Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Aaa thanks. And from then will they move me to a different tariff?do I request to move to a different tariff? Also do they supply smart meters?

They will do the smart meters if you want them yes, but there aren't a lot of tariff options to move to yet, the prediction is more will become available a bit later into the year.

The main benefit of switching now is that you go onto a better provider than BG or EDF, even if you don't really save money on unit rates today.

Secondary benefit is the £50 bill credit you get for using the referral (takes about a month or so after sign up).

Thirdly you can ask nicely if they'd shift you onto one of the trackers, which are cheaper, but they do seem to have made it harder lately.

If you're paying a good rate currently on a fix I would not move today. But if you're stuck on SVR there isn't really a reason to stay on BG as I think Octopus will have the best options for you.

^
Also, if there's a price war down the line, then i bet good money it'll start with Octopus rather than anyone else. I'm so happy i just switched too
I don't know tbh, they have never been the cheapest supplier although that may have changed since all these small companies failed but they weren't really anything better than other large companies prices.

The difference was proper customer service, modern ap and online information before others and the 100% green tariffs weren't much more than standard.

I don't know tbh, they have never been the cheapest supplier although that may have changed since all these small companies failed but they weren't really anything better than other large companies prices.

The difference was proper customer service, modern ap and online information before others and the 100% green tariffs weren't much more than standard.

You can bet they'd lower their prices faster that EDF or British Gas that's for sure

100% Green is a myth.
Yes indeed and technically the Octopus supergreen tariff is also a myth in that it technically offset all customer gas with that tariff which is why it cost more than only their general 100% renewable electric only tariff options. It also isn't of course effective in total as discussed about offsetting previous but it was better than doing nothing when possible. It isn't perfect but a step in the right direction and was happy to pay the additional with them investing into longer term green projects and such.

Last edited:
Offsetting is a bit of a nonsense as well, the carbon is still emitted. A lot of offsets are a promise not to emit or planting a tree, neither actually take the carbon back out of the atmosphere.

We are losing more trees than we are gaining so things like planting trees to offset carbon is a nonsense really. The tree will probably end up being burnt anyway if it’s part of a mange’s Forrest so it was never an offset to begin with.

Offsetting is a bit of a nonsense as well, the carbon is still emitted. A lot of offsets are a promise not to emit or planting a tree, neither actually take the carbon back out of the atmosphere.

We are losing more trees than we are gaining so things like planting trees to offset carbon is a nonsense really. The tree will probably end up being burnt anyway if it’s part of a mange’s Forrest so it was never an offset to begin with.

Yeah I expect all this offsetting will be looked back upon in disgust when the world is burning. And the politicians of the time will blame the previous. And the world will carry on burning.

this is an impressive looking turbine blade. could do with some of those on our higher land

ignorant comment warning tho. is that really the best way to get them up there? what is the max load weight of say a Chinook chopper, could 2 of them not airlift them? (or is the air to thin at that altitude? )

Last edited:
It's a shame we can't opt out for this £400 support. I mean I'm not trying to make a subtle show off here, genuinely, I think people who don't need it should have the option to give it back or not take it so that it can be sent to people who need it more than us - or at least create less debt in the economy. I'm perhaps alone here, I personally don't like handouts if I don't need them.

It's a shame we can't opt out for this £400 support. I mean I'm not trying to make a subtle show off here, genuinely, I think people who don't need it should have the option to give it back or not take it so that it can be sent to people who need it more than us - or at least create less debt in the economy. I'm perhaps alone here, I personally don't like handouts if I don't need them.
Take it down you local food bank. They can have PAYG Cards for poeple who need them.

Take it down you local food bank. They can have PAYG Cards for poeple who need them.

I have already planned on giving it to charity - but that's a sensible suggestion.

However, my point is a lot of people who can afford it will just receive it and just forget about it. If you didn't receive it in the first place it would be able to put to better use at source without creating unnecessary work.

Back
Top Bottom