Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

How are we?
I bet if there was no price cap & no EBSS in place over the past 12 months you'd be screaming to high heaven about the lack of price control.
I also assume you cared when BG were making yearly losses?

How are we not being ripped off?

About half of British Gas's profit - £500m - was due to changes to the price cap made by the energy regulator. By comparison, the business reported a profit of £98m in the same period last year.

Also, you make it sound like they’ve been operating at a loss for years, twice in the last 15+. Yeah, my heart bled.

Last edited:
BG making record profits, price cap is a scam as is Ofgem. We are being robbed blind.

Why are you surprised on this news?
British Gas costs haven’t/didn’t go up- they just happened to benefit from the higher energy commodity cost, which they, Ofgem and the UK Government have no control over.

Is it right - no

The solution
  1. Build up more renewables and nuclear to remove reliance on global traded gas.
  2. Split gas and other energy charges for customer billing.

Economy 7 user:

Current tariff: Flexible Octopus

Standing charge: Electricity: 48.76p per day

Electricity (day): 36.80p per kWh
Electricity (night): 16.40p per kWh

Standing charge: Gas: 27.47p per day

Gas: 7.38p per kWh

-------------------

Available: Loyal Octopus 12M Fixed

Electricity:

Daily standing charge 48.76p /day
Unit rate (day) 34.34p /kWh
Unit rate (night) 15.31p /kWh
Early exit fee (For changing tariff or supplier) £75

Gas
Daily standing charge 27.47p /day
Unit rate 6.92p /kWh

-------------

Is this worth going for in your opinion? It seems i can save approx £45 per month if i fix for 12 months or wait as prices are expected to lower further in Oct..............

Last edited:
Is this worth going for in your opinion? It seems i can save approx £45 per month if i fix for 12 months or wait as prices are expected to lower further in Oct..............

I fixed today on the same tarrif ( no Gas ) also on ECO 7! . Yes they may lower but they might also go up again before then. If it drops a lot, I'll pay the EXIT fee. But I don't see that happening. £45 per month is a good saving. Even more so now as the day and night rates are even lower :)

Last edited:
Ouch

Standing Charge/Unit Costs forecasts:
Oct-Dec 23SC (£/day): Elec-0.50, Gas-0.29UC (p/kWh): Elec-28.27, Gas-7.06
Jan-Mar 24SC (£/day): Elec-0.50, Gas-0.29UC (p/kWh): Elec-29.46, Gas-7.63
Apr-Jun 24SC (£/day): Elec-0.57, Gas-0.29UC (p/kWh): Elec-27.83, Gas-7.39
Jul-Sept 24SC (£/day): Elec-0.57, Gas-0.29UC (p/kWh): Elec-26.70, Gas-7.25
Ofgem sadly made a decision on the SC, and looks like government has no incentive to change it, so we on that path now. Its just a question of how long now until electric is £1 a day just to be connected. Combined SC charges already very close.

Ofgem quoting annual average costs also help mask whats going on.

Economy 7 user:

-------------------

Electricity:

Gas
Unit rate 6.92p /kWh

-------------

Do you need full eco7? If you have a smart meter you can get Octopus Go which reduces your day rate and your night rate substantially, just for fewer hours (4 instead of 7).

Economy 7 user:

-------------------

Electricity:

Gas
Unit rate 6.92p /kWh

-------------

Currently paying £296.043 per month, Octopus says the new tariff is £251.36 per month, so i minused the old and new estimate to give me the £45 saving - but after sleeping on it, that doesn't look right!

My current annual estimate is £3,208.66 with the new tariff being £3,016.29, so an annual saving of £192.37 or a £16.03 monthly saving, not £45.

No idea where i went wrong

Last edited:
Currently paying £296.043 per month, Octopus says the new tariff is £251.36 per month, so i minused the old and new estimate to give me the £45 saving - but after sleeping on it, that doesn't look right!

My current annual estimate is £3,208.66 with the new tariff being £3,016.29, so an annual saving of £192.37 or a £16.03 monthly saving, not £45.

No idea where i went wrong
Usage fluctuates so just focus on per kWh saving.

Octopus Energy make little profit & invest heavily back into energy infrastructure.
Octopus are a well run company on the face of it but nothing like a public company. I give them a lot of credit for launching the tracker tariff (which I’m on) because beyond that consumers basically have the illusion of choice at the moment. Which is what inevitably happens when you privatise an essential service and poorly regulate it.

How are we not being ripped off?

Also, you make it sound like they’ve been operating at a loss for years, twice in the last 15+. Yeah, my heart bled.
BG made either £20 or £90 profit per customer last FY, I don't call that ripped off. Octopus and other suppliers made similar or losses.
People can't surely complain about "OTT" profits, yet also ignore losses, also see Shell, BP etc....

Ofgem sadly made a decision on the SC, and looks like government has no incentive to change it, so we on that path now. Its just a question of how long now until electric is £1 a day just to be connected. Combined SC charges already very close.
So ~2 units of leccy? Call that pretty cheap tbh, given the stability of service (here anyway) where the power is generated from and distance travelled, the quantity of cabling, repairs, maintenance, distribution etc...
Bear in mind the energy suppliers don't keep the S.C.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom