Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

it's a bit clickbaity though if you read the title what he actually says is he expects energy prices to come down but likely not get back to pre pandemic levels any time soon.

which is not the same as they staying sky high like now.

arguably he isn't wrong that we do need to stop wasting energy so much and treat it like the previous resource it is, at least in this transition period away from fossil fuels.

if you heard the interview radio4 about 7am he didn't mention that the norwegian national wealth fund takes a big (windfall type) cut from all the gas they sell,
bbc sets up these interviews early to get a headline for the day , and really he had nothing to say.

------------------------------

thought this was more interesting ... shows heat pump tech is moving fast like ev's so engaging too early may be an issue
French startup Equium has developed a heat pump core that works on acoustic waves and produces hot and cold air. Equium manufactures the core and works with another company that integrates it into heat pump systems. The units are scalable from 1 kW to 3 kW and are designed for residential applications.

The novel heat pump can purportedly reach higher temperatures than existing heat pumps, without the need for refrigerants. It works with a high-fidelity (Hi-Fi) speaker powered by electricity that creates an acoustic wave in a closed-pressure vessel filled with helium at a pressure of 30 bars. The acoustic wave causes the gas to compress or expand, displacing heat from a lower temperature to a higher temperature, or vice versa. The heat pump core is filled with water, which absorbs or releases that heat.

“The acoustic wave does the work of compression and expansion of the gas that produces heat or cold, respectively,” Philippe Loyer, a product manager at Equium, told pv magazine.

Just signed up to Octopus via a family member’s referral link for the £50. However, I noticed that they have an Agile tariff which charges based on wholesale prices in half hour windows. Is there any downside to this with the EPG? If the price is less than 34p/kWh then I assume I pay less but if it’s more does the EPG bring it back down to that price?

If someone can develop green technology that doesn't cost the world, doesn't require massive amounts of space to install and can heat the majority of UK housing stock which is poorly insulated and will remain so for the foreseeable future they would make a killing. GSHP and ASHP are simply a non-starter for our house.

If someone can develop green technology that doesn't cost the world, doesn't require massive amounts of space to install and can heat the majority of UK housing stock which is poorly insulated and will remain so for the foreseeable future they would make a killing. GSHP and ASHP are simply a non-starter for our house.

Heat pumps are the answer - we just need to wait for the costs to come down, which they will.

Heat pumps are the answer - we just need to wait for the costs to come down, which they will.

From what I understand, your house has to be reasonably thermally sound or they simply can't keep up with the heat loss and you end up with a system that costs an absolute fortune to run and doesn't actually give you a warm house.

I have, they just say I'm on variable and I'll get billed. Except all my bills say I owe them x amount and we will take £0.

This should only be true if you have a balance sat there being consumed instead.

Bills should show usage data automatically if on smart meter, otherwise it could be estimates and you should submit actual ones.

This should only be true if you have a balance sat there being consumed instead.

Bills should show usage data automatically if on smart meter, otherwise it could be estimates and you should submit actual ones.
Got a smart meter so accurate usage generally get a bill on the 2nd of a month for the previous month. Account is sat at around -£850 at the minute.

Got a smart meter so accurate usage generally get a bill on the 2nd of a month for the previous month. Account is sat at around -£850 at the minute.

There is a balance history option in the account you should see that going down when the bills come in, mine does.

If you have a negative balance of -£850 to pay then re-raise it with them because it doesn't sound right via twitter dm.

There is a balance history option in the account you should see that going down when the bills come in, mine does.

If you have a negative balance of -£850 to pay then re-raise it with them because it doesn't sound right via twitter dm.
I've raised it each month the money hasn't gone out. I raised it again yesterday.
In my account history I have nothing but the charge for gas and electric, and the government £67.

You've actually hit on the issue - poorly insulated. Insulating our housing is the biggest thing we need right now.

As for the green technology, it is ASHP/GSHP. They'll take our domestic energy usage down to a third of what it is now.

You've actually hit on the issue - poorly insulated. Insulating our housing is the biggest thing we need right now.

As for the green technology, it is ASHP/GSHP. They'll take our domestic energy usage down to a third of what it is now.
You have to be very careful though older houses are by design breathable they don't like being sealed up.

I've raised it each month the money hasn't gone out. I raised it again yesterday.
In my account history I have nothing but the charge for gas and electric, and the government £67.

In the email I get with the bill (and maybe in the bill itself not sure) it says when my DD will be taken and for what amount, does yours say it will take it but then just doesn't?

Not much you can do needs to be sorted from the Octopus end of things.

You have to be very careful though older houses are by design breathable they don't like being sealed up.

Exactly. And having dealt with a number of roofers and trades over the past few years I have less than 0 faith that I won't get someone who does an awful job that costs a fortune, damages my house and requires a massive outlay to fix it. It would also devalue our house because we would either lose light and space inside along with having to redo skirting, architrave, radiators, window frames or we devalue it by losing the classic brick exterior along with various other downsides. The savings would take a very long time to make sense and thats without the cost of a GSHP or ASHP.

I know, but that's the issue, isn't it? We're going to have to pay dearly now for very old housing stock and poorly built/insulated stock up until a couple of decades ago. How else do we get away from gas if we can't fix the insulation?

In the email I get with the bill (and maybe in the bill itself not sure) it says when my DD will be taken and for what amount, does yours say it will take it but then just doesn't?

Not much you can do needs to be sorted from the Octopus end of things.
It's not the end of the world to be honest I have all the money sat earning interest so doesn't matter if they never fix it and I just pay when I change supplier.
See what they say this time, had no reply from yesterday yet.
Then I'll give it until next month and ask it to be escalated.

Back
Top Bottom