Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

As an aside, can someone ping when I should fix my gas :cry:

I assume gas tracker till early winter/late autumn - but you can't sign up again for 9 months(?) So I assume there is some advanced maths to rinse it periodically :cry:

As an aside, can someone ping when I should fix my gas :cry:

I assume gas tracker till early winter/late autumn - but you can't sign up again for 9 months(?) So I assume there is some advanced maths to rinse it periodically :cry:

Not really

IMO unless prices go silly just stay on tracker.
If they go silly and look to stay silly then switch.

Chaps - how does one see live "cost" data when on the smart Octopus tariffs? I can see usage but no idea how much on cost...

Plunge pricing tomorrow folks. 10.5 hours in fact. Going to be charging the EV and have every light in the house on!

Days like today are why I stopped on Agile :D

I reckon I might hit negative average pricing today :eek: Yesterday came out at about 3p per kWh.

Last edited:
Well, we just had our first bill from Octopus on Agile. We switched from Shell last month. Obviously the unit rate dropping slightly will have dropped our bill some. However, this months bill is just shy of £50 cheaper. I'm very happy with our switch!

Agile wouldn't really be much, if any, advantage for my home

1200 kWh per annum Elec, 4200 kWh per annum Gas on average and the house is empty 8-5 Mon/Fri.

No EV
No Solar
No Batteries

Unless someone with more knowledge thinks different?

Last edited:
You're never going to save loads with only 1200 kWh elec usage per year.

That's 3.28 kWh per day on average, you must not use much electric stuff at all.

My June usage was 76kWh so 2.53kWh/day and the same for May.

EonNext is offering a "loyalty" plan fixed for 12 months (all including VAT below:

Current:
Elec: 33.76p/kWh, 52.12p SC
Gas: 10.56p/kWh, 24.23p SC

Loyalty:
Elec: 30.83/kWh, 58.42p SC
Gas: 7.71p/kWh, 27.22p SC

Not sure whether to take it. It's cheaper than the SVR which I will go onto in August but unaware is EPG is still in place from August and are prices likely to fall over the period?

My spreadsheet says I'll save £13/month on the fix so about 16% saving

Defaulting onto SVR will be £5/month more than the new fix (still £10/month less than current)

I still hate that proportionally obscene SCs I have to pay.

Last edited:
My June usage was 76kWh so 2.53kWh/day and the same for May.

EonNext is offering a "loyalty" plan fixed for 12 months (all including VAT below:

Current:
Elec: 33.76p/kWh, 52.12p SC
Gas: 10.56p/kWh, 24.23p SC

Loyalty:
Elec: 30.83/kWh, 58.42p SC
Gas: 7.71p/kWh, 27.22p SC

Not sure whether to take it. It's cheaper than the SVR which I will go onto in August but unaware is EPG is still in place from August and are prices likely to fall over the period?

My spreadsheet says I'll save £13/month on the fix so about 16% saving

Defaulting onto SVR will be £5/month more than the new fix (still £10/month less than current)

I still hate that proportionally obscene SCs I have to pay.

I feel the same, don't see its right to be charged more per month on the SC than you use in actual electricity!.

My actual electric use cost per month is just under £5, yet my SC per month is just under £15, (42p per day)
looks like it will be going up to 60p per day come renewal (September)

Last edited:
I feel the same, don't see its right to be charged more per month on the SC than you use in actual electricity!.

My actual electric use cost per month is just under £5, yet my SC per month is just under £15, (42p per day)
looks like it will be going up to 60p per day come renewal (September)

Once I include Gas, it's almost £1/day beforeive done anything. That's on SVR rates (the loyalty is less but £75/fuel to cancel it)

What are people's thoughts on the current Octopus gas tracker capped at 30p/kWh? I'm currently on it capped at 16p, and while (IIRC) it hasn't hit the cap since I've been on it, potentially looking at £500/month of gas if it DOES hit the 30p cap next winter.

I realise this is very much "pull out your crystal ball", but what are the chances of prices reaching that point for any significant period in the next 12 months?

mine was done before 7th july as per their email. give them a call, they pretty good at sorted things while you talk to them
Funnily this was sorted by the end of the day without a call, maybe they're monitoring us :D

Was nice to see just over 8p/unit for leccy yesterday.

What are people's thoughts on the current Octopus gas tracker capped at 30p/kWh? I'm currently on it capped at 16p, and while (IIRC) it hasn't hit the cap since I've been on it, potentially looking at £500/month of gas if it DOES hit the 30p cap next winter.

I realise this is very much "pull out your crystal ball", but what are the chances of prices reaching that point for any significant period in the next 12 months?

Are you locked into it? I had the same thought with Agile and electricity, the cap there being £1/kWh. I'm not locked into it though, if it ever spikes and holds I'll just jump ship to a normal tariff.

If its gets anywhere near the svr, I will switch and just ask to be put on the WL again.

Are you locked into it? I had the same thought with Agile and electricity, the cap there being £1/kWh. I'm not locked into it though, if it ever spikes and holds I'll just jump ship to a normal tariff.

Not locked in, but it can take up to 2 weeks to switch away, so potentially still £2-300+ for those couple of weeks!

Looking at the average daily price over the last 12 months, it's ~7.1p/kWh, which is only just below the current fix of 7.6p/kWh.

While that's not a very good indicator, given that the majority of usage will be during peak colder months (e.g. November-Feb) where the unit rate is likely to be more expensive, it seems it's not such a good idea.

However, on the flip side; obviously past performance is not indicative of future results, and the fix rate wouldn't be lower if they didn't think that the average price was going to come down.

Back
Top Bottom