Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Just getting a quick online quote from Octop, and they are only offering flexible?

When you join Octopus every one has to go on the Flex tariff, when they confirm they are receiving 30 min readings from your meter, you can then switch to one of their other tariffs.
If all goes well, couple of weeks

For myself, joined on the 11th on the flex tariff, 21st of the same month I switched onto the Go tariff.

Last edited:
Just getting a quick online quote from Octop, and they are only offering flexible?

As per above. right now you dont want a specific fix anyway, they will be above the gov cap.
You want to be flexible (no lock ins on Octopus) and check the end of Feb (when Apr-Jun cap is announced) and then again late May when July-Sept is announced

A lot depends on your appetite for risk, usage profile etc but the octopus tracker tariffs for gas and elec are really good right now (although some reports they are limiting signups)
Other good elec tariffs on Octopus are Agile (half hourly variable cost), Go (cheap overnight Ev based scheme), and flexible Eco7
But a lot depends on your usage profile as to whether any of them specifically make sense to you

unfortunately not what we thought from the other day

Seems like a relaunch of Agile, except with restrictions, I think Agile was intended to be for these customers, and they were never happy with the amount who signed up without batteries/solar etc.

Octopus Tracker has been limited to 50 switchers per day now, with a current waiting list of 6 months!
Wow, so its not really flexible in leaving and rejoining when market improves. Octopus on one hand want to modernise,. on the other they seem to not like too much attention on these tariffs. Also means when my Agile ends I might be forced on to a legacy tariff for 6 months. :( I guess approx 9000 having to wait then. In the grand scheme of things it isnt that much people.

Last edited:
Seems like a relaunch of Agile, except with restrictions, I think Agile was intended to be for these customers, and they were never happy with the amount who signed up without batteries/solar etc.

No

Agile was for those most able to switch usage, it happened to suit some sectors but has been around a while. Its a full fat TOU tariff.
Their tracker is like Agile lite in effect.

This is different it has fixed pricing and TOU but very rigid. Its also got significantly higher outgoing.
So the pricing is matched to the typical grid pricing but its disconnected from a daily view like Agile would be.
Agile was typically cheaper at weekends vs week.

No

Agile was for those most able to switch usage, it happened to suit some sectors but has been around a while. Its a full fat TOU tariff.
Their tracker is like Agile lite in effect.

This is different it has fixed pricing and TOU but very rigid. Its also got significantly higher outgoing.
So the pricing is matched to the typical grid pricing but its disconnected from a daily view like Agile would be.
Agile was typically cheaper at weekends vs week.
Well the agile page had lots of suitable for solar panels, battery etc, exporting, all the same key words. I even had an Octopus staff member on phone refuse to switch me on phone insisting I needed panels. I dont see much difference in flux its also import/export and time of day based. But yeah you right, its got no tracking element, so closer to GO than Agile.

Last edited:
Well the agile page had lots of suitable for solar panels, battery etc, exporting, all the same key words. I even had an Octopus staff member on phone refuse to switch me on phone insisting I needed panels. I dont see much difference in flux its also import/export and time of day based. But yeah you right, its got no tracking element, so closer to GO than Agile.

Thing is those of us with solar/batteries we all have different use cases and its certainly possible that agile may suit some.
Generation and storage hive differing levels and generation levels and times.

Agile would be one I would consider (if I moved onto Flux for the summer), as would eco 7 etc assuming I couldnt go onto Go for the winter months.
Flux isn't that great for the winter (when practically no one would export anyway) when compared to go for example.
Go more cheap hours at lower cost, no peak hours, just similar day rate. Export rate sux but you wouldn't be doing hardly any anyway.

Really Flux needs a seasonal element as well. Like a longer low cost window for the winter or something, else most people are simply going to move off it then and rejoin later.
(Or they are going to have to limit people joining/leaving and risk making it an even more niche scheme anyway)

I honestly don't get it anymore, we were on top of things reporting our readings every month and generating credit.
We had cleared previous arrears and finally were paying for what we used.

We reported our readings this month and its like EON the criminal trash that they are arbitrarily just decide to do what they want with your bills.

We went from positive £225 in credit down to -£266, our usage does not account for this and I am sick and tired of these ******* useless ******* ***** robbing us blind, what in the actual ****. I am absolutely sick of chasing them up to fix this ******* ********.

Last edited:
I honestly don't get it anymore, we were on top of things reporting our readings every month and generating credit.

We reported our readings this month and its like EON the criminal trash that they are arbitrarily just decide to do what they want with your bills.

We went from positive £225 in credit down to -£266, our usage does not account for this and I am sick and tired of these ******* useless ******* ***** robbing us blind, what in the actual ****. I am absolutely sick of chasing them up to fix this ******* ********.

It's been a while since I did it your way, but when you submit the readings it re-calculates the billing.

Do you have a copy of your meter reading submissions? That's quite an extreme usage for a month.

Your last bill should say something like Bill date X - Y with Y being when you last submitted them, and it should point out if it's estimated or based on a read value.

You should be able to work out why it's so high using your previous read and the new ones, new ones - old ones and work out how many units it's charging you for.

Hopefully you can see your historical submitted meter readings, and try to draw a picture from them.

As Hippo suggested it indicates high usage for the last reported reading, maybe double check to see if there was a typo or mistake reading it from your meter. If there is a noticeable mismatch, then they should fix for you when you report it.

It's been a while since I did it your way, but when you submit the readings it re-calculates the billing.

Do you have a copy of your meter reading submissions? That's quite an extreme usage for a month.

Your last bill should say something like Bill date X - Y with Y being when you last submitted them, and it should point out if it's estimated or based on a read value.

You should be able to work out why it's so high using your previous read and the new ones, new ones - old ones and work out how many units it's charging you for.
I will go over that tonight and make sure.

Thanks for the advice hopefully il be able to sort it out tomorrow.

Hopefully you can see your historical submitted meter readings, and try to draw a picture from them.

As Hippo suggested it indicates high usage for the last reported reading, maybe double check to see if there was a typo or mistake reading it from your meter. If there is a noticeable mismatch, then they should fix for you when you report it.
Thank you, I will double check everything tonight. I was just so angry because it’s been hell sorting everything out the last few months.

:(

So switched from Bulb to Octopus two days ago and signed up for the Tracker tariff (before they changed the terms to MUST have a smart meter), and I've got a question I wonder if any of you can answer. If I don't have a smart meter, how can the savings from day to day work on my single submission a month?

For example, if the price per kWh is 25p today and 30p tomorrow, and I decide to use more power today (do the tumble drying etc) and then don't use a lot of power tomorrow (i.e out for the whole day), Octopus won't know that I've used, say, 20 units today and 3 units tomorrow?

I've signed up for the smart meter waiting list, but just wondering if my understanding is correct.

So switched from Bulb to Octopus two days ago and signed up for the Tracker tariff (before they changed the terms to MUST have a smart meter), and I've got a question I wonder if any of you can answer. If I don't have a smart meter, how can the savings from day to day work on my single submission a month?

For example, if the price per kWh is 25p today and 30p tomorrow, and I decide to use more power today (do the tumble drying etc) and then don't use a lot of power tomorrow (i.e out for the whole day), Octopus won't know that I've used, say, 20 units today and 3 units tomorrow?

I've signed up for the smart meter waiting list, but just wondering if my understanding is correct.

You have to submit a reading once per month, you then get a blended average cost. It just treats your delta reads like they happen evenly across all the days of the month.

You got in the nick of time, now got that massive waiting list. :)

Get smart meters....

Back
Top Bottom