Twitter and never really had a problem with FB. Instagram, Onlyfans and TikTok are also fine. The problem is specifically Twitter and how the MSM and Hollywood suck on its teat as if the whole world is on it and it's the only opinion that matters

Are you saying FB is as destructive as Twitter or it isn't. Its not really clear. I would argue FB was far far worse in the past but FB stepped up and closed accounts of some of the most extremist groups. Its still used to spread extremism, disinformation and misinformation but its power is dwindling which is a great thing.

You are giving Twitter far too much credit. It doesn't have an audience remotely close to FB. Only around 330m active users. The reason it gets mentioned/quoted more than FB in media is because lots of media are on it. Journalists aren't on FB, they are on Twitter. Academics and industry leaders aren't on FB, they are on Twitter. Politicians aren't on FB, they are on Twitter. Musk isn't on FB.

It sounds more like you think there is a bias against right wing speech on Twitter which clearly isn't the case. Even the loons in the Republican Party like MTG still have a Twitter account. The only one who doesn't is Trump but then he used his account to spread the Big Lie and caused an insurrection. If he wasn't POTUS he would have lost his account long before. T&C apply to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom