Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

fully charged has covered them a few times (YouTube channel). they do look interesting and also you dont have to have a costly install either you can just buy one like you can an electric heater if you want.

Infra red quartz tube heaters were as common as muck in the sixties and seventies, especially as ceiling or wall mounted heaters in bathrooms. I use infra red bulbs in the dog kennels at the moment. A 175 Watt bulb gives enough heat for two dogs down to as low as it will get here. (-12C or so was the worst I have recorded).

Last edited:
The gold standard for a GSHP is to use a bore hole so that isn't an issue. The heat is coming from the earths core, its more more stable and the risk of a badly designed system freezing the ground isn't there.

Indeed and that option was discussed, for all of 5 minutes. Bore holes are notoriously difficult and expensive to implement. The nominal cost per bore hole is circa £7k each, if you can get the machinery to where it needs to be. In my case, I live on quarried land in the Scottish Highlands so an estimated depth required would be 100m to 150m if not more in hard rock and two bore holes were calculated to be required. £20k just for digging two (very deep) holes :eek:. The horizontal slinky array design was far more cost effective.

Don't get me wrong, I was all set for GSHP when the RHI was available and think the technology is great but after research I found there were just too many compromises that had to be made. Now that the RHI is no longer available I'll be surprised if anybody installs a GSHP again.

energy is a finite resource , even if we were full nuclear that is still no reason to waste it.... ... and if we go full renewable which I would love to happen one day, actual intelligent energy use will be even more important.
why is wearing suitable clothes prehistoric thinking?
your comment reminds me of my old house mate. she used to wear skimpy little tops and wack the heating up full..... and open her window when she got hot...... didn't bother her as her rent included bills.... DID bother me as I was the landlord!

and suggesting wearing a jumper is going back to the stone age.... Christ, no wonder we are where we are with that attitude.
our throw away society attitude (and I am far from perfect as well) stinks. we should be striving to improve not go worse.
Someone failed physics. Energy is most definitely not a finite resource, the complete opposite in fact.
Suggest a quick Google of "conservation of energy"

There is a risk with GSHP that if the store of heat that is consumed during the winter isn't replenished by the sun in the summer (poor summer, tree cover, poor design) then it can effectively create a permafrost metres down in the land, which of course means less energy year on year, if anything. According to the expert I spoke to when I was considering GSHP it can happen in as little as 5 years. They wouldn't guarantee against it either for obvious reasons. There are countermeasures available to limit it but it just adds to an already expensive alternative.
The heat we are on about is borehole heat. 170m down not the cabling laid that is basically at surface level that you are discussing. I should have clarified but they are significantly different systems.

Indeed and that option was discussed, for all of 5 minutes. Bore holes are notoriously difficult and expensive to implement. The nominal cost per bore hole is circa £7k each, if you can get the machinery to where it needs to be. In my case, I live on quarried land in the Scottish Highlands so an estimated depth required would be 100m to 150m if not more in hard rock and two bore holes were calculated to be required. £20k just for digging two (very deep) holes :eek:. The horizontal slinky array design was far more cost effective.

Don't get me wrong, I was all set for GSHP when the RHI was available and think the technology is great but after research I found there were just too many compromises that had to be made. Now that the RHI is no longer available I'll be surprised if anybody installs a GSHP again.
Aye but that why it should be discussed and given as the option for new builds. Considering machinery already on site etc. Especially if you are piling foundations. The per house cost really wasn't all that expensive.

Someone failed physics. Energy is most definitely not a finite resource, the complete opposite in fact.
Suggest a quick Google of "conservation of energy"
talk about being a pedant!. usable energy for the purposes of thos discussion IS most definity finite and will be for the foreseeable

the fact that energy can't be destroyed does not mean it is infinite.... if I was to be equally pedantic however I would argue that earth is not an isolated system anyway.

over all it is slowly cooling at its core, but (currently) warming at its surface as we trap the heat in from the sun.. but that really does not directly effect generation of central heating energy unless you are saying airsourced heatpumps will get better over time as we destroy our environment through global warming

Last edited:
talk about being a pedant!. usable energy for the purposes of thos discussion IS most definity finite and will be for the foreseeable

the fact that energy can't be destroyed does not mean it is infinite.... if I was to be equally pedantic however I would argue that earth is not an isolated system anyway.
You specifically said nuclear and renewable.
While yes the sun is finite nobody ever needs worry about that. Wind, nope, hydro, nope, ground source, nope.
Nuclear, nope. So did you just mean gas and coal?

Last edited:

I’m actually pretty happy with that. Used less gas than any of the coldest months last winter, considering we were home for half of December and had guests over for several days. New dehumidifier arriving tomorrow that will also remove any excess moisture from the house.

Wk5ZazQ.jpg

Feels like a lot of gas!
Blue is electricity green is gas.
December's bill = £158
November = 123
October = 100
September = 70

Electric is incredibly consistent. So rest is gas.

(66/67 not subtracted in the above)

Last edited:
Wk5ZazQ.jpg

Feels like a lot of gas!
December's bill = £158
November = 123
October = 100
September = 70

Doesn't seem that high compared to mine. I used 2667 kWh in December.

Wk5ZazQ.jpg

Feels like a lot of gas!
December's bill = £158
November = 123
October = 100
September = 70

You're lucky you have better pricing because that would be about double on cap pricing, closing in on £300 I'd say.

Yeah it's shocking. I have one more winter of protection before I join everyone else :(

Do you mean 2024 end? I can't remember!
March 24 for me, so hopefully it won't get too painful until the following winter 24/25. Hoping we are in a better place as a country with all this crap by then.

It's a 4 bed detached early 90's I believe.

Ah yeah I think I remember you saying. It's amazing how bad insulation is going back in years. At my sisters new build over Christmas and house was so even in temperature and boiler wasn't on. Must save a fortune.

Last edited:
March 24 for me, so hopefully it won't get too painful until the following winter 24/25. Hoping we are in a better place as a country with all this crap by then.

Mines September . So it's going to be a huge jolt going from 22p/5p and paying summer temps straight into whatever market rate is and winer.

I know it'll be more. Just hope is closer to 30p/10p than 50p/20p.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom