Poll: Emilia Romagna Grand Prix 2022, Imola - Race 4

Rate the Emilia Romagna grand prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the highlights. Given that Russell and Hamilton both have the same porpoising issue, I'm wondering why Russell did so much better and has almost twice as many points. Perhaps Lewis has mentally given up and lost his mojo.

Just watched the highlights. Given that Russell and Hamilton both have the same porpoising issue, I'm wondering why Russell did so much better and has almost twice as many points. Perhaps Lewis has mentally given up and lost his mojo.
Interesting radio convo grovelling to Hamilton post the race too.
Being lapped by Verstappen would not have gone down well.
Really hoping Mercedes find the pace to make it a three team championship.
Absolute stonking year so far for me, I just want DRS to go now the cars can finally overtake.

First race I've watched this season, I don't know what I'd have done instead because I was mentally shattered, but the viewing certainly didn't perk me up! I missed the Imola GP last year, I got the impression last year it was quite a success as a spectacle, but today was a snoozefest when the rain ought to have mixed things up a bit. Bizarre delay on DRS being allowed. Shame about Leclerc's spin, but very lucky to not bin it completely, at least he got a few points.

Hamilton has always been poor tactically. Button always used to out do him when they were at Mclaren. Should have gone onto slicks. What did he have to lose?
I agree.
I just watched the CH4 highlights and was shouting at Mercedes to bring in Hamilton for slicks 2-3 laps earlier than he did. Instead he pitted when everyone else did, went from 11th down to 14th and was stuck there for the rest of the race :cry:

That was a prime opportunity to try something to gain time/positions.

I agree.
I just watched the CH4 highlights and was shouting at Mercedes to bring in Hamilton for slicks 2-3 laps earlier than he did. Instead he pitted when everyone else did, went from 11th down to 14th and was stuck there for the rest of the race :cry:

That was a prime opportunity to try something to gain time/positions.

He seemed to have a slow stop. He got leapfrogged in the pits by a few cars who were behind him.

Ocon's unsafe release which put him in the lead of the DRS train seemed to totally neutralise the race for those four cars. That must have been so incredibly dull for all of them.

Still poor from Lewis though, even with the continued bad luck.

Ugh, no. The best part of the race was before they turned it on. Actually watching drivers properly battling for position was far more interesting than the boring DRS passes we watched yesterday. Also interesting how Lewis was closer to passing Gasly before DRS was enabled but couldn't get close once Gasly could hook up onto the Albon DRS express.

Yeh that was odd. He seemed to actually lose what he gained with DRS. There was a slow mo earlier in the race of the porpoising on Lewis' car and it looked totally insane.

Also, apart from Ferrari and Red Bull, the consistency in pace between the other teams and drivers is all over the place.

I really could not , in any confidence say how the midfield ranks after the FER and RB.

Like, how did Yuki get where he was while Gasly languished behind Albon for example? Where did Bottas' pace to catch Russell come from?

I dont really get why albon, gasly and Lewis were locked together if Albon wasn't getting DRS..?

Yeh that was odd. He seemed to actually lose what he gained with DRS.

I think what happens is that when two cars have DRS the front car gets it first letting them increase the gap before they reach the attack zone. Possibly also drops the degree of slipstream?

Then when Gasly couldn't challenge Albon (or preferred to defend?) Hamilton was stuck.

Average race. Not great for a wet race.
Glad Rbr pulled back a bit to keep the interest.

As expected Rbr 1,2 (from sprint info)
As expected alpine were poor (same as sprint)
Ferrari blew it unnecessarily.

Great by Russell and norris
Good to see perez having a better season
Wanted to see bottas get Russell but didn't think he would.
Hamilton well beaten by Russell this weekend.

OK race. But if it wasn't wet, probably 3/10

Perhaps Lewis has mentally given up and lost his mojo.

Probably planning his next t-shirt photoshoot while driving the car.

Its kind of sad to be honest seeing how poorly he is performing. Previous greats even in bad cars managed to wrangle it around the track and stay competitive.

Hamilton has just checked out. Probably saw that Russell is the new poster boy in merc and started making alternate plans.

Wonder if hes looking for a move to Ferrari, afterall, that has been one of his long term aims as a driver for many years.

Boring race, I went out half way through and didn't miss anything other than LeClerc binning it.

Mercedes still awful, Hamilton seems to be struggling more. Probably because he's used to driving a good car while Russell was used to driving around in rubbish for a few seasons now.

People need to chill its 4 races and Hamilton has been more #cursed than #blessed the last few races. I'm sure the 7 time champ and GOAT will turn it around

Last edited:
Are there any websites that show each drives lap by lap time? F1 just shows fastest and last lap but I'm curious to see how different Lewis and George where and how much the positions later on, e.g. Lewis in the DRS train, affected lap time if at all.

All of the Hamilton haters out in force, I
Probably planning his next t-shirt photoshoot while driving the car.

Its kind of sad to be honest seeing how poorly he is performing. Previous greats even in bad cars managed to wrangle it around the track and stay competitive.

Hamilton has just checked out. Probably saw that Russell is the new poster boy in merc and started making alternate plans.

Wonder if hes looking for a move to Ferrari, afterall, that has been one of his long term aims as a driver for many years.
A bit harsh for someone of Lewis's obvious talents, you don't win 7 wc's on sheer car superiority alone. I think the issues were probably exaggerated by the type of track and drs chains. Russell on the other hand was driving mostly in clear air. But you've gotta feel for the guy as I'm sure he's driving his heart out, as they all do. But we could be seeing his last season...

People need to chill its 4 races and Hamilton has been more #cursed than #blessed the last few races. I'm sure the 7 time champ and GOAT will turn it around

I wouldn’t even put the time and effort in to ranking the Merc drivers. Yes, Russell has performed better; car may suit his style more or he’s just used to driving terrible cars, but we’ve also heard about them each trying different setups to understand why the car is so bad. This stupid sprint format doesn’t allow much setup time anyway.

From this race, it was impressive seeing how composed the RB was. They’ve built an incredible car for it to be so stable this early in new regs. The Ferrari is obviously also excellent in the corners, but it makes the straight look like it’s full of potholes.

I wouldn’t even put the time and effort in to ranking the Merc drivers. Yes, Russell has performed better; car may suit his style more or he’s just used to driving terrible cars, but we’ve also heard about them each trying different setups to understand why the car is so bad. This stupid sprint format doesn’t allow much setup time anyway.

From this race, it was impressive seeing how composed the RB was. They’ve built an incredible car for it to be so stable this early in new regs. The Ferrari is obviously also excellent in the corners, but it makes the straight look like it’s full of potholes.

I suspect Russell has become more used to driving a dog of a car after his spell at Williams, Lewis is so used to having a good, fast car over this past 6-7 years - he's forgotten what a crap car is like!.

Not sure it's so much being used to driving a dog but definitely more used to picking his battles off the line/for the first lap, that seemed to be where most of the positions were gained/lost... Add on poor strategy by Merc/Hamilton (he lost a couple of places to people changing to slicks a lap earlier), the Ocon unsafe release and he was never getting past that DRS train, not sure Russell would've either tbh.

It did surprise me that Gasly was unable to get past Albon though even with DRS, especially as Tsunoda was flying past cars further up the road.

Poor race generally though, Imola sucks for modern F1, it was massively better this year than last with the new cars but it still sucks. Why they keep picking Imola over Mugello...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom