Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I am not familiar with this tyre particulate pollution stuff, but airports with huge machines landing in puffs of tyre smoke, and motor racing circuits with tyres being loaded to their limit and beyond sound like they would get Greta's attention. Is the iron rimmed wheel about to make a renaissance? :)

i guess it stands to reason you will get some particulate pollution off tyres..... but i find it hard to believe that if a person drives properly that there is anything other than a negligable amount of particulate pollution from it.

i person doing donuts at the end of a car race will probably create the same amount as a few 1000*** people doing their drive to work on any given day

*** number plucked out of my exhaust.

If you weigh a brand new tyre, and then weigh it again when it's at the legal limit, that weight of rubber has gone "somewhere". Multiply that several million fold....

I suspect we might be surprised at the weight difference, I might actually see if I can find some statistics or weigh a new one against the same make, model and size worn out tyre if the opportunity presents itself.

If you weigh a brand new tyre, and then weigh it again when it's at the legal limit, that weight of rubber has gone "somewhere". Multiply that several million fold....

I suspect we might be surprised at the weight difference, I might actually see if I can find some statistics or weigh a new one against the same make, model and size worn out tyre if the opportunity presents itself.

That would actually be quite interesting.
New tyre, legal limit tyre, i can see some cords tyre ;)

Not really sure the tyre debate is specifically EVs, last time I checked all cars had tyres and there is no evidence to suggest EVs go though tyres any faster than a regular car.

Higher tyre wear more about how much right foot you give it (acceleration and braking) than the extra weight an EV may be carrying. Likewise EV specific tyres tend to use a lightly harder compound to account for that extra weight they carry.

This made me a lot happier than it probably should have :D

"£470.76 a year for gas This is an estimate based on your expected annual energy usage, and your current tariff rates, charges and discounts, including VAT."

I'm still waiting for a rebate from Ovo of nearly £700 since moving from them to Octopus about 8 months ago..... I've been to the ombudsman and apparently it's "in progress" but there was some argy bargy about my gas meter readings - despite me taking pictures on the day I switched over to them. Don't you just love a bit of admin drama?

Had an email from Scottish Power asking for readings, but www.scottishpower.co.uk isn't loading for me. However, the "enter your meter readings" link in the email seems to work...

Others had email too? Legit email?

Edit: Site loaded ok ~10mins ago.

If you weren't with scottishpower then I'd suggest it might... just might be dodgy! :D

PErsonally I'd go straight to the website and log into my account and submit the readings from there (or the app) - I'm always wary of emails these days.

I don’t get these stories about energy help continuing.

As I understand it, the price guarantee could remain in place to keep bills at £2500 instead of £3k. That’s all well and good, but if they also stop the £60 a month payment that we've all been getting, we’re still gonna be worse off surely?

I can fully believe It and don't down play the issue. but how much of that is actually dangerous and how much is heavy enough to just stick to the ground (I have no idea just putting it out there) also... let's say the difference in weight is 5kg (no idea you tell me if am way off). I do what ... 25,000 miles on a set of 4 tyres at least. I am convinced during those miles far more damage is done by the diesel my "eco" diesel has used

As I understand it, the price guarantee could remain in place to keep bills at £2500 instead of £3k. That’s all well and good, but if they also stop the £60 a month payment that we've all been getting, we’re still gonna be worse off surely?
it will go up a bit I guess i
but how much depends what the costs are come autumn. I dunno about you but I use next to no gas in summer other than my shower and a bit of dish water.... and i use less electric too (not much I admit (gross use. my net use is negative in summer but I am fortunate)

maybe I miss heard it but I thought BBC this morning suggested some energy companies are expecting an extension to. the £67 a month as well?

Last edited:

The rebate was just to help people through the worst of it, so while bills may well rise for some it is coming into the 'low season' for energy usage for most.

I got an email from Octupus yesterday saying that I get an extra £200 from the goverment for my energy bills as I have a renewable energy source, which is handy! I wasn't expecting it. I'm guessing it's because I have solar panels for water heating

I got an email from Octupus yesterday saying that I get an extra £200 from the goverment for my energy bills as I have a renewable energy source, which is handy! I wasn't expecting it. I'm guessing it's because I have solar panels for water heating
that is odd. I do too but no email (I don't mind I don't need one as my DD for last 4 months has been shamefully small)

The rebate was just to help people through the worst of it, so while bills may well rise for some it is coming into the 'low season' for energy usage for most.

Exactly.

April-June should see for most lower bills even with unit prices higher. 20% higher costs but most should see at least 20% lower consumption.
Admittedly those on minimum now probably wont see 20% down. My gas for Feb for example was about 30% less than Jan (avg per day) and about 35% down vs Dec.
March is nippy right now but expect March to average lower than Feb and by April I would say I should be towards my minimum which is about 40% of what I am using now.

Back
Top Bottom