Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Agree on the housing alteration issues, I think getting gas demand down will have to come from phasing out gas powered electric generators in the mid term, get those nuclear and other renewable sources built. I have observed whenever wind generation picks up, gas gets cheaper most of the time.

We cant even do simpler things like ensuring every single home is double glazed never mind ripping out entire heating systems.

I assume the reason gas isnt delinked yet is resistance from within the industry.

It's all about insulation isn't it.

Our climate is fine.. If you have adequate insulation.

I totally understand moving to ASHP for new homes. Makes total sense. Or something electrical.

But for anything older.. Not even too much older.. You can't expect households to be able to pay for the upfront costs of making the home adequate.

The tech will move on. Or something better will come up. But it will be a while before we see ASHP as viable in older properties

The coal Germany uses is the worst kind, I never even seen that type and I dont want to. I guess its pure industrially burnt and the fumes run through particle filters but still not good. The Anthracite coal I got is from the Welsh valleys above Swansea, the purest coal there is and needed in steel making because it doesnt have all the sulfer others do its useful for strong steel. The Welsh gov of course said they would ban it, only thing stopping them is the rights to mine predate their mandate. Anthracite requires a lot of power to start burning as its 80% carbon or more not the oily type burn of house coal and its no good for steam trains I guess.

cheapest energy in Europe
Its always been possible just really not great energy management. 2030 is when I believe UK has a surplus, it could be so big it strengthens the currency and helps trade balance

Last edited:
It's all about insulation isn't it.

Our climate is fine.. If you have adequate insulation.

I totally understand moving to ASHP for new homes. Makes total sense. Or something electrical.

But for anything older.. Not even too much older.. You can't expect households to be able to pay for the upfront costs of making the home adequate.

The tech will move on. Or something better will come up. But it will be a while before we see ASHP as viable in older properties
Indeed, the difference between our gas boiler KwH graphs is startling, mine is a cash hoover, whilst you have shown gas central heating costs can be kept under control when the home is well insulated and have a modern boiler.

They were one of the few firms to secure imports of LNG from USA years ago. They invested so that was possible, got to consider profits against good actions taken previously & the headline meta isnt really the solution. I know someone doing a masters very intelligent, qualified who thinks if we just closed private firms down removed profits we'd solve poverty, that aint it.
Overall that firm is far smaller for losing customers to the current switching setup etc. I dont know the six year average profits for them but calling out 1 year ignoring prior losses is a worn old trick for headlines really

If I left all my storage heaters on, I'd be paying around £20 a day and that's just by 8am in the morning ;)
i have mine turned to the minimum settings, x2 bedrooms, utility room and downstairs toilet, seems to work ok for me
doors closed, to be fair my house is set to about 17deg and the lounge 20deg when at home
otherwise its just burning through gas for nothing
but i would not turn the rads off just down

Last edited:
Anyone else’s smart meters not reporting in? I haven’t had the last 3 days worth of gas usage sent in so it’s not showing in the Octopus app nor any other apps that can scrape the data.
My electricity meter has been extremely sporadic over the past three months. I’ve gone weeks at a time without it reporting in

Anyone else’s smart meters not reporting in? I haven’t had the last 3 days worth of gas usage sent in so it’s not showing in the Octopus app nor any other apps that can scrape the data.

I had this for approx 3-4 days delay with our SM gas readings into Scottish Power between Xmas and New Year but it caught up and is fine now.

Last edited:
Having enough load on the boiler also keeps it running more efficiently. If you reduce load by turning off radiators, then you might find the boiler starts to cycle more and drops efficiency. So you'd be using more gas for less heating.

Back
Top Bottom