Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

exactly - All the Shell profits are open to windfall taxes if the countries where they extracted the energy institute them,
judicious trading arm profits are less taxable, but OK those are similar to people/organizations who locked in long term supplies

I don't know why but I'm hesitating to do the same. I am with BG currently and on about 35/10. We are high energy users in our household. It seems like a no brainer but I feel like it will bite me and I am missing something. I saw the post up on HUKD and some things that are concerning me are:

1: The OP got banned (I think that was because he was doing some referral link
2: Apparently a website he was linking to about daily prices or tariff prices got banned by HUKD
3: General confusion and pessimists throughout the thread
4: Inability to get clear and easy to see daily tariff prices
5: Wondering if NOT having a smart meter could adversely affect price paid over a month as it averages it
6: The EPG discount/price cap stuff is the most confusing part of it all.
7: Whether other suppliers will come out with a competitive matching tracker tariff

It's a long thread and I only skim read it but currently I can't see why I shouldn't switch as you can always switch back to flexible if needed, which is still a fraction cheaper than BG.
In short the tracker cap's are discounted the equivalent of the unit rate discount on SVR.

However it is the cap that is discounted not the live unit rate. So e.g. tracker of 100p cap is probably closer to about 83p cap. If you have a old tracker with low cap, the EPG discount can not take it below the EPG level so e.g. my Agile only dropped from 35p to 33.02p to match the EPG unit rate for my region.

Okaaay then. That went well. I'm with British Gas so not sure why the error.

Give them a call and say that the site isn't working. They should be able to do it for you. I had a similar issue yesterday. Called them up and said that the sign up wasn't working and they just did it over the phone.

Probably already posted here, but just saw the article from the times where debt collectors break into the houses of vulnerable people to install prepayment meters on behalf of British Gas. Wow. What an absolute disgrace this country has become.

Probably already posted here, but just saw the article from the times where debt collectors break into the houses of vulnerable people to install prepayment meters on behalf of British Gas. Wow. What an absolute disgrace this country has become.

All over GBNEWS too... I've actually seen cam footage last year of two British Gas agents smashing into someones flat, putting in a prepayment meter while the owner was away.

IT WAS THE WRONG BLOODY FLAT!

Last edited:
All over GBNEWS too... I've actually seen cam footage last year of two British Gas agents smashing into someones flat, putting in a prepayment meter while the owner was away.

IT WAS THE WRONG BLOODY FLAT!
i actually wish that would happen to me.... i imagine i could sue them for a fair amount............ on top of that the wife hates our front door and has been badgering me to replace for years.

in all seriousness that is disgraceful and illegal. how do they get away with it?

To be honest, Octopus seem to be a great supplier regardless of this tariff
Ofgen gave octopus and other suppliers the right to disable swapping into their tarifs (market controls)
.. if Octopus deliver on their updated smets2 CAD device so you can see ongoing real time data for gas/electric I'll sign up (could clearly see oven use and boiler modulation)

profits Norway and its wealth fund / gaas have done well mostly

The single biggest stock market loss came from the fund's stake in Amazon (AMZN.O), which declined in value by 56 billion crowns, followed by a loss in shares of Facebook owner Meta Platforms (META.O) of 52 billion and in Tesla (TSLA.O) with 47 billion.

Still, despite the record loss, the value of the fund rose overall by 89 billion crowns or $8.9 billion year-on-year, partly due to the weak Norwegian currency and a record 1.1 trillion crowns of cash inflows.
The single biggest stock market loss came from the fund's stake in Amazon (AMZN.O), which declined in value by 56 billion crowns, followed by a loss in shares of Facebook owner Meta Platforms (META.O) of 52 billion and in Tesla (TSLA.O) with 47 billion.

Ofgen gave octopus and other suppliers the right to disable swapping into their tarifs (market controls)
.. if Octopus deliver on their updated smets2 CAD device so you can see ongoing real time data for gas/electric I'll sign up (could clearly see oven use and boiler modulation)

profits Norway and its wealth fund / gaas have done well mostly

Still, despite the record loss, the value of the fund rose overall by 89 billion crowns or $8.9 billion year-on-year, partly due to the weak Norwegian currency and a record 1.1 trillion crowns of cash inflows.

You talking about the Octopus mini?
I've got one being delivered, had notification just waiting for it to plop onto the door mat
I signed up ages ago for one

Wont help much as its linked to meter and solar means meter only sees part of the activity unfortunately

What? Arent Shell the ones selling us the fuel?

If they have made double profits and the biggest profits in 115 years, doesn't that tell you something?

Seriously, they made record profits in the height of the problem, their forecourts are the most expensive in the UK

They didn't pass on the reduction they just creamed us and they're not the problem, how naive are you?.

They sell the fuel (gas) at market set prices - Shell aren't determining this.

BTW - talking about gas here, not petrol/diesel - it's an energy price thread, not fuel prices !

Last edited:
They sell the fuel (gas) at market set prices - Shell aren't determining this.

BTW - talking about gas here, not petrol/diesel - it's an energy price thread, not fuel prices !
No one’s claiming it’s illegal it’s just grossly disgusting during current times. It’s a shame but it’s been accepted now it’s largely a I’m alright Jack attitude, until it isn’t.

Back
Top Bottom