Poll: Emilia Romagna Grand Prix 2022, Imola - Race 4

Rate the Emilia Romagna grand prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Russell has started to mention the physical effects of the porpoising. I’m surprised it’s taken this long for a driver to complain. I really think these ground effect cars were a bad idea… It will be interesting to see if other drivers get behind him here, I dread to think what it’s doing to their backs, spine, necks etc.

Whole body vibration is a very serious occupational safety concern and governed in the UK (and EU) by the Vibration Regulations.

If any driver can prove physical harm from the porpoising it'll open the teams up to a world of personal injury claims (civil compensation). Given the levels of shaking witnessed onboard by Merc I'd be shocked if it isn't causing acute problems at the very least.

Whole body vibration is a very serious occupational safety concern and governed in the UK (and EU) by the Vibration Regulations.

If any driver can prove physical harm from the porpoising it'll open the teams up to a world of personal injury claims (civil compensation). Given the levels of shaking witnessed onboard by Merc I'd be shocked if it isn't causing acute problems at the very least.

It does look horrible, especially on the Merc. The slow mo of Lewis's car at the end of the straight at one point yesterday was absurd.

Anyone else having issues viewing it on All4.com? Theres no sound on the smart TV, it works on desktop PC browser but thats less than ideal. Other All4.com content works fine so presumably a software issue of some kind

Am I the only one who thinks the porpoising looks ridiculous? It seemed more extreme in Imola, perhaps because of the wet weather setup. For the pinnacle of motorsport it just doesn’t look right to me, that’s without the consideration for the drivers health that surely it can’t be good for. Usually I watch F1 cars and can only dream of driving them, but this lot look like an absolute nightmare.

Personally I think the cars look just ridiculous. The front wing is way off the ground and looks stupid, the shape of the rear wing looks just wrong, I hate the chav wheel covers and then there's the circus clown car "porpoising". They look more like Hotwheel's specials than supposedly the pinnacle of motorsport. But yes, the porpoising seemed more severe at Imola to me as well.

Personally I think the cars look just ridiculous. The front wing is way off the ground and looks stupid, the shape of the rear wing looks just wrong, I hate the chav wheel covers and then there's the circus clown car "porpoising". They look more like Hotwheel's specials than supposedly the pinnacle of motorsport. But yes, the porpoising seemed more severe at Imola to me as well.
Yeah I think we've got the emperors new clothes of the racing world.

I'm not convinced the actual racing is any better either. Imola was pretty dull to be honest. Ok, so they follow a bit closer. if their pace is even..but they still struggle to get by. Also, we still have two completely dominant teams like last year except Merc has been replaced by Ferrari.

Of course they influence the aero, don't be daft. But I agree that they probably made no difference to the porpoising issue; that's about weight distribution, suspension setup, and the underbody.

They influence the aero to less than 0.3% of the overal downforce.

I'm not convinced the actual racing is any better either. Imola was pretty dull to be honest. Ok, so they follow a bit closer. if their pace is even..but they still struggle to get by. Also, we still have two completely dominant teams like last year except Merc has been replaced by Ferrari.
The racing would have been fine with the new car aero regs. The problem at Imola was that it was still wet off-line so no one could throw one down the inside to get past.

I'm not convinced the actual racing is any better either. Imola was pretty dull to be honest. Ok, so they follow a bit closer. if their pace is even..but they still struggle to get by.

Imola is a tiny circuit (when compared with the others). Lack of DRS didn't help but racing is still much better when you're seeing cars closer and not constantly trying to manage things because of the dirty air - might not be significantly different, but still better than last year.

Also, we still have two completely dominant teams like last year except Merc has been replaced by Ferrari.

You must've missed the last few races. Yea, 2 teams are better than the rest but at least they're racing. Last year there was often a clear difference in which car was better on which circuit.

They influence the aero to less than 0.3% of the overal downforce.

I rather doubt anyone outside Merc has accurate figures on that - assuming even they do - but there is much more to aero than downforce anyway. Simple common sense would suggest that anything that Merc went to that length to hide was something they thought important enough to try and avoid their competitors rapidly copying.

Imola is a tiny circuit (when compared with the others). Lack of DRS didn't help but racing is still much better when you're seeing cars closer and not constantly trying to manage things because of the dirty air - might not be significantly different, but still better than last year.

You must've missed the last few races. Yea, 2 teams are better than the rest but at least they're racing. Last year there was often a clear difference in which car was better on which circuit.

Not really. Red Bull were obviously faster than Ferrari in the race today. Likewise, Ferrari were obviously faster than Red Bull in some of the previous tracks.

Honestly, the "racing" really isn't any better and i think a lot of people have been taken in by the promoter's/organiser's/commentator's rhetoric.

Its just last season but with bouncy cars, Hamilton and Merc replaced with Leclerc and Ferrari, and the two rubbish Ferrari powered teams now suddenly pretty quick.

Not really. Red Bull were obviously faster than Ferrari in the race today. Likewise, Ferrari were obviously faster than Red Bull in some of the previous tracks.

Honestly, the "racing" really isn't any better and i think a lot of people have been taken in by the promoter's/organiser's/commentator's rhetoric.

Its just last season but with bouncy cars, Hamilton and Merc replaced with Leclerc and Ferrari, and the two rubbish Ferrari powered teams now suddenly pretty quick.

Previously it used to be chore trying to exit that final corner before the DRS straight - they're definitely more consistently closer this year.

Mid field has plenty action, and I think it's a bit of a pipe dream to think that more than 1-2 teams would have been at the front. Also, we're heading to better circuits so we can only wait and see.

I'm guessing your favourite team isn't in front though because I don't see why it's a problem that Mag and Bot are racing in the higher positions.

Previously it used to be chore trying to exit that final corner before the DRS straight - they're definitely more consistently closer this year.

Mid field has plenty action, and I think it's a bit of a pipe dream to think that more than 1-2 teams would have been at the front. Also, we're heading to better circuits so we can only wait and see.

I'm guessing your favourite team isn't in front though because I don't see why it's a problem that Mag and Bot are racing in the higher positions.

I never said it was a problem :confused:

I just don't understand the immense praise of these new rules. I don't think they have markedly changed much in terms of the excitement/eventfulness of the races. They have shuffled the pack a bit and made the cars bounce ridiculously.

I mean in Australia, Leclerc led every lap and won easily and the same happened in Imola for Verstappen.

Not really. Red Bull were obviously faster than Ferrari in the race today.

Were they? In quali, Leclerc seemed faster but failed to put in a lap at the key moment. In the sprint, Leclerc was faster but leant too hard on his tyres and so Max was able to pass him. In the race, Leclerc got a bad start but was otherwise seemed faster than Pérez (although not enough faster to catch and pass), Max was able to build a gap because Leclerc was held up not because the Red Bulls were obviously faster. RB/Ferrari seemed pretty close all weekend, at least between the two no.1 drivers.

I rather doubt anyone outside Merc has accurate figures on that - assuming even they do - but there is much more to aero than downforce anyway. Simple common sense would suggest that anything that Merc went to that length to hide was something they thought important enough to try and avoid their competitors rapidly copying.

The info was direct from the Merc design office.

Yes the cosmetic sidepods were to hide the slim packaged design underneath.

The whole car was originally designed to work best with the slim packaging, the cosmetic sidepods at Barca to hide that slim packaging.

The porpoiseing took everyone by surprise as there was zero sign of anything in early design.

Last edited:
I never said it was a problem :confused:

I just don't understand the immense praise of these new rules. I don't think they have markedly changed much in terms of the excitement/eventfulness of the races. They have shuffled the pack a bit and made the cars bounce ridiculously.

I mean in Australia, Leclerc led every lap and won easily and the same happened in Imola for Verstappen.

I mean the rules will never fix that unless you start standardising important parts. With open design, you're always going to get this scenario, so I completely agree that the new rules didn't drastically change anything. At least this time we have 2 teams fighting.

It's actually weird now that Merc have been dethroned; it added some flair to the sport having a villain/final boss.

I mean the rules will never fix that unless you start standardising important parts. With open design, you're always going to get this scenario, so I completely agree that the new rules didn't drastically change anything. At least this time we have 2 teams fighting.

We had two teams fighting last season though under the old regulations. I'm not so confident the new regs guarantee that one of the teams won't become dominant like Merc were under the old ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom