Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I don’t see why they won’t. Shouldn’t be allowed to tell the customers what to do.

We need to get rid of estimates then there wouldn’t be a reason to over pay or underpay.

Most people can’t save that’s the problem.

Your understanding seems rather confusing, you've just answered your own question why energy companies build up balances. They're scared of customers going into debt and having to go through the rigmarole of either sending debt collectors, or the extent of disconnecting the meter.

It's easier for them to build up credit balances and not have to worry about it.

Your understanding seems rather confusing, you've just answered your own question why energy companies build up balances. They're scared of customers going into debt and having to go through the rigmarole of either sending debt collectors, or the extent of disconnecting the meter.

It's easier for them to build up credit balances and not have to worry about it.

I know why they do it. Public can’t be trusted right?

Yeah it's got nothing to do with the interest they can earn on such balances.

Nah.

You’re *

No surprises there then, posts nonsense and worries about grammar rather than content. Stereotype confirmed.

We have been round this before, its hard to tell exactly, but when I looked at Octopus balance sheet the customer debt seemed to be in the same sort of region as the customer credit.
Did you do any research or just go to derp level 11 off the bat?

And as per before, paying for energy in advance is a cost to the business, if everyone paid in arrears there would be more financing required and hence the price would be higher.

I would still support ringfenced customer deposits however, even though that would put everyones costs up.

Ring fenced balances are fine but they also need to be able to be used to secure customers energy in advance, doing that seems perfectly sensible.

I agree, although I think to avoid some of the issues we saw this year, they should only be allowed to be used where the rate the energy will be sold at exceeds the cost.
What we saw earlier this year was customers balances in effect supporting businesses that were selling the energy at a loss.

I'd rather pay 340 a month for 12 months than 150 and then 600. So would most of the world it seems. Just the odd few on OCUK that seem to think bIg UtIlITy is scamming us.

Agree.

The old pay the bill when it came approach had many people very much complaining, I remember those days.
Many people are useless at budgeting or frankly don't even attempt it.

Frankly it should just be a simple choice, pay in arrears (slightly more to cover the loan they are in effect making you constantly) or pay in equal instalments.

Its not always the case that you end up in credit paying monthly either. I've been in arrears as often as in credit I would say. Very much it seems to depend when you renew.
As I regularly seemed to end up late in the year renewing my deal I would practically always owe them money during the winter which I cleared in the summer.

I'd rather pay 340 a month for 12 months than 150 and then 600. So would most of the world it seems. Just the odd few on OCUK that seem to think bIg UtIlITy is scamming us.

There are loads of posts here from people over the last few months who were having trouble setting their DD properly, or in some cases had their suppliers increasing the DD for no reason despite having huge balances.

To save headaches and wasted time chasing suppliers to edit DD values, it's best to pay on a consumption basis if you can afford to do so.

Anyone who wants to run the gauntlet of estimates should have no cause to complain really when variable is always an option they just don't want to take it.

Last edited:
This.

Current policy and general public thinking is geared towards a population distribution like that of 1966, not 2016 and especially not 2066

UK population distribution forecast by age:
xxbBXy0.png

I hope anyone on here under 40 understands retirement isn't going to be a thing anymore unless changes are made. Especially those in the "Baby implosion" (born year ~2000)

Baby boomers are all about to walk away from work. And they generally have a better work ethic than us young folk.

Not seen the projected demographics like this not surprised.
Yes totally expect not to retire unless manage to save enough through life.

On dishwashers.

I wouldn't be without one. If mine terminally broke I'd be getting one delivered the same week. Saves so much time. Always manage to fill it. Put it on eco mode 3 hours later its done. I like to empty it while making food. So doesn't even feel it costs time to fill

Heat pump tumble isn't worth outlay for me. Use it too few times a year. It would never make its money back.

We need controlled immigration targeted at the right sectors though.

That said, I don’t see many people taking on extra responsibilities or promotions anymore, especially since Covid, young or old. People value their time more. I’m the same, especially when any additional income gets hammered with tax, there’s just no point.

Absolutely this. Targeted immigration.
Also noticing no one wants to manage now. Me included. Once you get into higher tax it quickly feels like even 10k isn't worth extra responsibility.

It is one of those situations where you only know when you know. Suddenly hitting that stage with a significant (to most) pay rise of 10k doesn't feel like much.

The pay for managing isn't worth it at this level. 60k? No thanks. 70k? Nope. And no one will pay much more.

People who do want more cash are. Working for themselves. Does seem like that middle management level is most unappealing level. Especially in tech. As non manager pays plenty enough.

But there's the argument.. Is middle management really needed in tech?

Just seen a TV advert for JML Instant Heater, sort of a strip wall mounted heater, has motion sensor and a remote, can be set to come on only when you go into room, also the quoted energy usage figures seem very reasonable indeed.
Cost £199 and would take a while to pay for itself, bought JML stuff before with hit and miss results. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this heater/reliability ETC ... TV advert says its only available online.

Back
Top Bottom