Enabling AHCI on Asus P5K?

Associate
Hi there, I have recently ordered a 120 gb SSD drive to replace my current hard drive.
I have been told to change my bios configuration from native IDE to AHCI to increase performance on the SSD.

I will be running a clean install of Windows 7 (64) and at present have no option to change the bios to AHCI mode with my current hard drive.The only option I get is IDE.

Is there a way I can get my new SSD running In AHCI on a P5k?

Any help, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Associate
Use the arrow down to highlight the area shown in the diagram above

Hit Enter

This will show a box with IDE and AHCI

Arrow down again to highlight AHCI

Hit Enter

Done :)

Press F10 - so save changes

press Y

Enter

sorry I'm just assuming that you may not know how to do this in the BIOS and nothing else :)

hope this helps

Associate
OP
Thanks for the quick reply's.Yes I am very familiar with the bios and realize how to change the option, but the only option I have there is IDE.That is the reason I have posted this thread.

The only option I have for AHCI in the bios is under the advanced tab in Onboard Device Configuration Controller, mode section.There I can choose from either ide, raid or AHCI.

Will it have the same desired effect on my new SSD drive if I change this option instead or is this for something different.

Many thanks for the help.

Caporegime
The only option I have for AHCI in the bios is under the advanced tab in Onboard Device Configuration Controller, mode section.There I can choose from either ide, raid or AHCI.

That'll do the job as long as it's for the Intel controller.

And I don't think you have a P5K if the Intel controller supports RAID.

On the P5K the Intel controller doesn't support RAID and you have an option for that.

The only controller on the P5K which supports RAID is the JMicron controller.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yes sorry that was for the Jmicron controller so i'm back to square one.Do you have any idea why i am not getting the option to change my drive to AHCI?

Caporegime
Do you have any idea why i am not getting the option to change my drive to AHCI?

Yep.

It's to do with the BIOS version.

Apparently Asus removed the AHCI option due to licencing issues over the basic Intel ICH9 south bridge compared to the ICH9R chipset.

I suppose it depends on what BIOS version you have, what BIOS version you need, and if having the AHCI option is worth going back to an earlier BIOS or trying to cross flash another motherboard's BIOS.

This thread will give you some idea but messing about with BIOS versions, or cross flashing with another motherboard's BIOS, is at your own risk:

Here is how to enable AHCI on P5K

Also Google "asus pk5 ahci" and you'll find people having problems with AHCI mode on the P5K even when they can enable it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You're welcome.

I don't own an SSD but from what I've read you should see a noticeable improvement in things like boot, load and access times. Things should just be more snappy.

As your motherboard only has SATA 2 ports you won't see the full speed from an SSD but it should be a big improvement over a HDD.

Also remember that if you install Windows to the SSD then disconnect any HDD's you have while doing so otherwise some installation files can end up on the HDD.

The good thing about having stuff delivered from a retailer is that you can return it under the Distance Selling Regulations if you're not happy with it.

You can try the drive and if you want to return it you have 7 working days following the day of receipt to notify the retailer that you want to return it under the Distance Selling Regulations and you get a full refund including the delivery costs you paid. You just have to pay the postage to return it.

Try it and if it isn't what you hoped for then you can return it.

You'll have to check the particular retailers website for their procedure.

As an example this is what OcUK say:

Under the Distance Selling Regulations (2000) you have the right to cancel the contract relating to your order at any time up to the end of 7 working days after the goods are delivered. To exercise your right of cancellation, you must give written notice to Overclockers UK by letter, fax or RMA WebNote giving details of the goods ordered and date received. Notification by phone is not acceptable. If you exercise your right of cancellation under the Distance Selling Regulations (2000) after the goods have been delivered to you, you will be responsible for returning the goods to Overclockers UK at your own cost. The Distance Selling Regulations (2000) places a duty on you to take reasonable care of the goods once you have exercised your right to cancel. Returned items must be packaged properly and shipped in a plain outer box. Please try to include all internal packaging, cables, manuals, drivers and protective bags, however small. Overclockers UK will refund you within 30 days for any sum that has been paid by you or debited from your credit or debit card for the goods. If after exercising your right under the Distance Selling Regulations (2000) you do not return the goods as required, Overclockers UK may charge you a sum not exceeding the direct costs of recovering the goods. When exercising your right to cancel under the Distance Selling Regulations (2000) please return goods to Overclockers UK (Esnet Ltd), 4 Axis, Millenium way, High Carr Business Park, Newcastle-under-lyme, ST5 7UF.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers Surveyor for your time on this.I now have the SSD installed as my OS boot drive and my old hard drive is reformatted for storage.

I have already noticed differences in boot times especially just after the desktop loads on my old HD it would take a while for programs to load, but this thing is instant.

I have not tried it yet but I was hoping it would clear up the odd stutters I get whilst playing PC games/simulators.

Caporegime
No problem.

If it's the type of game where data is loaded on the fly then an SSD may solve the stuttering.

I don't know how much RAM you have but in other games, such as Battlefield 3, improvements have been seen by going from 4GB to 8GB of RAM.

See here, here and here.

A 64 bit operating system is needed to use more than ~3.5GB of RAM.

Associate
OP
Its mainly for IL2 Cliffs of Dover and a few other games.Ill look at upgrading my ram soon.I have 4 gig Ram.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Here is Atto's SSD benchmark results for it.Thought I would check how hampered I am running in native IDE.
What sort of read and write speeds would you be getting on a normal 7200rpm drive like the one I upgraded from?

Atto1.jpg

Associate
OP
So these speeds arent too bad then?

The SSD helps a lot in games it seems.BF3 and Cliffs of dover are running very smooth with 6950 and 3.2 quad.

Back
Top Bottom