Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

What the heck is with the pricing on solar stuff in this country?!

How does adding 10 panels add £6.5k to the price? They should be no more than £200 each... (yeah maybe you need an MPPT as well). Then additional panels £500 each up till the point you have bought 6, then suddenly the battery is doubled? Battery is far and away the most expensive portion of a system (assuming you get a decent one). What am I missing? This all seems completely wonky with an unreasonable loading on the price of the panels.

Pfft. That's not happening any time soon!
10k outlay? Got to be a forever home!

ROI time must be insane

Last edited:
Well, God Bless Scottish Power. Said no-one ever. They're not participating in the energy usage reduction thing.

Plus, tonight, I submitted my meter readings. Went from £144 in credit to £11 in debit. Barstewards :(

What the heck is with the pricing on solar stuff in this country?!
jesus!

glad I did mine when I did in July 2021 (15 panels over both sides of the roof (should have been 17, am a bit dissapointed there 10 panels on east roof 5 on west), 5kw inverter and 7.2kwh battery (3x2.4kwh) with bird.proofing (most expensive chicken wire I ever bought at £500)
panels are ok but not the best... iirc each one is 360w but am happy with the system.

The whole job was £8300 and the after sales support from greenscape energy was very good

this was part of a solar together scheme

Last edited:
I have vague memories that this went bad previously but shouldn't we be subsidising the life out of this?

Like if we had mass generation from rooftops/small turbines etc we take away a lot of the risk from wholesale energy prices and create a load of jobs in the meantime?

I have vague memories that this went bad previously but shouldn't we be subsidising the life out of this?

Like if we had mass generation from rooftops/small turbines etc we take away a lot of the risk from wholesale energy prices and create a load of jobs in the meantime?

TBH even at current prices solar + batteries don't need subsidising.
We should consider interest free loans maybe.

Turbines arent there yet, I would say 10 years or so off. The planning is a bit lol and needs reviewing and fixing (like heat pumps)
The planning around them is out of date basically.

California analysis suggested tax payer are better to subsidise commercial intallations of PV with economy of scale costs/maintenance, and reliable grid injection.
lots of domestic generation can produce erratic demand on the grid too, and Ca are considering charging a premium for those that make such calls on the grid.

with new UK onshore wind proposals having a turbine for the local community you pay towards, or commercial where you get reduced energy prices, for the environmental impact it might introduce, also efficient.

TBH even at current prices solar + batteries don't need subsidising.
We should consider interest free loans maybe.

Turbines arent there yet, I would say 10 years or so off. The planning is a bit lol and needs reviewing and fixing (like heat pumps)
The planning around them is out of date basically.

I personally could afford it with a loan. But I still wouldn't. Its still too much as its unclear if its detrimental to house price.
I know people have said you can move it. But I still don't think it's a good idea financially unless it's a very long term (10+ years) home. This is because I don't plan to live here more than couple years more.

This probably makes starter homes (where this would be really helpful) unlikely to make significant progress here.

But if there was an interest free loan and it was a long term house? Yes I would take it.

Last edited:
Whatever became of those tesla solar tiles/comparable products?

I suppose I can see why solar could put some people off/drop some prices but for me it would be a major draw on the next house. The issue I have with it now is I have no intention of staying here much longer than another couple of years so it's absolutely not worth the expense or bother.

I have a mate who is unbearable with it sending me pics of how he's made money on nice days despite having 2 electric cars, air con in his house etc etc

I personally could afford it with a loan. But I still wouldn't. Its still too much as its unclear if its detrimental to house price.
I know people have said you can move it. But I still don't think it's a good idea financially unless it's a very long term (10+ years) home. This is because I don't plan to live here more than couple years more.

This probably makes starter homes (where this would be really helpful) unlikely to make significant progress here.

But if there was an interest free loan and it was a long term house? Yes I would take it.

I'm really not convinced at all as to why solar and or batteries would be detrimental to house prices.
Yes I get the ones where you in effect rented out your roof to a third party.

I cannot get my head round anyone sane would have an issue with owned solar.
Sure if energy prices plunge I can see the added value being low, but the demand now for solar clearly shows that far more people are open to it.
If I had a choice to buy two identical houses, one with a solar setup that would save me £1000+ a year vs one with nothing I would be working out how much extra to offer for the one with solar not how much discount I would be asking for.

Last edited:
Whatever became of those tesla solar tiles/comparable products?

