Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Going to be an expensive month. Cold days, WFH days due to cold/rail strikes, guests staying over. Probably £200-250 before the government saving and that’s with a pretty cold house for the most part too. Should use less into early next year if we don’t get any cold spells.

Time for more clothes and sitting under extra blankets at your desk.

Going to be an expensive month. Cold days, WFH days due to cold/rail strikes, guests staying over. Probably £200-250 before the government saving and that’s with a pretty cold house for the most part too. Should use less into early next year if we don’t get any cold spells.
Luckily since that all day run I did, I havent used any heating since. Room temp has mostly been 14-18C, although the last day or so dropped to 12-14C. But still no where near the sub 5C in the arctic air we had.

Don't forget on 1st April price cap goes up to £3000 and the government are stopping the £67 per month support. Things are going to get much worse.

How long is it taking you guys' house to warm up? Am noticing I need to boost for 50mins so immediately at around 2 quid a turn for heating. Smart TRVs are poorly calibrated so have been switching off too soon... Need to balance the system I think!

just got a new house which is supplied by eon.next they only offered a standard rate option, but looks like its really high unit charge during the day (over cap) and a lot lower at night. Worth me speaking to them to get moved to a single rate? We never use much at night time

Heating will be off by then.

Still won't change much if heating is not on as with direct debit you will be paying more to offset the winter 2023/24 payments.

It will be interesting to see what the government will do as you cannot give handouts all the time. People need to learn at some point.

Last edited:
Still won't change much if heating is not on as with direct debit you will be paying more to offset the winter 2023/24 payments.

It will be interesting to see what the government will do as you cannot give handouts all the time. People need to learn at some point.
some people yes, but for a lot of folks there its just going to be a case of suffering!

It's ok saying that but people are being constantly being ripped off costs are rising but people's incomes are staying the same or falling

I get that but the support needs to end at some point.

It was correct to support people for a short time so that the initial huge and immediate increase was adsorbed as much as possible but the government schemes should be seen as a buffer to give people some time to rearrange finances so that they are better placed to then take care of it themselves going forward.

i appreciate there will be a section of society who cannot cut any more but there is also a section of society who are unwilling to cut things. The items I refer to are things like TV streaming packages, gym memberships etc.

I get that but the support needs to end at some point.

It was correct to support people for a short time so that the initial huge and immediate increase was adsorbed as much as possible but the government schemes should be seen as a buffer to give people some time to rearrange finances so that they are better placed to then take care of it themselves going forward.

i appreciate there will be a section of society who cannot cut any more but there is also a section of society who are unwilling to cut things. The items I refer to are things like TV streaming packages, gym memberships etc.
jesus christ this Kirsty Allsopp trope again.

It's ok saying that but people are being constantly being ripped off costs are rising but people's incomes are staying the same or falling

Yet I bet there are plenty of people with a car on the drip costing several hundred a month and the latest phone on a £50 a month contract or a mortgage that is already maxed.

In the end we have to pay for it through taxes.

The energy costs are what they are. If you want to blame anyone blame the government and vote in the next GE as they cancelled our Nuclear reactors. The same with Scottish Parliament and you can go even further back to the privatisation of utilities.

These energy costs will likely be here to stay for at least half a decade.

Last edited:
Well, if you disagree then let's hear an actual counter argument rather than just some throwaway glib comment.

I'm happy for my post to be corrected

There's nothing to correct given you just have an opinion. It's also lol that you'd call what I said glib after sharing your own glib opinion.

To unpack it, my personal opinion is it's a depressing set of circumstances where we grasp for what people could cut away (you know, the things that make living more than simply existing) rather than go for the far more complicated and nuanced reasons for why we're here.

Yes, people could cut sky, the gym, those pesky avocados etc.. you know, the stuff that generally can't possibly add up to the increase in energy costs anyway.. or we could talk about how we've wound up in the place where people can work full time, still require benefits and still end up in many parts of the country unable to secure decent housing whilst leaving enough to have fun/soak up unexpected costs.

It's just SO tediously daily mail to assume people are here because of their own stupidity.

Back
Top Bottom