Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

For some reason they've got issues with gas readings from when I switched last year. As I said octopus refunded the £500 I had within days.
if a company won't refund you on request, afaik the meter is their property and their responsibility, and as such there should be a law that means they have to pay interest on any positive balance they hold (shoe on other foot however if you take this then you would also pay the same interest with any negative balance).
I personally don't mind a £300 buffer on my account however that is about as high as I go and it is at my pleasure. IF I needed it back I would expect it back on request.

Last edited:
I did get a quote to switch to Octopus on the basis of how awful OVO have been:

Gas standing - 26.84
Electric standing - 41.62

Gas kwh - 10.33
Electric kwh - 33.33

Vs current rates with OVO:

Gas standing - 27.12
Electric standing - 41.20

Gas kwh - 9.83
Electric kWh - 31.74

So a bit more expensive with Octopus and I get the 5% interest reward with OVO ironically on credit balances.

I may still switch given they’ve lost all sense in the way they deal with customers

Stop making the overpayments and you’ll probably not be building up the excess credit.

I made one top up payment for December as:

1. Was very cold
2. We had our front door repaired over the very cold period so the house was open several hours a day for a week sorting
3. Christmas generally at home a lot
4. We had family all to us so lots of heating + cooking

I saw we weee over so made a £100 top up payment on top of the DD and end of month finished £13 in credit. Explained this to OVO and they were not bothered and said they could only go off actual usage from meter and then average that out for the next year + 10% buffer.

That’s how they calculate your DD irrespective of whether you stay in credit. That’s my problem with this because I will now end up in significant credit over summer sitting in their account and not mine

I made one top up payment for December as:

1. Was very cold
2. We had our front door repaired over the very cold period so the house was open several hours a day for a week sorting
3. Christmas generally at home a lot
4. We had family all to us so lots of heating + cooking

I saw we weee over so made a £100 top up payment on top of the DD and end of month finished £13 in credit. Explained this to OVO and they were not bothered and said they could only go off actual usage from meter and then average that out for the next year + 10% buffer.

That’s how they calculate your DD irrespective of whether you stay in credit. That’s my problem with this because I will now end up in significant credit over summer sitting in their account and not mine

That still makes no sense. The whole point of a fixed DD is that it does not cover your winter usage. That’s why you pay more than you use in the summer.

My DD only covers a part of my winter use, I wouldn’t dream of toping it up. I dipped into debit this month, that’s totally fine. Come March/April, my payment and usage will back at break even and credit will build over the summer for next winter.

should usage on British Gas app match what I am billed for?

I’ve tried giving British Gas the figures shown on app for the latest billing period and bill is basically more than app is showing by around £140 (over 137 days period)

I’ve tried adding previous bills and compared to app usage and they are usually within a few pence.

I’ve been using the messaging service within app as don’t want to rack up large phone bill dealing with their mistakes and they are useless.

My remote smart meters buttons no longer work and they won’t replace it (was installed 2017) so their online app was only way I could track spending and now they seem to be saying app figures are estimated and the final bill is correct.

Last edited:
“Heated wallpaper” anyone?

It’s still only a 1:1 so it will still cost £lol to run at current electricity prices.

I’m surprised air to air heat pumps (air conditioning) are not getting more love. They are car cheaper to install than air to water and they can be more efficient. The downside is the box on the wall but they can cool which is a massive advantage.

It’s still only a 1:1 so it will still cost £lol to run at current electricity prices.

I’m surprised air to air heat pumps (air conditioning) are not getting more love. They are car cheaper to install than air to water and they can be more efficient. The downside is the box on the wall but they can cool which is a massive advantage.
That’s the route I’m going down. Had one as the sole source of heat in our living room for the last 4 years and it’s been great.

Looking to get one fitted in 2 of our bedrooms this year, hopefully before the great aircon rush.

They're mentioned in the article, for that reason.

I'm assuming with this wallpaper if you accidentally put a hole in it it's broken?

Back
Top Bottom