Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Some of these make me happy.
Through December our heating has been on 24/7 16c as off temp overnight and upstairs during the day.
Had a few windows on the catch for airflow.
Wife and child at home all day.
3 bed semi about 1980 build.

4 bed semi, 2 adults, 24/7 at 20 degrees, standard rate, December:

Elec £116.43 - 346 kWh
Gas £171.54 - 2107 kWh

I don't think British Gas add standing charge to the detailed usage charts so those values probably exclude that.

hadn't read any December cold-snap gas stats before ... still, mild for the time being now.

19th Dec https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-met-office-isnt-to-blame-for-possible-blackouts/
Britain burned through a fifth of its gas storage in the past week. Our reserves aren’t low because the Met Office said the winter would be lovely and mild – they are low because we can only store up to five days’ worth of supply at any given point. This capacity fell by 70 per cent five years ago, when the government decided the Rough storage facility in the North Sea wasn’t worth the cost of maintenance.

I’m with bulb and paid my bill on the 27th but it still hasn’t been credited to my account, usually goes on either the 28th or 29th of the month.

Once again BG have managed to screw up my billing this month.

Electric billed (but £0 cost because they didn't credit the Govn. assistance properly last month), but no gas bill issued and the system stated the next bill would be generated in February on whole amount DD. 45 minutes on hold to get through to their support desk and they have no explanation as to why the system skipped it. Bill finally generated manually though:

Elec: 267kWh - £106 (net £0 with 2 months of government credit)
Gas: 1300kWh - £145.

144sqm 4-bed new build house for comparison purposes. Our electric usage has climbed a lot this month as we're having to use the dehumidifier a lot more for drying clothes and the fish tank heater would have been going overtime during the colder weeks

I’m with bulb and paid my bill on the 27th but it still hasn’t been credited to my account, usually goes on either the 28th or 29th of the month.
I'm with Bulb also - my govt rebate usually gets credited on 2/3rd of month but nothing so far - might be to do with the octopus takeover ?

Lol. UK

5 days is fairly Risky. I mean even without the war.. Things go wrong. And most cold snaps last longer than 5 days.
I bet they are counting the pennies from closing those storage sites :cry:. I read they even tried to reopen them in desperation.

Last edited:
Lol. UK

5 days is fairly Risky. I mean even without the war.. Things go wrong. And most cold snaps last longer than 5 days.

How long does it take to refill? Is this really a big deal?

Where I am in the South the temp is not forecast to go below zero in the next 30 days..

Just made my usual payment of £150 to Octopus and even though I've also just given my Meter reading last week and they've produced a bill I'm going to be £400 in credit. Utterly ridiculous and if I use their forcast tool as well it says I'm going to be at least that much in debt by this time next year too!

Back
Top Bottom