Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

The main draw for me with octopus was their SEG payments - also they seem to be quite innovative and tech-centred which is pretty cool. I can use their API with my solar kit to help manage my electricity / generation usage.

Looking like Octopus could be good.

Question - I work home 5 days a week, wife 2 days. our 2022 Elec usage was 5700Kwh. That seems excessive. Thoughts?

Yes, that does seem excessive unless you have an EV or a hot tub (or electric heating / electric showers)

Wife and I both work from home, 2 kids under 10 and our annual usage is 3000kWh

Octopus will become the biggest supplier at this rate.

Whenever anyone asks who they should go with I suggest octopus. They seem like the only proactive supplier.

Octopus will become the biggest supplier at this rate.

Whenever anyone asks who they should go with I suggest octopus. They seem like the only proactive supplier.

They do seem to be putting effort into shaking up the industry - even their export tariff whilst it may be a loss leader, is also super competitive.

They're also spending time doing techy/innovative stuff with their users and now also looking into providing PV/Battery systems etc....

Interesting impact
they had said drax coal units were in reserve (govt payed them to extend planned life) but not how much surplus capacity we had with gas generation/other,
so, still think, it was a rather empty comment on the shifted demand benefits.

I tried to take part and British Gas are only offering it to a small selection of invite-only customers.

anyone could take part V
£3/kwh energy saving sessions seemingly open to anyone irrespective of supplier via https://www.powerrewards.app/
you install their app and authorises them to get your DCC smart data, doesn't seem to elaborate on the saving algorithm they apply.

I plan to move to Octopus but going to wait until the Government help scheme has ended. I'm pretty sure BG would manage to screw up the £67 discount if I tried to move before that ends.

According to what I've seen whichever supplier you are with on 1st of the month will pay you.

I.e. now should be a good time to switch as it won't get confused you'll be with them long before next month rolls around.

Last edited:
Looking at the historical data for the NW it seems like an easy choice to switch to Octopus, more than happy to ditch BG....

Take it the "Flexible Octopus" tariff is the tracker everyone is moving to?

This site shows the recent tracker prices for my region (south) just change to yours. Shows both gas and electric.

Don't use the referral on the site though, get one from a friend or family member if you shift over.

So I'd emailed octopus on Monday or Tuesday about moving to gas tracker... no response, nothing.
Posted a tweet at them, 9 minutes later I was on tracker. :D
Yep, its strange companies give more focus to social media support now. Might be a PR thing, someone who tweets you is a risk they will publicly tweet a lack of response.

Back
Top Bottom