Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I'm with Shell and about £600 in credit.

They e-mailed and told me to reduce the DD by £60 which I have done. It's currently around what I used to pay before the nonsense.

Can't complain. :o

Whatever happens to wholesale gas (or electricity) markets, get used to elevated standing charges for years to come, in order for the government to a) recoup costs for EPG and b) nice little stealth tax earner.

Last edited:
Keeping the house 4 degrees cooler, reducing the duration water is heated during the week by half and completely off at weekends (just about lasts until Sunday evening) my DD is now lower than it was before energy prices started mooning :cool:

December bill just in from OVO..(well just looked at it in email, I was to scared).

3 bed semi built in 80s. Myself, wife, 11 month old girl and dog.

£179
Gas £90 - 908.36 kWh at 9.95p with standing of 27.12p per day
Leccy £123 - 377.67 kWh at 32.59p with standing of 42.29p per day
-£67 support scheme

We had the heating on loads through December as we have an 11 month old, and also the dehumidifier on most days when doing laundry, cooking etc to keep moisture and humidity down. I usually love cold winters but at these prices the warm and wet winter is much needed. I completely redid the loft insulation and boarding early December so hopefully that saved us a little by keeping the heat in during that extreme cold spell but bill still seems crazy high.

The bump in pricing is mental.

ran45GS.jpg

Last edited:
December bill just in from OVO..(well just looked at it in email, I was to scared).

3 bed semi built in 80s. Myself, wife, 11 month old girl and dog.

£179
Gas £90
Leccy £123
-£67 support scheme

We had the heating on loads through December as we have an 11 month old, and also the dehumidifier on most days when doing laundry, cooking etc to keep moisture and humidity down. I usually love cold winters but at these prices the warm and wet winter is much needed. I completely redid the loft insulation and boarding early December so hopefully that saved us a little by keeping the heat in during that extreme cold spell but bill still seems crazy high.
But at what prices?

Have I really used 3x as much as you or do you have a bill shock coming when you drop out of a fix?

3 bed detached, built in 2019. 2 adults, 5 cats.

Leccy £119 (32p with a standing charge of 23p)
Gas £155 (8.7p with a standing charge of 20p)
VAT £13.5
Credit £68.5
Total £219

Dec 8-17 we were averaging £7.50 per say just on gas due to heating, but that has been down to £3 now with the warmer weather.

To be fair to Scottish Power I think my monthly DD estimate is spot on.

Its set at 110 and currently bill is 150.
(66 bonus is sent direct to bank so doesn't interfere)
I'm currently 30 in the red. And will probably be 100 in red before 110 is an over pay.

But looks spot on

Keeping the house 4 degrees cooler, reducing the duration water is heated during the week by half and completely off at weekends (just about lasts until Sunday evening) my DD is now lower than it was before energy prices started mooning :cool:

Good.

We all or many of us as possible need to start adopting this attitude.

More annoyance at OVO - I recieved the usual 'we're increasing your DD by 20%' which I strongly disagree with.

I called and asked to be placed onto a variable DD very bluntly and that I did not want an estimated DD, after a few times of them repeating the same information about how they work out the fixed price I saw on MSE that they don't do variable priced DD. Why did they not just say in the first place!?

I'm now looking at switching to a supplier who can offer a variable DD. Looks like Octopus are very well regarded.

I don't think variable dd is really a thing

What you want is a monthly bill, with your payment method set to DD rather than cheque/cash, you could argue its the same thing, but its arguably not.

Monthly / quarterly in arrears with collection via DD was pretty much the standard way until 10 or so years ago.
It is 100% a thing. I am on it. I pay by direct debit (the direct debit scheme that banks run) and it is variable. It is 100% a thing.

Surprised my bill is An affordable £174 (after government help). £152 on gas (1417 kwh) in December. However I now need to pay a heap of money to fix the issues the cold weather caused. I’ve got wallpaper and paint bubbling because of the water behind it not going anywhere and my en-suite has no heating and insulation so mould is a growing problem.

Sigh!

Back
Top Bottom