Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Until market conditions are changed, nothing will improve.
Only fix I see for gas at this point its reducing reliance on it, heat pumps etc. Easier to fix electric.

But most of our electricity is generated by gas though? We need an across the board plan, I hate when the government/media try and tackle complex global issues with a single step plan/slogan. We need renewables, we need gas, we need gas storage, we need nuclear, we need grid scale storage, we need improvements to insulation etc. etc.

Last edited:
But most of our electricity is generated by gas though? We need an across the board plan, I hate when the government/media try and tackle complex global issues with a single step plan/slogan. We need renewables, we need gas, we need gas storage, we need nuclear, we need improvements to insulation etc.
Yep making the gas problem even worse, we can fix that with investing in renewables including Nuclear. We need to ignore the moaners, spend and get on with it. Those of us on trackers can see glimpses of whats possible when it gets windy. Latest plunge pricing alert was yesterday.

Last edited:
whether there will be any new power generation on stream in the UK to stop exactly the same thing happening again next year assuming Russia are still invading Ukraine and being boycotted somewhat by the EU/UK

in truth I have no idea how much can be done in a year or whether the exact same thing will happen again

You just said it, until told otherwise the market will get worse cyclically from the gap in energy. OPEC lowered production, global GDP growth demands more energy and so on. UK has power coming 2030 unless you alter that situation personally
We will import more gas from USA but liquid shipped supply is not enough to counter other factors afaik, plus sterling is weak. Marry someone from Norway they are one of the richest nations in europe, the world even; their government policy for decades has been platinum quality plus just natural advantage.

The average homeowner burns about three tons of wood pellets per heating season. At an average retail price of $225/ton, pellets offer a fuel cost per million BTU of $18.18. To offer a fuel cost of $18.18 per million BTU, # 2 fuel oil and propane would have to be priced at $1.76/gal and $1.33/gal, respectively.

Benefits of wood pellets
pfi-industrial-5

One ton of wood pellets has the energy equivalency of 2.8 barrels of #2 fuel oil. (Energy Information Administration)
Pellet stoves have extremely low particulate emissions due to their high burn efficiency and the density of the fuel (<1 gm/hr). (Environmental Protection Agency)
Every ton of pellets used vs. oil reduces CO2 emissions by about 1.5 tons. Total emissions offset this year will be nearly 4.5 million tons of CO2.
Wood pellets have a fossil energy ratio (net energy output/fossil energy used) of 12:1. (Net Energy Value Study, University of Wisconsin Green Bay)

Last edited:
No they wouldn’t. I expect millions of people would have had a £600 bill for this months usage, particularly if you live in Scotland where there were lows of -12 for a week.
I live alone in 3 bedroom 60 years old house in Scotland use gas central heating to heat 5 rooms did not costed me £600 this month, my house got no cavity wall insulation, 300mm loft insulation and no roof insulation. Weeks ago when temp was low of -12C, my house was absolutely freeze, I cant sat down to used PC or walked to kitchen weared jumper and bathrobe but i was in bed all day to kept warm, my bedroom temp was very cold 15C and kitchen temp was freeze 12C. I turned on gas central heating for 12 hours daily to heated my house at 20C. All my windows are 30 years old double glazing, only 1 of my kitchen window was badly draughty I discovered back in Dec 2019 when my kitchen was felt exactly like a -18C freezer caused my head froze instantly everytime I woke up to walked downstair to kitchen to turned on gas central heating and jumped back in my bed but it took 10 hours to heated up my house to 20C. Months later I discovered cold wind outside blew through draughty kitchen window, tried bought draughty excluders and seals but none of it fitted so I wrapped kitchen papertowels with some water and pushed it inside small and big gaps and cold air stopped blew inside from outside. My house was finally able to heated up to 20C in 5 hours when turned on gas central heating. I ordered oodie blanket on 30 Nov but it took Envri 2 weeks to delivered, I finally got it on 13 Dec and put it on and wow it was very warm and cosy now I can sit to use PC or walk to kitchen while it was freeze -12C outside without stayed in my bed all day. Next day I woke up and put on oodie blanket to turned on gas central heating and I was surprised it took 3 hours to feel very warm and cosy instead of 12 hours a day earlier.

If my oodie blanket still not delivered then I assumed my 20 Dec bill would be around £250 but it was actually much lower at £210.41 after wore oodie blanket for a week. :)

tod07Ce.jpg

My annual gas bill will be about £950 after applied £150 Home Warm Discount. if my house had cavity wall insulation then my annual 2022 gas bill probably will be around £500 but with oodie blanket it probably will be around £300.

I probably will plan to get my house cavity wall insulation, roof insulation and new roof tiles in 2023 if gas tariff price will go up much higher.

Last edited:
Just had a look, and my year-on-year gas use for December is down 6% on last December. Not the sort of saving I was hoping for, but not bad considering the average temperature was 5°C lower over the billing period.

Last year's cost was £87.15. This year's, £240.81 :eek:

My annual gas bill will be about £950 after applied £150 Home Warm Discount. if my house had cavity wall insulation then my annual 2022 gas bill probably will be around £500 but with oodie blanket it probably will be around £300.

I probably will plan to get my house cavity wall insulation, roof insulation and new roof tiles in 2023 if gas tariff price will go up much higher.
has the installation standard for cavity wall insulation been clearly set now ... not sure that family relations had not have a rogue install that degraded the house insulation a few years back,
producing inappropriate heat bridging.
would like to know the cost of a professional insulation assessment for walls/windows/roof/floor - should be in demand I'd have thought.

Back
Top Bottom