Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I did take some more measures regarding isolation, cheap things, stuff like reflective foil on the back of radiators, I've isolated my single layered glass of my front door with plastic insulating foil, and I tried to solve all draughts at all windows and even under some doors. I failed a little bit as I noticed this week bathroom window is really leaky...
Congratulations on getting all that done, cutting down draughts makes such a difference. I took some floorboards up over Christmas chasing down a draught and found half a brick missing letting air in from my cavity. Will keep chasing down more leaks!

If money is tight then that might not help much. They vary in power consumption but can be up to 2KW depending on model. At say 25p per KWh on economy 7 then 7hours x 30 days x 2KW x £0.25 means a heating bill of over £100 per month for that heater alone before other usage and standing charge - it may not be that much cheaper. If you need to make substantial savings and you’re on your own then electric fleeces and blankets and such like might be a better option.

Thanks for your response. I have just done a meter reading which would be for 8 days. I just wanted to see how it was going. The cost of it is £50. So for a month, it seems it will cost me around £200.

Thank you to rumple9 as well as yourself for the suggestion about the electric blankets. I will go and get one I think.

latest windfall tax was expressly targetted at renewable/non-fossil from legacy providers w/o cfd contracts (cfd means consumer gets a kick-back if energy sold at a premium rate)

Congratulations on getting all that done, cutting down draughts makes such a difference. I took some floorboards up over Christmas chasing down a draught and found half a brick missing letting air in from my cavity. Will keep chasing down more leaks!

Be careful, there's a reason cavities have air bricks! In my rentals if the carpets don't lift in a strong wind I am concerned, static air breeds damp. It's in the tenancy agreements that no air bricks or inbuilt ventilation panels are to be blocked or restricted.

Houses with chimneys had a natural throughput of air, block them up at top or bottom and the place soon becomes damp without dehumidifying, which of course comes at its own considerably purchase and running costs.

Seal the place up like a drum, as desirable as it may initially appear, is just asking for damp and sky high humidity levels, with associated harm to the building structure and people's health

Dec results in as just did my usual 1st of the month readings:

Gas: 530kWh, £55
Elec: 116kWh, £59

Not including SC of £23 so total of £137 for the month (before the government support)

Edit - helps if I look at the right figures :cry:

Last edited:
Results in for GAS and Electric this month then.
- 390.25kWh = £48.64 on Gas of which £8.32 is daily charge
- 95kWh = £46.77 on Electric of which £14.73 is daily charge

Total cost = £95.41 - £67 = £28.41 for December bill. Oh less my £0.85 octopoints worth of credits! Lol. So £27.46 out of my current credit leaving me £95.63.

If we don't have any more super cold snaps I expect the gas bill to be 1/3rd what it was this month so should be good till May for them starting to actually charge me again.

Last edited:
2023-01-01-11-15-16-Your-energy-use-OVO-Energy-Mozilla-Firefox.png

2023-01-01-11-15-25-Your-energy-use-OVO-Energy-Mozilla-Firefox.png

Be careful, there's a reason cavities have air bricks! In my rentals if the carpets don't lift in a strong wind I am concerned, static air breeds damp. It's in the tenancy agreements that no air bricks or inbuilt ventilation panels are to be blocked or restricted.

Houses with chimneys had a natural throughput of air, block them up at top or bottom and the place soon becomes damp without dehumidifying, which of course comes at its own considerably purchase and running costs.

Seal the place up like a drum, as desirable as it may initially appear, is just asking for damp and sky high humidity levels, with associated harm to the building structure and people's health
Couldn't agree more. I tried sealing up and using a dehumidifier, somewhat effective but I've found best to leave a few windows open on the catch and use more heating.
House is much better for it cost wise there isn't much in it, use less electric more gas, but the air is fresher.

My December readings:

Elec 222kwh (£88.97 incl standing charge)
Gas 447kwh (54.10 incl standing charge)

Total £143.07
Less £67 from Government
Grand total £76.07

Our gas use for December '22 was about the same as December '21, but it cost us 3.5x more. Higher use than previous months in '22 was a consequence of colder weather and being at home more often.

Gas for December = 1870 kWh : £213

52599836381_1a24de1afc_o.jpg

Last edited:
December grid use for us was

electricity 388kwh
gas 1243 kWh

for a 4 bed house.

not sure if that is high use or not. on the bright side 80% of that electricity use is off peak so cleaner and cheaper.

we used more because I was at home for 5 days a week in December and then over Xmas my parents came to stay which meant using the electric under floor heating for 4 days and having the house far warmer than usual which was a killer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom