Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Is electricity really going up to 52p? And why is not anyone freaking out about this?

You can cut gas usage to minimum but you can't live without electricity. Is Octopus tracker tariff the only way to escape this hike?

Is electricity really going up to 52p? And why is not anyone freaking out about this?

You can cut gas usage to minimum but you can't live without electricity. Is Octopus tracker tariff the only way to escape this hike?

Yep for Q2 thats it.
Q3 and 4 expected to fall

Various people claim a long lag to get onto the trackers so you would need to call.
Whether they will give a consistently notable reduction though is far from guaranteed.

Edit : Oh hold on though thats pre cap.

Post cap (moving to £3k) is going to be around 46-47p I assume. not seen that mentioned yet.

Edit 2, actually might not be quite that much.
Its a 20% rise so that would infer 34p to 41p
I dont think the government have the split however but assuming the £3k is imposed by a simple uplift from £2.5k then its probably 41-42p range

Last edited:
Octopus have been a delight to deal with compared to BG. When I moved house I had to take over the account for the property and it was BG. They wouldn’t even honour the price cap and couldn’t explain why their unit price was above it. As I had an EV coming soon anyway it didn’t matter as I was switching to Octopus. They have been perfect.

Great to hear. All seems to have gone well, they've adopted my smart meter this morning and the supplier and rate info on the IHD appears correct. Whole process seems to have been very quick and seamless.

I dont think the government have the split however but assuming the £3k is imposed by a simple uplift from £2.5k then its probably 41-42p range
jesus... not looking forward to that.

middle of april i am coming out of my 15p kw/h 25p SC per day fix (with 5.5p kwh between 8:30pm - 1:30am) so i will be in the mire then with everyone else. i have managed to dodge the mess so far (but still being doing my absolute best to minimise my use............)

middle of april i am coming out of my 15p kw/h 25p SC per day fix (with 5.5p kwh between 8:30pm - 1:30am) so i will be in the mire then with everyone else. i have managed to dodge the mess so far (but still being doing my absolute best to minimise my use............)

You have solar and batteries though right? In that case Go/Flux/any eco 7 are likely to limit your impact somewhat
I guess its too late to switch now as they will pricing this in in effect.

You have solar and batteries though right? In that case Go/Flux/any eco 7 are likely to limit your impact somewhat
I guess its too late to switch now as they will pricing this in in effect.
yeah i likely wont feel the real force of it until october...... (my 2 year gas fix ends early November so that will have a wacking big increase too)

Am on Go Faster at the moment but not sure that is still a thing. certianly my 8:30 start time slot - which has been v useful - is no longer offered.

Last edited:
yeah i likely wont feel the real force of it until october...... (my 2 year gas fix ends early November so that will have a wacking big increase too)

Am on Go Faster at the moment but not sure that is still a thing. certianly my 8:30 start time slot - which has been v useful - is no longer offered.

Oh from what i hear its still an option on renewal but its likely to go to 12p/44p if your on the 4 hour slot
if 5 i think its about 14/48p but havent seen anyone specifically confirm

By October its expected to fall to somewhere around the 30p a unit type range on elec. Lower than we are now, but not by much
Its too far out though tbh can easily change that far away

Moved into a new home on the 2nd Feb, switched over to Octopus on the 14th and went straight onto the tracker. First bill is today (although the site has not updated yet) worked it out manually and I've used around £20 of electric and £7 of gas in half a month based on Octopus Tracker rates. Temperature of the house hovers around 14c (around 5-6c outside), its not been sunny at all so no warmth from the windows getting in. Put on the heating sparenly in the living room to get up to 18c which takes about an hour on the odd occaasion. However 14c is warm enough for myself, doesn't really bother me.

Only issue I have is that the electric is a non-adopted Smets1 meter and the gas is a non-smart. Taking them forever to get a SM appoinmtnet arranged for me.

Last edited:
Yeah, Octopus has already booked in my smart meter upgrades for 2 weeks time. Which was what I was chasing EDF to do for almost a year but never could get an appointment. I've only been with them less than a week. Already a good impression

When I did the calc in my speadsheet before taking the £0.33730 figure for electric unit and just going at 20% uplift since that what the £2500 to £3000 is then it would put the new electric unit rate to £0.40476

For me my electric is going from £44 to £57 then (ignoring the £67 was getting for last 6 months) but I am on average only using 97kWh a month of electric. So multiply that out to whatever your usage is for a quick reference.

Yeah, Octopus has already booked in my smart meter upgrades for 2 weeks time. Which was what I was chasing EDF to do for almost a year but never could get an appointment. I've only been with them less than a week. Already a good impression

Same here, just contacted them again now the transfer has gone through about our smart meter and they are going to do a remote reboot, then if that fails book an engineer that should be in 2-3 weeks time.

I've been trying since July to get an engineer with EDF

epg rates had previously taken the standing charges from cap, verbatim, and the unit rate is adjusted to give the target cap,
so electric 46punit+37sc, 12.5punit+31sc, posted before, for new £3.1K ish cap versus 46/34 28/10.3

with the loss of the £67, I think the best the squeezed middle can hope for is the chancellor does maintain the £2.5K cap

------------

gregs comment on octopus queues/drip-feed interesting/arrogant - hedging assurance by companies is now mandatory, who are his supposed imprudent companies ?
equally if the winter had been bad his 100% hedge would have been needed, or, maybe he has a good weather forecaster

52719289511_dda1567fe3_o_d.jpg

epg rates had previously taken the standing charges from cap, verbatim, and the unit rate is adjusted to give the target cap,
so electric 46punit+37sc, 12.5punit+31sc, posted before, for new £3.1K ish cap versus 46/34 28/10.3

with the loss of the £67, I think the best the squeezed middle can hope for is the chancellor does maintain the £2.5K cap

------------

gregs comment on octopus queues/drip-feed interesting/arrogant - hedging assurance by companies is now mandatory, who are his supposed imprudent companies ?
equally if the winter had been bad his 100% hedge would have been needed, or, maybe he has a good weather forecaster

52719289511_dda1567fe3_o_d.jpg

New cap is £3k exactly since its the new government cap. Moved from the £2.5k cap

Hedging is for large companies. Small were exempt as part of market expansion.
Thats why they went pop, pre contracted (hedged) was always more expensive so non hedged small companies got their energy cheaper on spot markets. Until they didn't.

There's a lot of pressure on Hunt to keep the current limit of 2.5k, so hopefully he'll see sense. It wouldn't even cost much now.

I agree. TBH it seems an odd hill to prostrate yourself in front of the country on, when its expected that prices will fall below gov cap in Q3 anyways.
Probably better to say I am extending the £2.5k for 3 months and scrapping the £3k cap immediately.
If prices rise significantly over expectations in future we will reassess at that point.

There's a lot of pressure on Hunt to keep the current limit of 2.5k, so hopefully he'll see sense. It wouldn't even cost much now.
This is Hunt though. As proven while he was health sec with the jr doctors, he will dig in harder than anyone without a care in the world. I can’t see it

Back
Top Bottom