I suppose I can see why solar could put some people off/drop some prices but for me it would be a major draw on the next house. The issue I have with it now is I have no intention of staying here much longer than another couple of years so it's absolutely not worth the expense or bother.

I have a mate who is unbearable with it sending me pics of how he's made money on nice days despite having 2 electric cars, air con in his house etc etc

Its a bit addictive to be honest
What am I generating, how much am I saving etc

I'm really not convinced at all as to why solar and or batteries would be detrimental to house prices.

Sure if energy prices plunge I can see the added value being low, but the demand now for solar clearly shows that far more people are open to it.
If I had a choice to buy two identical houses, one with a solar setup that would save me £1000+ a year vs one with nothing I would be working out how much extra to offer for the one with solar not how much discount I would be asking for.

I think its more.. Does it make any difference? I guess it's hard to know. House prices are more of an art than a science. But I doubt if you installed today and sold tomorrow you could bump the price up 10k? Maybe you could.

Simply not enough data to know. And no way I'd want to gift 10k to someone random.

Is agree, if you had 2 identical houses and solar was a decent job you'd pick the solar one. But I no idea how that plays out in reality

Last edited:

Over the next 10 years with the phase-out of ICE cars, I'd suggest having solar is going to be even more of a selling point.

Free "fuel" for your car without having to pay the upfront costs of solar? That would sway my opinion over a property too.

I think its more.. Does it make any difference? I guess it's hard to know. House prices are more of an art than a science. But I doubt if you installed today and sold tomorrow you could bump the price up 10k? Maybe you could.

Simply not enough data to know. And no way I'd want to gift 10k to someone random.

Is agree, if you had 2 identical houses and solar was a decent job you'd pick the solar one. But I no idea how that plays out in reality

But who is going to install solar and move the day after?

I mean if your staying somewhere less than 2 years (say) its probably not worth it. Its not the solar specifically, but the balance of what you install vs the options, eg
- Islanding, so you can off grid?
- Batteries, what kwh
- Panels, how many what orientations
- Diverter,
etc

There is quite a lot of spec that will be influenced by your demand as opposed to there being a specific optimum.

If you speccing your own then you can strike your perfect balance (for you) where as if someone else has done it its quite likely not exactly aligned with what you would have selected.
Thats IMO more likely the issue than if its there or not.

Its always going to be relatively expensive to modify if its panels. Batteries maybe, maybe not, depends what you want and what they did.

Free "fuel" for your car without having to pay the upfront costs of solar? That would sway my opinion over a property too.

From March to September, I typically get about 150 miles a week of 'free' solar miles going into my EV :)
My solar divert priority is 1: battery, 2: Hot Water, 3: EV and 4: Export

Last edited:
But who is going to install solar and move the day after?

I mean if your staying somewhere less than 2 years (say) its probably not worth it. Its not the solar specifically, but the balance of what you install vs the options, eg
- Islanding, so you can off grid?
- Batteries, what kwh
- Panels, how many what orientations
- Diverter,
etc

There is quite a lot of spec that will be influenced by your demand as opposed to there being a specific optimum.

If you speccing your own then you can strike your perfect balance (for you) where as if someone else has done it its quite likely not exactly aligned with what you would have selected.
Thats IMO more likely the issue than if its there or not.

Its always going to be relatively expensive to modify if its panels. Batteries maybe, maybe not, depends what you want and what they did.

This house would be bad for solar. With the overhanging trees and really awkward roof space I don't think you'd get many panels on it.

To me it's a 2.5 bed house. But the roof placement and trees make it solar unfriendly.

Looks like it's potentially the battery that isn't worth it. But very much use case dependant.

We have the advantage of not needing a battery. Which seems to double the cost, and it needs replacing.

(actually didn't think about that before, we don't need a battery at all, which slices the cost by half?)

Last edited:
This house would be bad for solar. With the overhanging trees and really awkward roof space I don't think you'd get many panels on it.

To me it's a 2.5 bed house. But the roof placement and trees make it solar unfriendly.

Looks like it's potentially the battery that isn't worth it. But very much use case dependant.

We have the advantage of not needing a battery. Which seems to double the cost, and it needs replacing.

(actually didn't think about that before, we don't need a battery at all, which slices the cost by half?)

Hard to say specifically but yeah batteries are around half typically if the system is pretty balanced

Back
Top Bottom