Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

New cap is £3k exactly since its the new government cap. Moved from the £2.5k cap

Hedging is for large companies. Small were exempt as part of market expansion.
Thats why they went pop, pre contracted (hedged) was always more expensive so non hedged small companies got their energy cheaper on spot markets. Until they didn't.
they're under close supervision *now* big and small - greg jacksons just talking hyperbole, would have been interesting to see if there was more to that conversation,

yes we know what the new epg is (well is planned to be - unless they make an announcement rapidly)
BOE had estimated £3.1K prior to chancellors announcement (close enough) which the basis of earlier unit estimates,
moreover if you look how the epg standing charge have carried across from the estimated caps, and, those standiong charges have reduced (not sure why) so the unit rates is proportionately larger to meet the target EPG.

-----------

After reading IEA 02/23 Natural gas supply-demand balance of the European Union in 2023/24 definitely too early to hope for long term fixed tarifs , just need a bad winter to mess up these estimated falling caps,
let's see if Greg's a betting man.

52720517015_85b57b33d4_o_d.jpg

Do Octopus supply you with one of these IHD's or do you have to buy one?

They told me they were completely out of stock of them for months but only recently got them back in stock and trying to backfill the waiting list for them, however, there is a 50/50 chance of me getting one when they come around in a couple of weeks to upgrade my meters. Fingers crossed

The tracker predicting tool is also miles out for every day after today.

I suspect it was showing people that value instead of actual. It thinks the price is +10p/kWh for all future dates.
I've had a look at what the API returns, and there's no proper values in there beyond the current day. It's either historical values from last year, or some high default values. It's only updated just after midnight.
/edit and today it only updated at like 8am!

Last edited:

Spring Budget 2023: Reduce VAT on public charging to drive EV transition​

Chancellor must be bold with green initiatives.

Reducing VAT on public charging for electric vehicles (EV) from 20% to 5% so it aligns with the rate for domestic charging is a must for the Chancellor.

Drivers with off-street parking currently only pay 5% VAT. This pointless disparity discriminates against drivers without driveways or garages and risks undermining the UK’s net zero strategy and dampening the recent growth of EV sales.

or the reverse ? - charge VAT on the home consumption ev tarifs during ev time segment, if you have an smart charger just on charge utilised by car,
or, reduce public charger vat , and have annual mileage based VAT charge(like NZ legislation) ... need to bight the bullet sometime.

moving with the times - 30 bay charger being installed in Ambridge now,

or the reverse ? - charge VAT on the home consumption ev tarifs during ev time segment, if you have an smart charger just on charge utilised by car,
or, reduce public charger vat , and have annual mileage based VAT charge(like NZ legislation) ... need to bight the bullet sometime.

moving with the times - 30 bay charger being installed in Ambridge now,
arent we already charged vat on home consumption???

arent we already charged vat on home consumption???

5% this is an alignment issue
VAT is one of the, if not the, most illogical taxes there is anyway. Needs a complete overhaul.

Eg A couple of years ago they recognised that ebooks didnt make sense to be charged VAT when paperbacked books didnt, but they didnt change audiobooks.
Arguing that somehow an audio version of the same thing was a different thing to a written version.
I bet it would have blown their minds to uncover that my ebook reader could also "read" the book just in a semi nasty americanised accent

Last edited:
This customer of mine is practising eeking out his tyre life already. Not bad, needs evening out a bit more, but a fair first attempt.

s500_1.jpg
Yeah I saw and posted about that before

I guess it would be even more common if tyres were taxed directly.
Plus of course booze tyre cruises could become a thing

Even more chance of some scrote trying to steal your rims then

Back
Top Bottom