Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Should we start to worry now or remain patient?

Wondering the same, not a pleasant graph to look at, wondering if it's worth moving to the fix at 6.8p/kWh.

We used about 6,500kwh from October-March last winter, and the average tracker price was around 6-7p (can't be bothered to work it out exactly) - do we think it's going to go higher or lower this year? Potential savings are ~£150 for that period if the price hovers around 4-5p, vs ~£1,500 extra if the tracker heads towards the 30p cap...

Last edited:
Wondering the same, not a pleasant graph to look at, wondering if it's worth moving to the fix at 6.8p/kWh.

We used about 6,500kwh from October-March last winter, and the average tracker price was around 6-7p (can't be bothered to work it out exactly) - do we think it's going to go higher or lower this year? Potential savings are ~£150 for that period if the price hovers around 4-5p, vs ~£1,500 extra if the tracker heads towards the 30p cap...

Well, I highly doubt were going to see this again:
Capture.png

Electric is going to be lower again tomorrow and most probably a lot lower until the weekend due to the incoming storm, but I'm more focused on the Gas and what it'll do

EON are a bunch of chancers aren't they. 'You need to complete an account review because you aren't paying enough' - we pay £44/month on the gas which is currently £249 in credit and last winter we used around £70/month. So a deficit of £26 a month to eat into our credit balance a little bit, don't see anything wrong there.

Electric we pay £49/month, using around £77/month on average, balance is £227 in credit. More than enough to cover it for now, but no, they demand more. You can **** right off.

EON are a bunch of chancers aren't they. 'You need to complete an account review because you aren't paying enough' - we pay £44/month on the gas which is currently £249 in credit and last winter we used around £70/month. So a deficit of £26 a month to eat into our credit balance a little bit, don't see anything wrong there.

Electric we pay £49/month, using around £77/month on average, balance is £227 in credit. More than enough to cover it for now, but no, they demand more. You can **** right off.

I had a look at mine just now. Currently I am £310 in credit.

I checked my previous 6 month period covering Oct to March (traditonally the more expensive months due to extra lights/heating). I then took that usage (in kWh) and, using the current Fix rate I am on until Aug next year and added a 20% increase as a buffer, worked out what I would spend. My CURRENT monthly payment will cover that full period (only just)

I'm tempted to get a £250 refund of my credit balance and leave it wil £60 as a buffer, bearing in mind I factored in an increase on last years usage by 20% already.

I had a look at mine just now. Currently I am £310 in credit.

I checked my previous 6 month period covering Oct to March (traditonally the more expensive months due to extra lights/heating). I then took that usage (in kWh) and, using the current Fix rate I am on until Aug next year and added a 20% increase as a buffer, worked out what I would spend. My CURRENT monthly payment will cover that full period (only just)

I'm tempted to get a £250 refund of my credit balance and leave it wil £60 as a buffer, bearing in mind I factored in an increase on last years usage by 20% already.
Good luck trying to get a refund from an energy company. Finding Lord Lucan is an easier task than that!

Capture.png

Electric is going to be lower again tomorrow and most probably a lot lower until the weekend due to the incoming storm, but I'm more focused on the Gas and what it'll do

Yeah, I'm not too fussed about electric, like you, it's the gas which I'm more interested in.

Good luck trying to get a refund from an energy company. Finding Lord Lucan is an easier task than that!

I got £400 back from Octopus within 48hrs of sending them an email requesting it :)

Last edited:
Have to say apart from building up a big balance and having resistance getting it back Scottish power have been spot on. I'm actually paying a tad more than recommended.

It was like the positive balance was being seen as 0 as once I got it refunded the DD didn't change.

Seems to be going ok.

They asked for my current readings to take that amount off and then asked how much I would like back.

Its at this point I noticed there is a system on the EonNext App to request a partial refund if you want it (middle of screenshot below)

Screenshot-20231016-202831.png

When you click on it, it takes you through the process and states the money will be in your account within 10 days.

I didn't do it though as I have arranged it on WhatsApp chat with them before I realised it was there... Thought I would post it for others benefit.

you missed sep/oct (posted before) which shows what can happen if/when the wind is turned off .. those were the electricity peaks, when they burned gas too, to make electricty, pushing that up.
and if it recurs would be the stick or 9month twist tracker decision -

does the octopus app show what you would have paid with your historic monthly consumption, and associated tracker rates. versus cap (you could do it with excel too)
the cap rates are calculated with the best guesses of previous years renewable availibility, so wouldn't expect the gain/loss versus tracker to be so large.

Gas is going to be 5.24p tomorrow. Is this reason to celebrate and be optimistic?

I think the Gas Market got a bit jittery because of the Israeli/Palastain war breaking out. After a few days, it always settles down a bit. I think personally we've seen the worst of the price rises unless there's a massive escalation in the Middle East.

I think the Gas Market got a bit jittery because of the Israeli/Palastain war breaking out. After a few days, it always settles down a bit. I think personally we've seen the worst of the price rises unless there's a massive escalation in the Middle East.
Thanks. I assume you are on the tracker. Are you staying on it?

Back
Top Bottom