Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I just pay for what I use every month, I refuse to do DD for this exact reason.

And of course they can charge me MORE for paying for what I use, makes complete sense!

I pay x amount DD that does not cover it in winter, then pay the remainder once they calculate my monthly submitted meter reads, am with Octopus energy ... I like it this way, works for me, sure I know variable DD exists, but prefer this way.

Just seen a TV advert for JML Instant Heater, sort of a strip wall mounted heater, has motion sensor and a remote, can be set to come on only when you go into room, also the quoted energy usage figures seem very reasonable indeed.
Cost £199 and would take a while to pay for itself, bought JML stuff before with hit and miss results. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this heater/reliability ETC ... TV advert says its only available online.

Looks like an infra red heater allied with a movement sensor to turn it on, and a timer to turn it off after movement ceases. Infra red tends to heat animate objects rather than the air in the room, so is pretty efficient if that's what you desire. I could knock something like that up for a fraction of the cited price, if I had a mind to though.

Yea and then they up the DD to whatever they want, no thanks, the article above just proves that point, holding onto 2 billion of peoples money, outrageous!

I will be in control of what I pay thank you
£2b is in the region of £150 and £180 per direct debit customer. That’s nothing when the average direct debit is £210.

The real cost is over £300 a month without government support.

Please don’t let facts get in the way of a good story.

I’d agree if it was 2019 and the average bill was £1200. Newsflash it isn’t and it’s entirely expected they would have more than doubled the amount of customer credit they have.

Anyone who gets a £600 bill must be stupid

No they wouldn’t. I expect millions of people would have had a £600 bill for this months usage, particularly if you live in Scotland where there were lows of -12 for a week.

Absolutely this. Targeted immigration.
Also noticing no one wants to manage now. Me included. Once you get into higher tax it quickly feels like even 10k isn't worth extra responsibility.

It is one of those situations where you only know when you know. Suddenly hitting that stage with a significant (to most) pay rise of 10k doesn't feel like much.

The pay for managing isn't worth it at this level. 60k? No thanks. 70k? Nope. And no one will pay much more.

People who do want more cash are. Working for themselves. Does seem like that middle management level is most unappealing level. Especially in tech. As non manager pays plenty enough.

But there's the argument.. Is middle management really needed in tech?

Speak for yourself :p middle management at my tech employer entitles you to 15% bonus and annual RSU allocations (versus 8% bonus and no RSU for lower grades). Middle management usually comes with car allowances too.

For the record, I did 10 years at my current employer before taking on my management role in the same team - I'm absolutely a positive gain for the company as I have indepth working knowledge of all our customers and their systems and stop the flow of excrement down onto my team to allow them to be effective in their roles :p

For the record, I did 10 years at my current employer before taking on my management role in the same team - I'm absolutely a positive gain for the company as I have indepth working knowledge of all our customers and their systems and stop the flow of excrement down onto my team to allow them to be effective in their

Where do you work? OcUK?

Jokes…. Some places it feels like they not needed. I used to love the words plausible deniability cos that’s what it usually is.

Most staff underneath need an umbrella ready.

Where do you work? OcUK?

Jokes…. Some places it feels like they not needed. I used to love the words plausible deniability cos that’s what it usually is.

Most staff underneath need an umbrella ready.

At my place, I am that umbrella. If anything falls on them then you can be damn sure I did everything I could to avoid it.

I don't doubt there are some useless managers out there (I've worked for some of them) but there are useless people at all levels, not just management

At my place, I am that umbrella. If anything falls on them then you can be damn sure I did everything I could to avoid it.

I don't doubt there are some useless managers out there (I've worked for some of them) but there are useless people at all levels, not just management

That’s good to know. So they are required at your place. I’ve worked at places where management would do their upmost to help but I’ve also worked at places where management did not care one single bit.

Yea and then they up the DD to whatever they want, no thanks, the article above just proves that point, holding onto 2 billion of peoples money, outrageous!

I will be in control of what I pay thank you
What?
Whole amount is where you pay your EXACT bill every month by DD, they can't put it up, its just a automated way of paying for your exact bill every month manually.

Agree.

The old pay the bill when it came approach had many people very much complaining, I remember those days.
Many people are useless at budgeting or frankly don't even attempt it.

Frankly it should just be a simple choice, pay in arrears (slightly more to cover the loan they are in effect making you constantly) or pay in equal instalments.

Its not always the case that you end up in credit paying monthly either. I've been in arrears as often as in credit I would say. Very much it seems to depend when you renew.
As I regularly seemed to end up late in the year renewing my deal I would practically always owe them money during the winter which I cleared in the summer.
Ahh so you agree with me now fixed DD perhaps should have a little premium for the credit given?

There are loads of posts here from people over the last few months who were having trouble setting their DD properly, or in some cases had their suppliers increasing the DD for no reason despite having huge balances.

To save headaches and wasted time chasing suppliers to edit DD values, it's best to pay on a consumption basis if you can afford to do so.

Anyone who wants to run the gauntlet of estimates should have no cause to complain really when variable is always an option they just don't want to take it.
A week or so before christmas one of the cabinet members commented he wasnt happy that the suppliers dont review usage every month, people reducing their usage but fixed DD not noticing until the review period comes up, as an example Octopus only review once a year in April.

Going to be an expensive month. Cold days, WFH days due to cold/rail strikes, guests staying over. Probably £200-250 before the government saving and that’s with a pretty cold house for the most part too. Should use less into early next year if we don’t get any cold spells.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom