Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Not true but if it makes a good story.

We as a company pay a much lower rate than the pump price via fuels cards. So profiteering is still quite clearly going on I think last time it was about 20p difference or something.

Moved to Octopus a few days ago and got put on their tracker earlier today. Previous prices were 10p/35p and currently showing as 7p/23p with basically identical standing charges.

I don't know why but I'm hesitating to do the same. I am with BG currently and on about 35/10. We are high energy users in our household. It seems like a no brainer but I feel like it will bite me and I am missing something. I saw the post up on HUKD and some things that are concerning me are:

1: The OP got banned (I think that was because he was doing some referral link
2: Apparently a website he was linking to about daily prices or tariff prices got banned by HUKD
3: General confusion and pessimists throughout the thread
4: Inability to get clear and easy to see daily tariff prices
5: Wondering if NOT having a smart meter could adversely affect price paid over a month as it averages it
6: The EPG discount/price cap stuff is the most confusing part of it all.
7: Whether other suppliers will come out with a competitive matching tracker tariff

It's a long thread and I only skim read it but currently I can't see why I shouldn't switch as you can always switch back to flexible if needed, which is still a fraction cheaper than BG.

Last edited:
Not true but if it makes a good story.

Is this not what you should be looking at.

It's a long thread and I only skim read it but currently I can't see why I shouldn't switch as you can always switch back to flexible if needed, which is still a fraction cheaper than BG.

Correct you can switch back to standard, the only negative is you need to keep an eye on prices a little.

Anyone joining Octopus should get a referral as you each get £50 free, but just grab one off a family member or friend if you have someone who is with them.

To be honest, Octopus seem to be a great supplier regardless of this tariff, they have the best online system I've used on them so far, and are the most progressive in time of use tariffs which is important as I have solar and battery storage.

Last edited:

Is this not what you should be looking at.
The retail price of fuel is not set by the oil giants. Generally they don't own the retail sites or control the prices they charge.

Last edited:
Yeah Octopus have tried to be a market disruptor for years, good service and innovative tariffs.
They also own some infrastructure for elec generation and its green.
I did leave them a few years back for better pricing and they did annoy me as they kept restating my bills, old non smart meters though.

Its going to be interesting how they move once they have bulb fully integrated. They will now be a really serious player with a large userbase.
I don't think the establishment energy companies will be able to ignore them any more and will be forced to get a bit more nimble in their thinking as well.

Its pretty rare to hear about people leaving Octopus once they have switched to them.

The retail price of fuel is not set by the oil giants. Generally they don't own the retail sites or control the prices they charge.
Isn’t that just a mechanism to isolate and separate the different parts of the supply chain. I mean shell does own petrol stations and im sure they must own the delivery side as some kind of subsidiary.

Correct you can switch back to standard, the only negative is you need to keep an eye on prices a little.

Anyone joining Octopus should get a referral as you each get £50 free, but just grab one off a family member or friend if you have someone who is with them.

To be honest, Octopus seem to be a great supplier regardless of this tariff, they have the best online system I've used on them so far, and are the most progressive in time of use tariffs which is important as I have solar and battery storage.
Sorry for the stupid question but when I click my friends referral link, it basically gives me a form to fill in and all, but doesn't say anything about the fact I am SWITCHING. It looks more like a "sign up from scratch" type form. I take it that they automatically sort out all the switching during the sign up?

Why are we paying for Shell executive's new yachts, just so we can heat our homes and drive to work?

It is outrageous. I genuinely think we need a general strike.

Isn’t that just a mechanism to isolate and separate the different parts of the supply chain. I mean shell does own petrol stations and im sure they must own the delivery side as some kind of subsidiary.
I just mean, you see a shell it doesn't mean they own it. Retailer margin is currently double on diesel vs petrol for seemingly no reason. Supermarkets used to lead the market down but they are holding prices right now.

Sorry for the stupid question but when I click my friends referral link, it basically gives me a form to fill in and all, but doesn't say anything about the fact I am SWITCHING. It looks more like a "sign up from scratch" type form. I take it that they automatically sort out all the switching during the sign up?

Went to sign up anyway and I get:

"
Looks like there was something wrong with your submission. Please check the following errors and try again.
  • property - This property is already registered with us"

Okaaay then. That went well. I'm with British Gas so not sure why the error.

I just mean, you see a shell it doesn't mean they own it. Retailer margin is currently double on diesel vs petrol for seemingly no reason. Supermarkets used to lead the market down but they are holding prices right now.
It’s a franchise though isn’t it? So Shell doesn’t want to earn money from the retail side? You can’t tell me the company that is earning more 4 others combined doesn’t have major influence over the retail side of its grossly profitable industry.

BP £1.70 for diesel which I’m certain we pay under £1.50 it may well be closer to £1.40 I’ll have to ask.

It needs to be a better regulated industry we just can’t have these announcements while people are being squeezed so hard. It’s nothing against profit or people having mansions and yachts but we really shouldn’t value greed it’s just disgusting.

Last edited:
It’s nothing against profit or people having mansions and yachts but we really shouldn’t value greed it’s just disgusting.

At the expense of people who need fuel to survive and live though?

I guarantee you that hundreds of millions of the extra we are all spending now will be going towards a load of greedy **** new playthings.

It’s a franchise though isn’t it? So Shell doesn’t want to earn money from the retail side? You can’t tell me the company that is earning more 4 others combined doesn’t have major influence over the retail side of its grossly profitable industry.
All I know is my parents owned several stations and you have an agreement with a brand to sell their fuel, they operated as Texaco and later BP over the years but they owned the stations, they set the fuel price and they took the retailer margin, not BP. The agreement with BP or shell or whatever was to buy their fuels from the refinery and the oil giant had no hand in setting the price they sold at on the forecourt once it was delivered from the refinery.

BP £1.70 for diesel which I’m certain we pay under £1.50 it may well be closer to £1.40 I’ll have to ask.

It needs to be a better regulated industry we just can’t have these announcements while people are being squeezed so hard. It’s nothing against profit or people having mansions and yachts but we really shouldn’t value greed it’s just disgusting.
Like I said, retailers are taking an extra 10p on diesel for whatever reason, if the margin was the same as petrol the price would fall about 12p. Wholesale diesel price was 114p on that link above, with VAT added that becomes 137p without any retailer margin or delivery of the fuel so buying at £1.40 wouldn't be feasible at the forecourt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom