Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Hydrogen - they introduce an odor into the hydrogen, and, I assume, have more sensitive/extensive gas detectors mandated (stupidly we've only had a CO detector for a few years, although combi probably has some smarts too).

Read several articles about ev's use in our climate enhanced summers, and, like people preconceptions for hydrogen(r101 etc), implications of faulty cooling systems or misuse may introduce fire concerns.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...emperatures-break-down-electric-car-batteries high temperatures are an averse environment for ev's
https://carnewschina.com/2022/04/18/chinese-electric-vehicles-are-on-fire/ some poor designs
Can the odour molecules get through as small a leak as the hydrogen molecules can?

Damn - missed the drop in heating oil price - Seems it bottomed out up here at 50.2p per Ltr - Just ordered 1K litres to top up my tank if it will go in - So it's now 59.2p - This load is funded by Premium bond wins since xmas. So really it's like free oil .
Any more wins I can splash out on booze and women.:)

Richie is a very low user so the SC for him is disproportionate.

Agile and tracker are both low right now and risky heading into winter. It may beat them in 3-4 months time.
Assuming by beat you mean whats cheapest.
Ahh ok. However, just checked and that fuse standing charge is 44p versus agile 32p. Octopus have zero exit fees so you can always jump if things do indeed go hey-wire come Winter.

Ahh ok. However, just checked and that fuse standing charge is 44p versus agile 32p. Octopus have zero exit fees so you can always jump if things do indeed go hey-wire come Winter.

Yep I have been with Octopus on tracker gas for some time, my elec is solar so im on go there.

The issue with the tracker and agile are they are variable and if it all goes mad then your having to decide is this a temporary drop so hold out, or a longer term one so move. 9 month rejoining block for tracker not sure on agile if thats one of the one month blocks (leaving a smart tariff is supposed to be a one month block on most T&Cs) means your unlikely to be quick to drop.
When considering Agile you need to understand time of use, very low users could be using mainly in peak and hence its not a good call at all.

Agile service charge is now 45p by the way. I assume you have been on it a while.

I don't disagree BTW, both are good tariffs, in fact all Octopus are in the right circumstances.

So I'm approaching had enough of EDF (I never chose to be with them anyway) and it appears octopus are the way to go.

What would be the suggestion for a bog standard reasonable usage, 2 adults at home, no electric cars (yet) and no solar panels or prospect of them type of badly insulated old house?

is it the tracker on the assumptions things will continue drifting down?

So I'm approaching had enough of EDF (I never chose to be with them anyway) and it appears octopus are the way to go.

What would be the suggestion for a bog standard reasonable usage, 2 adults at home, no electric cars (yet) and no solar panels or prospect of them type of badly insulated old house?

is it the tracker on the assumptions things will continue drifting down?

Tracker now (both gas and electric) , but be willing to switch later to standard type account.

Agile is as mentioned above good, especially if you can move usage around a bit. Its typically more than std tariffs on peak times though (both now and historically)
Both tracker and agile are risky moving into winter.
The tracker has a 9 month cooling off period to rejoin if you leave so bear that in mind.
I think agile might be a month only.

Remember to butter someone up who is with Octopus already for a referral for £50 each.
Plenty on here if you haven't got a friend or family with them

Last edited:
Seems several fixed price offerings now from w/e Times article https://www.thetimes.co.uk/money-mentor/article/fixed-energy-deal/
But with the stabilising of wholesale costs, fixed deals have started to make a comeback. While most of the fixed deals are reserved for their existing customers, there are a few that are available to new customers too. These include British Gas, EDF and So Energy.

british gas, anyway, seems they won't give you a quote unless you give them a dam meter number - wtf
(would have looked for older relations too)

Let’s find your address​

Please enter your meter reference number. We need this to locate your property and give you an accurate quote. You’ll find it on an old energy bill. It’s different from meter readings and meter serial number. Need help?

Interesting, first new supplier in some time

@Richie could be worth you looking at

Cheers for that... I had a look but I'd only save 90p/month in SC from what I can get on "loyalty deal" from EonNext and a 5otal of £3.34/month on elec... not sure it's worth it as then I would have gas and elec on 2 different suppliers.

Thier "special SC" is still higher for my area than "normal SC" for other areas in the UK.

Screenshot-20230726-104642.png

As I said before - If unit prices are the same across the UK (per supplier) then SC should be the same across the UK. The areas producing the most electricity per capita (and a NET exporter of electricity to the rest of the UK) shouldn't be getting charged more to then have that same energy supplied.

Last edited:
Tracker now (both gas and electric) , but be willing to switch later to standard type account.

Agile is as mentioned above good, especially if you can move usage around a bit. Its typically more than std tariffs on peak times though (both now and historically)
Both tracker and agile are risky moving into winter.
The tracker has a 9 month cooling off period to rejoin if you leave so bear that in mind.
I think agile might be a month only.

Remember to butter someone up who is with Octopus already for a referral for £50 each.
Plenty on here if you haven't got a friend or family with them
To be honest I'm not all that bothered about it being the cheapest, I just hate EDF and want to be not ripped off but with reasonable service.

Everything seems surrounded by landmines to the point where I get terminal inertia...

I can afford to use energy like I do now, during the day etc.. I don't have kids here so the washing machine goes on maybe 2 or 3 times a week, the dishwasher every night, the heating when I want it and I have basically no desire or intention to change that to make minor savings. I don't need to.

In the fulness of time I want to move to a very well insulated house with solar panels and an electric car but that's not for the next couple of years at least.

What I feel I need is whatever the "this is the standard rate no lock ins but no mad rip offs" tariff is?

I just went ahead and fixed for the year on the EonNext Loyalty v4 tariff... Not sure prices will change much to impact myself (SC may actually go up but it's lower than their SVR SC by about 10% which I would default.to on 1st Aug anyways)

Screenshot-20230726-120459.png

To be honest I'm not all that bothered about it being the cheapest, I just hate EDF and want to be not ripped off but with reasonable service.

Everything seems surrounded by landmines to the point where I get terminal inertia...

I can afford to use energy like I do now, during the day etc.. I don't have kids here so the washing machine goes on maybe 2 or 3 times a week, the dishwasher every night, the heating when I want it and I have basically no desire or intention to change that to make minor savings. I don't need to.

In the fulness of time I want to move to a very well insulated house with solar panels and an electric car but that's not for the next couple of years at least.

What I feel I need is whatever the "this is the standard rate no lock ins but no mad rip offs" tariff is?

Their standard is flexible Octopus
You move onto that at the start by default anyway

Apart from the special tariffs on Octopus (of which I get no benefit due to my usage), what, specifically, is bad about the one I put up?
Never stated it was bad but for a loyalty based fixed, which is only marginally under the July SVT cap, it is certainly not great either. If your usage is low, so price certainty on the standing charges are key for 12 months, it is certainly not the worst deal on the market if that helps (:

Apologies, it wasn't meant as a defensive position or a dig at you, it was a genuine question in case I missed something.

My thinking was, even if unit rate comes down 10%, it won't save me very much and I seriously doubt SC is coming down :(

Back
Top Bottom