Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I didn't think Agile was available for new customers but I see I was wrong. Waiting with great interest for answers to this.
/edit Found this:

Agile customers are able to check energy prices for the following day online and through the Octopus app at 4:30pm every day. This allows them to see when the cheapest windows will be the next day, giving them control over their consumption and a better idea of their daily spend. As a simple rule of thumb, because there is always a large peak between 4pm and 7pm, all Agile customers need to do is adjust their consumption away from that time to benefit overall from the tariff. While extreme price spikes are rare and short-lived, typically lasting 30 minutes to an hour, they do happen. To protect customers from this, Agile includes Price Cap Protect, ensuring customers never pay more than 35p per kWh.
Sauce: https://octoenergy-production-media.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/agile-report.pdf
It seems like a bit of a no-brainier if it’s capped at the EPC rate but can go lower. However, I think there may be a daily charge.

Got a 2 year fixed with Scottish Power (Help Beat Cancer Green Fixed December 2023 Ch2) the day after my suppler (Igloo) went bust - so lucky! :)
You did same as me. Green went bust and I got longest fix I could.

Slightly concerned about winter 2024-2025 when my fix ends as my December bill was
158gbp
280kwh elec
1500kwh gas

Last edited:
We where very lucky!
There's a thread somewhere on here where a few members and myself were debating if fix was good or not. This was all before putin. Seems so long ago now. But it really wasn't.

Need to look at options for 2024-25. Solar, insulation, new windows, new gas boiler, new house.

If prices are higher than now then.. Changes need making.

Last edited:
That will stay in negative for as long as it can. This year I am changing the way I look at finance. Everything is going on credit cards and 0% loan offers. I'm not spending any of my own money until I absolutely have to. Protection is the main reason.
So you’re going to get yourself further into debt? That makes no sense whatsoever

I used 23.94kWh on Saturday, mostly on washing, and running a split air con unit, induction hob, microwave, oven, kettle, 2 55" tellies, probably lots of other stuff too.

Yep so you used 24 kWh and did a load of things, still 6 kWh short and that's per day, you're probably not using 24 kWh every day of the month.

30 kWh is very high, would only make sense if you're extremely power hungry on things.

I used 23.94kWh on Saturday, mostly on washing, and running a split air con unit, induction hob, microwave, oven, kettle, 2 55" tellies, probably lots of other stuff too.

Yeah we can easily get to 15kwh if dishwasher, tumble and washing machine are on with the TV on for the evening. And we are a house of 2

Only takes one high power constant use machine to put it really high. Especially something like a hot tub

Last edited:
Only takes one high power constant use machine to put it really high. Especially something like a hot tub

Sure but most people won't have the luxury of running a hot tub now, but it's a likely culprit for this kind of usage pattern.

Will cost a few £ a day just to run a hot tub on cap pricing, and possibly even more soon!

Yep so you used 24 kWh and did a load of things, still 6 kWh short and that's per day, you're probably not using 24 kWh every day of the month.

30 kWh is very high, would only make sense if you're extremely power hungry on things.
back when I was bitcoin mining I would sometimes hit 30kwh in a day (usually between 20 and 25 however).

but that was with a 3090 and my mining rig was using about 10kwh a day.

having something like a hot tub uses heaps. I was in the market for one before energy prices went insane. probably won't get one now

Last edited:
back when I was bitcoin mining I would sometimes hit 30kwh in a day (usually between 20 and 25 however).

but that was with a 3090 and my mining rig was using about 10kwh a day.

having something like a hot tub uses heaps. I was in the market for one before energy prices went insane. probably won't get one now

Not even from discount hot tubs.com ? :D

I imagine hot tub sales are extremely poor in this climate!

Sure but most people won't have the luxury of running a hot tub now, but it's a likely culprit for this kind of usage pattern.

Will cost a few £ a day just to run a hot tub on cap pricing, and possibly even more soon!

Inherited one with the house. It was on for a month. Saw the quite ridiculous cost and turned it off.

Became a burden. Felt you had to go in because paying for it.
The cost was much higher than the manufacturers (no surprise ) quoted

And this was when units were cheap

Was going to sell it. And probably would have got something for it. But never got round to it. Now it's just taking up space in the garden

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom